How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-11-2009
V.I.P.

oh, jarvis' thread!!!!!
how come i had no idea we had one???

14-11-2009
front row

Oh love Pulp, and Jarvis's voice

14-11-2009
Stitch:the Hand

the trees,those useless trees...produce the air we are breathing

we love life is by far my favourite album of pulp. and they've done other great stuff but i say it's no thanks to the masterful production by the legendary scott walker.

15-11-2009
V.I.P.

He wrote a song with Wes Andeson for Fantastic Mr. Fox. Could there be a more heavenly collaboration?

don't look down

Interview in The Observer Magazine (observer.co.uk):

Quote:
This much I know: Jarvis Cocker

The singer, 46, on fame, ageing and drinking milk from a bottle

My greatest talent is to sing and move my hands at the same time. It's not something I've thought through; it's not that I'm trying to do signing. But it's nice – you can move your hands and shape the words. Shirley Bassey's very good at it.

I wanted to be famous when I was young. I wanted to be a pop star. I was a shy child and I had this idea that if I became famous it would be a social enabler.

I found it difficult - I still find it difficult now - to go up and start talking to somebody. I always think I'm imposing on them, getting on their nerves. I thought: if I'm famous, people will come and talk to me; once that's out of the way, it'll be OK.

I'm not very keen on ageing. I'm not keen on the physical decay. I probably am quite vain. I think you want to try and look OK for the benefit of other people.

I haven't got any phobias. But there are things that I dislike intensely. When a drink leaves a film on the side of a glass, I find that a bit bad. If I saw somebody drinking milk from a bottle, and there's a creamy deposit left on the glass – I hate that.

Money isn't important, but you have to have enough, so you don't have to think about it. Thinking about money is a drag.

I haven't sought therapy, but I think it could speed the process of getting through depression. You can get through it yourself, but speaking to someone else might make it faster – and in the end that's what you want. Depression is incapacitating; you don't do as much. You waste time.

I would like to believe in an afterlife; it makes things more palatable. But I'm not banking on it.

I am passionate about keeping the human dimension in things. You have to keep the rough edges and the inconsistencies, that's what makes it interesting. I've always striven to be as sloppy as possible.

The muddling through life is the exciting bit of it.

I am the happiest I've been for a long time.

Not Thinking About Time

Had no idea we had a Jarvis thread. I have been obsessed with Pulp since middle school.

Portfolio Last FM
23-11-2012
tfs star

On Wednesday I went to a Pulp concert in Buenos Aires. Best I´ve seen in ages. Pulp is perfect in 2012, better than before, if that´s possible. And Jarvis is just so great, histrionic, Dionysian. Perfect concert.

23-11-2012
rising star

^ I went too! It was REALLY awesome, best concert I've seen probably (and I've went to Arctic Monkeys show who are my favourite band). Jarvis energy is contagious, his moves and little dances. The band was awesome too.
Later on thursdary I went to see Soko and Nick, the drummer, and the vionilist were there and they improvised a little bit, that was pretty cool! But it's another story hahhah

23-11-2012
tfs star

A feast of music and class after all these years of waiting.
Jarvis seemed so happy and full of energy, like a mad energizer bunny.he is such a sexy cheeky elf. Love him even more now. So long and elegant, even drenched in sweat. chiche bombonazo.

They played all we wanted and more, generously they stayed and stayed until we were happy and full. They really spoiled us and made up for all these years.

23-11-2012

i saw them earlier this year at coachella and literally was the best performance of the festival.

are they working on new material? i hope so. it's been ages.

24-11-2012
tfs star

I've read something about maybe a new album. yes, they're just better than ever. i'm a fan
but besides that, any impartial observer can tell sincerely that they're better now than in 1998.

24-11-2012
V.I.P.

I never cared much for his music, still don't, only a couple of Pulp songs manage to interest me but I saw them earlier this year as well (almost accidentally) and there's just something about Jarvis, his presence, elegance.. he's such a stylish man, pretty magnetic, everyone around me (that didn't seem to know much about him either) had a 'not impressed/can't stop looking' expression during their performance, it was awesome.

tfs star

He is such a magnetic presence, you just can´t take your eyes out of him.

26-11-2012

it's that charisma....it's not contrived or pretentious but just natural and enigmatic. it's difficult to explain but it never looks like he's trying too hard.

30-11-2012
tfs star

This is coolness and elegance in the XXI century.This is hardcore.

Picture from ****yeah-jarviscocker.tumblr.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_m7vyw7WTCX1rxguspo2_1280.jpg (231.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by newprincesita; 30-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cocker, jarvis, pulp