How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2008
Stitch:the Hand

haha! my thoughts precisely.

fab interview......i have such a soft spot for helen. loved what she said about never going mainstream,her assessment of why they're still so beloved,which i think is partly true. but she did lest to forget another reason though.....the main reason....they just continue to make effin amazing songs each album! of course,i don't think she has that kind of ego

16-06-2008

here's a short but sweet i'view with rueben-

Quote:
On June 2nd, excellent Liverpool electro-pop quartet Ladytron return with their fourth album Velocifero, but before that they're playing five dates across the UK. I spoke to keyboardist Reuben Wu.

Dazed Digital: Why did you choose to cover "Kletva", a song from a 1970s children's film?
Reuben Wu: [Vocalist] Mira [Aroyo] introduced that song to us - I think it's a beautiful track. Probably the only major key song we have ever played! It's an old Bulgarian song that is quite popular in Mira's home country

DD: Are there any other specific influences or themes we should be listening out for on the new album?
RW: Nothing specific in terms of influences, although I was listening to a lot Goblin and Pink Floyd while we were working on demos.

DD: You worked with Vicarious Bliss on the album. How much affinity do you feel with the Paris electro scene?
RW: It's nice to hear dance music which is dirty and has texture. It was obvious that something like this was going to happen, branching out from Daft Punk and all that. Electronics plus overdrive equals great. I also really like the way Justice can display their Christianity so openly.

DD: How did you get together with Assume Vivid Astrofocus, who created the album artwork and suggested the title?
RW: Eli Sudbrack came to Liverpool to do an installation in the Tate Gallery, an amazing roomful of psychedelic colour. It reminds me of a high definition version of Kandinsky. He asked us to play a short set inside the installation. It was amazing, with a real sixties vibe to it. The bass from the keyboards caused some ducting to fall onto one of the audience though. Blood everywhere. He was okay.

DD: What's your stage show going to be like on this tour?
Better than last time. We have some new toys to play with!

DD: A few years ago you DJed at my student union. Bookings like that must be weird change from touring the world?
RW: No, I love it all, bring it on..
http://www.dazeddigital.com/incoming...th-velocifero/

17-06-2008
fashion insider

Kletva - their only major key song! Love it.

And the Tate thing sounds fantastic. Apart from bass-induced ducting injuries that is.

17-06-2008

^it is though,actually...if you really think about it back to 604. it is perhaps the most traditionally-structured tune they have done.

and don't you love that he pointed out a slight distaste for the daft punk era?! i almost started applauding very loudly when i read that. it's great hearing an electronic artist finally speak out about the sameness that sound has become. and the texture aspects....exactly the reason i adore ladytron....they're music has so much texture.

19-06-2008
fashion insider

Is he really taking a shot at them? I took it as meaning that Daft Punk were the originators and others on the French electro scene (Ed Banger records at the forefront) have evolved from there in a way that Reuben likes, i.e. a dirtier, more textural sound. I was never a huge Daft Punk fan (too much vocoder) but I think artists like SebastiAn and Justice are making some great music and the production on their tracks is fantastic.

I think this development is very apparent in Ladytron's own music. By Helen's admission they've filled out their sound because they want to make music that will get the best response in a live setting.

20-06-2008
backstage pass

I love Ladytron of all my heart

Saw them in Sweden two years ago, it was great even though they seemed a bit 'shy'. But it all just worked and it turned out really cute, and with all tose analouge synths they make a pretty massive wall of sound! Velocifero is growing on me, my favourites are Ghosts, Predict the Day and Black Cat.

I think it's wierd that Reuben talks about Justice and christianity as Justice and the cross is still an unansvered (read: ansvered many times in different ways) - last Justice interview I read, they say that they chose the cross because they both had seen one when they ate magic mushrooms :p

21-07-2008
V.I.P.

In liverpool in the world museum there is an exhibition called the beat goes on its about the many many many bands to come out of liverpool.. its showing how liverpool earned its guiness world record as capital of music..

ladytron have a mention in it, talking about how they started off in liverpool underground and then grew and how they haev business ventures in the city etc. it also says that all there album covers have been done by liverpool graphics designers/artists and you can see step by step how the album covers were designed etc. alturnative ones that never got realised etc. its well worth checking out if ur in the area its good like

11-08-2008
fashion insider

New video: Runaway

Runaway

09-02-2009

so it's been confirmed that the band is producing some songs for xtina. they're in the studio still. there's even a cover of ladyhawke's 'my delerium' that they're doing. now that really astonishes me....ladyhawke just released that song and now they're doing it for crappy xtina. so if it's ultimately used for the album,how will people differentiate the original for the cover because i am almost certain every xtina fan will assume it's her song with them??

i dunno,i may purchase it if the songs are that strong. but i just cannot stand irritant-xtina and her wail of a voice.

Last edited by Scott; 09-02-2009 at 10:33 PM.
11-02-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
so it's been confirmed that the band is producing some songs for xtina. they're in the studio still. there's even a cover of ladyhawke's 'my delerium' that they're doing. now that really astonishes me....ladyhawke just released that song and now they're doing it for crappy xtina. so if it's ultimately used for the album,how will people differentiate the original for the cover because i am almost certain every xtina fan will assume it's her song with them??

isn't this the pain of famous stars making cover-songs, no matter by who? Look at Johnny Cash! Still, so many people refuses to belive me when I say "Hurt" is a cover

11-02-2009

i agree. and i'm pretty certain ladyhawke and her label agreed to it but i dunno i'm just not that fond of using such a new track to cover like that. if it were an older track,i would be okay with that but it's barely released by ladyhawke and in a few months it will potentially be on xtina's new album which will obviously overshadow the original artist. i hope not but we are talking mainstream.

15-06-2010
Looking Up

Oh good! I found their thread! I don't know why I didnt subscribe to it earlier, I love Ladytron. Ghosts and Runaway are fantastic tracks.

15-06-2010

wow i had forgotten about that discussion. and they never used my delerium,thank heavens. in fact the official song they did for xtina was actually a remake of their 'the way that i found you'.

15-06-2010
Looking Up

My Delirium is a song by Ladyhawke, she's a New Zealand singer. Ladytron was remaking that song?

15-06-2010

well there was chatter that they were going to cover it for xtina and her new album. i'm glad that never came to fruition although it probably would have been great at the hands of ladytron....not sure how it would sound with xtina's voice.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ladytron