How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-03-2007
V.I.P.

I have heard a lot of her but never her music. Somehow hearing about someone before actually hearing their music does not suit to me. I attach Newsom to be some kind of semi-profound hipster singer for indie girls, but maybe my image is not right.

To get the best impression on her, what song should I listen?

17-03-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Wow, she's amazing! I love her music. Thanks so much for introducing me to her!

17-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper
At first her voice was a bit unexpected
But somehow after a few more listens her voice is simply beautiful now ans her music just flows...
I completely agree,

Someone said ''otherworldly'' to describe her sound.. I think that's really a perfect description.

They were leafing through your hair
17-03-2007
V.I.P.

yep yep let's go before I turn to dust.
There was a piece about her in the newest Purple too!

02-04-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yppe
I "Monkey and Bear"
I love that one too, favourite at the moment, and from 4 weeks now, cant get enough!!!

She was the greatest thing with Milk-eyed mender and now she is awesome in Ys... : heart:

fashion insider

Her music gets better with every listen!

04-04-2007
V.I.P.

Check it out

It's an interview conducted via e-mail, between Joanna and Under the Radar magazine, which was published in the Fall 2006 issue (and coincided with the release of Ys). What she has to say about her uncalculated style and the (calculated) image that people perceive is surprisingly interesting.

seagreen serenades

to be honest, i've read quite a few interviews with her and never liked any... the first, was my very first encounter with her, in mid 2004, in an irish underground magazine. she said she was wearing a yellow poncho and jeans and, unaware of her talents, i thought, who is this person?!

05-04-2007
V.I.P.

Coming into a store, I wouldn't mind seeing my name over something like a dress if it managed to simplify my purchasing decisions. But I can imagine not everyone would appreciate the unpaid promotional work, on the store's behalf...

trendsetter

This thread needs to come back to life...

I had the chance to see Joanna perform last Sunday. I still have goosebumps and I'm floating on air, it was wonderful and magical. She is truly otherworldly, and so sweet. She was accompanied on stage by a violin, tambura and percussions, and although the gig was held at a rock club everyone in the audience were completely quiet, wanting to hear every single note. Set list: Bridges and Balloons; Emily; Monkey & Bear; Book of Right-On; Inflammatory Writ; Sawdust & Diamonds; Only Skin; Colleen; Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie. Encore: Peach, Plum, Pear.

I've been listening to Colleen and Only Skin a lot lately. I cannot comprehend how music like this can possibly even exist.

like the sky'd been breathing on a mirror

my pictures
Attached Images
File Type: png 01.png (454.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png 02.png (447.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png 05.png (438.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 03.png (460.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 04.png (444.6 KB, 8 views)

seagreen serenades

I saw her in april and it was just perfect.. someone who makes love to their instrument doesn't even cover it... it was like a perfect extension of her.

in an all-seated concert, i was about 8 rows from the front, and for some unbelievably frustrating reason, every time a song ended, about 30 people in front of me would stand up, fuss their way out of row and go to the bar, or the toilet, or God knows where. i felt so embarrassed on their behalf - like they were silently protesting the length of the songs. i could not understand this rudeness from the people who had presumably bought their tickets first. i was tempted to trip some of the regular offenders up.

16-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper View Post
At first her voice was a bit unexpected, and not in a pleasant way...
But somehow after a few more listens her voice is simply beautiful now ans her music just flows...
I completely agree. Her voice seemed contrived at first and then became addictive...

06-12-2007
front row

I am in absolute love with her voice and her music. I love listening to it when out walking, it's like being transported into a fairytale

23-08-2008
leave me with your Borneo

did anyone else catch Joanna last night with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra? she performed all of Ys with the orchestra, and then after intermission she played some earlier/newer songs with just her band. it was definitely one of the most amazing concerts i've ever seen. her voice is absolutely gorgeous live - in recordings i've always found her voice to be unique and lovely but i wasn't really prepared for how beautiful it is! 'Emily' with the orchestra was breathtaking, and i loved the pause of the entire orchestra stopping to watch her play 'Sawdust and Diamonds'.

seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag View Post
it was definitely one of the most amazing concerts i've ever seen. her voice is absolutely gorgeous live - in recordings i've always found her voice to be unique and lovely but i wasn't really prepared for how beautiful it is!
I concur

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
joanna, newsom