How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Caf / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-05-2013
front row

I really like the video, I like that it shows the orchestra a lot, it makes it interesting. She looks, as always, beautiful! I love it. ♥

12-05-2013
old-fashioned

Quote:
Lana Del Rey relaxes on the beach on the cover of Fashion magazine's Summer 2013 issue, on newsstands May 20.

Here is what the 26-year-old singer had to share with the mag:

On Oscar buzz for her song “Young and Beautiful”: “Feeling like you’re respected among the people who do the same thing you do is incredible and necessary. I don’t believe in the school of hard knocks, although I’ve had them. All that stuff about whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is so not true. Do you know what makes you stronger? When people treat you and your art with dignity.”

On support from the fashion industry: “People in fashion rescued me. Because they are so much more removed from the music arena, they felt it was OK to support me when I needed it most. They never had any baggage about who I was. I think I’ve learned something from them as well: I know now that it’s really important to feel beautiful. There is a power to that.”

On her thoughts on Lindsay Lohan: “She’s really interesting, and she’s a fan of mine and she knows that I love her too. Anyone who has enough online traction and gains a lot of opinions about them can empathize with her. We are in a similar boat.”
justjared

Quote:
There are so many questions surrounding Lana Del Rey. As one of the most enigmatic pop stars of this generation, the 27-year-old talent stands as a sphinx in a sea of overexposed bold face names. Taking a break from recording “Young and Beautiful“—her just-released track off The Great Gatsby soundtrack—the Queen of Sadcore escaped from the confines of the L.A. studio she was toiling in to spend a day shooting with FASHION magazine in Malibu’s Zuma Beach area. The breath-taking beachfront spot Del Rey handpicked for the cover seemed to transport the crew into her dreamy world of ‘50s pinups and MGM icons, evoking the essence of Lana Del Rey videos off her debut, Born To Die, her latest E.P. Paradise and her new duet, “Summer Wine,” which features her boyfriend Barrie-James O’Neill.

Features Editor, Elio Iannacci had a chance to witness the magic unfold and chat with Del Rey after her epic 10-page photo shoot was done.

Here are a few of the highlights from the upcoming FASHION Magazine Summer 2013 Cover story on Lana Del Rey:

On the inspiration behind her cover look: 
“Every shoot I do, I have a theme. I’ve been watching old Spanish films and my new record has a Spanish guitar on it so that actress-signorita vibe so its been on my mind. We always listen to The Eagles “Hotel California” while we get ready.

On women she admires: 
“I believe in Amy Winehouse. I know she’s not with us anymore but I believe she was who she was and in that way she got it right. I would say an actress like Lauren Bacall also got it right. She never let anyone [persuade] her to be something she wasn’t. She was strong. She always looked like she knew what she was doing.”

On being called anti-feminist: “I get it. It looks like I’ve chosen a path of submission. But I’m a modern day woman in so many senses. I pay my way and work hard for things but it is my choice that at the end of the day I have a dominant male in my life that is hands-on. Someone who wants what he wants the way I do. I get so tired of trying to have it only my way, it’s nice to have someone else who also has their life and opinions. I have to be so assertive in life that its nice to feel escape through a really passionate romance.”

On her romance with Scottish rocker Barrie-James O’Neill: “He’s on tour and opens for me. We sing some Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood duets together. I’ve been seeing him for a year and a half and he’s even more of a meticulous, devout artist than I am. He can’t keep his hands off the piano, ever. Whenever I’m not writing he always asks, ‘why aren’t you writing?’ We kick each others asses. We give each other input every night.”

On her musical philosophy: “Einstein said ‘your imagination is more important than intelligence,’ and I have a very, very big imagination. I love to live in my internal world and will never stop seeking influences and visions for my art.”
Ph: Mark Williams and Sara Kirakawa
Styling: Hedi Meek
Fashion Director: Zeina Esmail
Hair: Anna Cofone
Makeup: Pamela Cochrane

fashionmagazine.com

justjared

Last edited by *ana*; 12-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.
12-05-2013
V.I.P.

Great shots, it looks very vintage and beautiful, really love the 2 piece striped Dolce outfit shot

12-05-2013
old-fashioned

Contents shot (one of my faves ) + cover image without text

lanadelreyfan

V.I.P.

what about the video for Cola?

13-05-2013
fashion icon

I really don't get her appeal. Can someone please explain it to me?

old-fashioned

I don't think so... it's a matter of taste and identification. There are some people that everyone seems to love and I really can't understand why, but I also never felt the need to. I don't want anyone trying to explain to me the appeal of Coldplay for example (not that I think they are in the same level of quality, of course). Sometimes we just can't relate.

For those interested, here's the Fahion spread posted in HQ, so we can read the text too.

scenester

^
Well said. It's a bit frustrating when people keep posing that very question with what seems like very little thought or examination. There's nothing wrong if she doesn't do anything for you personally but why question other people's interest? The same thing applies for any artist or individual--it's all a matter of personal preference. Music, beauty, literature and art in general are all under an umbrella of subjective sensibility. Either you can feel the allure or you can't. There is very little point in questioning the existence of said allure or for that matter even the lack of it.

15-05-2013
V.I.P.

I guess people sometimes question something like that when somebody is very popular, and they feel like they are the only person not feeling the love

old-fashioned

Great Gatsby premiere at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival (May 15)

justjared

rising star

i think she needs a stylist.. i feel she's off her "look"..for someone who says is meticulous about her image and music she's been slacking off

15-05-2013
tfs star

so happy for her! this is exactly where she always saw herself being at. and now she's there and she just deserves it

15-05-2013
V.I.P.

That dress is hideous and does nothing for her, the colour doesn't suit her skintone.

fashion elite

The dress is awful. Im sorry, but I agree, she needs a good stylist.
I was talking with a friend about she having the style but lacks on fashion. The style is there but she just needs to dress in beautiful luxurious clothes designed for her and she will be better on the red carpet (wich I believe is her weakest point).

backstage pass

I think it's very her. When you look at her style in general, it never really looks expensive.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
del, lana, rey