How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2011
V.I.P.

The Penn staring movie will don't have any Jeff song in it, it will just concentrate on Jeff singing at his father's memorial tribute in 1991. With such bad actors and credits I'm sure it will be a straight to dvd or at least a very limited release.
The official biopic however, which is the most important, will probably have an unknown for the lead. No Franco, no Pattinson (). Here is the interview with one of the producers:
Quote:
"Penn is not involved in the film at all," Williams said in a phone interview. "It's crazy how these stories get out." When asked about Pattinson's involvement with the film, Williams said that although he's a fan of the British actor, he'd only had preliminary meetings with Pattinson, who was interested in auditioning for the film project, now almost six years in the making. Williams, along with producer Michelle Sy, casting director Billy Hopkins and executive producer Mary Guibert, Buckley's mother, are still seeking out actors for the casting process, which will likely begin in October, Williams said.

Most likely, the film will star an unknown actor who can portray Buckley without the weight of any preconceived Hollywood expectations, added Williams, who helped cast Sam Riley in the lead role of Ian Curtis in the 2007 biopic "Control" about the Joy Division front man. Williams said he's hoping to follow the same standards of finding someone with a low profile who can deliver Buckley's intense personality and haunting falsetto. "[The producers] are all very unified in our search to find the perfect person to play Jeff," Williams said.

Currently, the film is set to shoot in New York and Tennessee, where the story largely takes place. Though he rebuts rumors regarding the part of Buckley, Williams said that all kinds of actors and musicians have expressed interest in auditioning.

"When you have a story about an individual like Jeff you get a lot of interest because his life was so impactful and so short," Williams said.

Buckley was 30 when he drowned in May 1997 after deciding to go swimming in Wolf River Harbor, a slack water channel of the Mississippi River. News of a film about his life circulated as early as 2006, two years before Williams came to the project. Williams said that though the film has had a long gestation period, many measures have been taken to make sure that the foundation and intentions are authentic.

"We’re being very careful about it as we move forward," Williams said. “It takes a while to perfect this type of film. You’ve got to do it for the right reasons.”
latimesblogs

And Mulletproof, about Mary, she said she didn't want to do a movie about Jeff but Holywood kept pressuring her so instead of letting idiots going around it, like the Greetings from Tim Buckley movie for example is doing now, she decided to do it while she's still around and will have control over it.
But I remain absolutely certain that a movie, of any kind, would be the last thing Jeff would have wanted. He always said :''IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC''! not him. He loathed the press for trying to get personal information. So, this sucks But if it is that unavoidable now, at least get an actor who can do him justice, without his celebrity overshadow what the film is about.

Last edited by melfreya; 21-06-2011 at 06:38 PM.

22-06-2011
rising star

Correct me if I'm wrong but the storyline about Jeff "coming to understand" his relationship with his father through a pre-gig romance is just a load of Hollywood schmaltz right? If so that's pretty icky. It's sounding bad already.

V.I.P.

^yes it is! Jeff attended the tribute because he needed to pay his respects to his father, as we hasn't invited to his funeral in '75. Throughout his career he never sang any of his father's songs again, (except for once, and he was really pissed off about it because audience members wouldn't shut up until he sang one). His relationship with his father was extremely rocky and he certainly didn't suddenly warm up to him through his relationship with Rebecca Moore who he met during those rehearsals or through that concert. Rebecca Moore has never given an interview discussing Jeff's career so let alone revealing their discussions during their relationship. So, it's safe to say, it's gonna be a pretty ****ty movie.

Last edited by melfreya; 22-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.
22-06-2011
rising star

Yes, I was aware of his tumultuous relationship with his father but had a feeling that whole meets-girl-repairs-relationship-with-dad thing was completely fabricated. Agree, I'm not feeling hopeful about this film!

rising star

why does anyone need a biopic. theyre a disease. whoever does this in the end, its going to be pointless, infuriating on top of just crap. i dont even need to see it to know it. lol@ any serious actor/director even considering this. you cant make a film starring a tribute act. get down the fugging kareoke night and spare us all yr deep and meaningful puddle. attention money grabbing whores the lot of them.

26-06-2011
rising star

* not just this example. all of them about musicians, especially singers.
also, jeffs mother, although a control freak obviously consumed by grief, i understand her predicament here, wanting to at least see over the inevitable. it was the same with debbie curtis and she hated it. it never portrays the artist in an unfavourable (read: realistic) light. for example, ian was a knob...

17-08-2011
backstage pass

Almost 17 years since I first heard "Last Goodbye" and Jeff is still my favorite musician of all time. With all the fabulous music out there, still no one even comes close. I had the pleasure of meeting him on two occasions and seeing him perform live numerous times. "Lover...", "Lilac Wine", "Last Goodbye", and "Hallelujah" are favorites of mine off Grace but his version of Van Morrison's "The Way Young Lovers Do" and his unrecorded song "What Will You Say" are dear to me as well. Actually his performance of the latter at Glastonbury '95 is one of my favorite performances of his ever.

Last edited by hedur; 17-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.
17-08-2011
V.I.P.

Hedur you've met him?? Can you share your stories? I first listened to him in '96 and being 13 then I couldn't really travel abroad to see him in concert It's still is one of my biggest sorrows. The Mojo Pin version in Glastonbury is the best version of the song imo, better than the Grace version

Also in movie news, Reeve Carney would play him in the official biopic, so that's good!

Last edited by melfreya; 17-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
17-08-2011
backstage pass

Melfreya, both times were just your run-of-the-mill-fan-meeting-a-musician-they-admire kind of thing. I stuttered and said stupid things (I'm sure :p) and he was polite and kind and thanked me very much. The first time was at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco (he had come out after the show to have a drink at the bar) and the second time (and last time I saw him live before he died) was his New Years show in NYC in '95. I remember him saying something about needing to quit smoking for the sake of his voice and I mumbled something awkward about him sounding great anyway.

I'll definitely see the movies but I don't have high expectations for them. But if they can introduce more people to Jeff's music then I guess that's a good thing.

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

Oh I'm sure you were just fine and awkwardly sweet! Lucky lucky girl!
I think I'll only watch the official one, because it claims to be more accurate, based on his journals and everything, and I read that they will try to portray Jeff as the goofball that he was rather than the brooding rock star myth the media created after his death which the other biopics will focus on. Ugh, makes me mad just thinking about it

18-08-2011
backstage pass

This thread has made me nostalgic for all things Jeff so, for anyone who's interested in seeing it, I thought I'd scan in the program from his public memorial that took place at St. Ann's Church in Brroklyn, NY. I had just graduated college and was spending the summer in Manhattan so I was fortunate enough to be able to be there. It was a very sad and special day.

source: my scans

Last edited by hedur; 18-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buckley, jeff