How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-12-2011
front row

Yeah, I don't like that music video. Too much for my taste. It doesn't do any justice to the romantic fragility vibe you get from the song. The white dress she wears is beautiful though!

15-12-2011
V.I.P.

^Completely agree. Shame about the video, because it is a nice song. Too overwhelming and over the top for my taste. Also I couldn't help but notice the bad lip sync, and her insecure look about it too. She was better at it in her self made videos.

15-12-2011
old-fashioned

Yeah, she said in some interviews how good it was that she no longer had to do it all by herself... To what point they were completely self made videos I don't care, they were definitely much better. Maybe a "more professional" footage of herself like in Blue Jeans could be good, but this video by Woodkid really made me worried about her future, aesthetically.

15-12-2011
V.I.P.

I loved everything about the video, it was so beautifully done and shot. She's with a top record label now people, they'll be no more videos that look like she did them herself. They're trying to make her appeal to a larger audience and the previous stuff just doesn't cut it.

Her future looks bright as long as she keeps a certain amount of control that makes her who she is, after all that's what has made her so popular in the first place

15-12-2011
old-fashioned

But if you think she became famous with Video Games - one of those videos... It was part of her appeal, it was different, independently of how "manufactured" it all is. It's not just about it not being self made-like, it being more mainstream, it's just that this was a bit too much. I won't mind more videos if they keep her style. As I said before, the video isn't bad, it's just too much drama and little emotion. I'd prefer some more Amy Winehouse-like videos for Lana.

Last edited by *ana*; 15-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.

15-12-2011
Feels Like Heaven

I really like the video and the song....The scene with tigers is especially really well done.

I really don't get why so many people hate her...why is she so different than any other singer today?

15-12-2011
V.I.P.

I see what you mean however she became famous for Video Games the song, not the actual video.. things and people evolve and no doubt Lana now will be completely different to Lana in 12 months. Record companies have that affect on all their artists, whether it's for the good or the bad.

15-12-2011
old-fashioned

^^I guess it's because she became famous kind of out of the blue, through youtube, no? Many people get 'famous' through youtube nowadays, but according to everything I've read (I've read many articles on Lana because she fitted the theme of a small paper I had to write for college) the buzz she created was more due to the quality of the song - many people criticized her in many aspects, but in the end many also admitted that the song was surprisingly great. Especially when people found out about her failed career as Lizzy Grant, all this "she's fake," talk started...
It's indeed not very different from any other singer (failed previous career, name change, meeting the 'right' people, etc). The only different thing about her - I think - is the pre-single/album release sudden success. Kind of Rebecca Black gone right?

Last edited by *ana*; 15-12-2011 at 05:09 PM.

15-12-2011
Feels Like Heaven

I understand your point...I immediately tought of Hurts,they started with 20$ video uploaded on you tube and look at them now.I don't think that there is anything wrong with getting famous through you tube,there are some good artist out there who just don't get a chance to be spotted by right people.

15-12-2011
V.I.P.

There's definitely nothing wrong with getting famous through youtube, it's kind of brilliant when you think about it, and I see what you mean *ana*.

15-12-2011
old-fashioned

I swear this is my last post here today! Hate to see my avatar all over this page, makes me seem like those annoying fans. Anyway, I just accidentally found this and thought it was interesting because it's from 2008.
Quote:
Lizzy Grant (12/2/08, National Underground, NYC)
By Elie Z. Perler - December 5, 2008

I have a confession for the masses. Lizzy Grant is one of my new favorite artists. Her stunning performance during CMJ inspired me (Shawn and Tom, too!) to attend her show on Tuesday night at the National Underground in New York City. And the setting was quite fitting – a dank, brick-exposed cellar with dozens of sweaty fans eager to absorb her old-fashioned cool.

Armed with a distinct voice to melt and enough reverb to drown, the sultry chanteuse charmingly ambled through an abbreviated set of infectious original compositions. Through cheek-creasing grins, she pleased with songs like “Trash Magic,” “Jump,” and “Yayo.” However, it was “Mermaid Hotel” with its teasing lyrical couplet, “Will you salute me Miss America, cos I am,” which elicited the most frequent crowd outbursts. Once the music ended, the audience still craved more and demanded an encore; Grant obliged with “Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven),” her strongest tune and likely single.

Show Notes from Shawn M. Smith: Despite being crippled by a “terrible stage fright” as she would describe it, there is a certain “something” about Lizzy that I really connect with. Maybe its growing up poor-ish in Upstate NY and how the whole “trailer park darling” aspect makes so very much sense to me. Perhaps it is that I relate to her lyrics in second hand way; most of her lyrical content sounds like the secret fears and the protected diary entries from a little girl’s stolen journal. Maybe it’s her style and delivery, but her take on jazz fusion/art pop is easy to listen to in much the same way that Lizzy is easy to look at. She’s a stunning girl; the sweet, quiet girl-next-door who never realized how pretty she was. She’s the type that didn’t need to run around chasing boys just to feel attractive, but she did it for the fun of it. That she’s that earnest at times is unnerving, but I dig that about her.

Show Notes From Tom W: I had never heard of Lizzy Grant before Tuesday night, when Shawn M. Smith urged me to go check her out. I came to the show knowing literally nothing about her but I left wanting to know a lot more. Walking into the crowded rock-lined basement was like stepping onto the set of Mad Men. Lizzy’s entire set made me feel as if I were in some smoky early ’60′s lounge; her voice is from a different era and her presence, naturally coy and shy, gives off this slightly plastic, slightly Warholian feel. The best song for me was undoubtedly “Mermaid Hotel”. It was downright sexy. Backed by a subdued band that was a perfect compliment to Lizzy and her demeanor, this performance was one of the best I’ve seen in some months. Check out Lizzy now, when you can still see her in an intimate and cozy venue because she is unlikely to be playing them for long.
radioexile.com

Last edited by *ana*; 15-12-2011 at 08:15 PM.

16-12-2011
V.I.P.

^So from this article I understand that her music style nowadays is the same as back then. So why does everybody accuses her of being a fake and a media invention? Is it only because of her changed physical appearance then?
And also, I don't see any comparison to Gaga or Florence for that matter..her music is a pop-ier version of Cat Power to me. I hope the company won't try to change her that much, all this Gaga talk makes me uncomfortable.

16-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinAndTonic View Post
Yeah, I don't like that music video. Too much for my taste. It doesn't do any justice to the romantic fragility vibe you get from the song. The white dress she wears is beautiful though!
couldn't agree more. it the whole video looks so "impersonal"..

17-12-2011
tfs star

All the people hating on Lana are pretty pathetic. Where is the hate stemming from? What has she done to deserve it? Making an unreleased album/post videos online/make a few new songs?

I understand everyone has different taste in music and style, but all the mean comments all over the internet/blogs this girl gets are so uncalled for. There are plenty of artists/musicians I don't like/listen to, but I don't go online and start criticizing and make judgements regarding one's appearance and how fake they are and how the mass is being fooled by a record company with another manufactured artist. If I don't like one's music, I don't bother wasting my time googling them and leaving an unnecessary comment.

Quite frankly, she hasn't done enough for some to dislike her as much as they do.

Anyways. I'm really looking forward to her album. There were some great tracks from her unreleased album, but I'm really loving the new direction she's taking with Born To Die, Blue Jeans, and Video Games.

Last edited by Ives927; 17-12-2011 at 01:57 AM.

17-12-2011
V.I.P.

I could not agree more...
manufactured or not manufactured she does not fail at one very important aspect - being original and interesting...
I am not being funny but how many singers/bands do we know that were not manufactured in one or another way? even the bands/singers who started at independant labels usually switch to the bigger labels...
commercial success is important these days because there is a very little room for survival... even M.I.A is excited about dueting with Madonna... honestly, I could imagine anything but that... or Coldplay and Rihanna...
so let's cut it short... ppl might only hate Lana because she is quite good because so far she has not given any reason to anyone to hate her so passionately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
All the people hating on Lana are pretty pathetic. Where is the hate stemming from? What has she done to deserve it? Making an unreleased album/post videos online/make a few new songs?

I understand everyone has different taste in music and style, but all the mean comments all over the internet/blogs this girl gets are so uncalled for. There are plenty of artists/musicians I don't like/listen to, but I don't go online and start criticizing and make judgements regarding one's appearance and how fake they are and how the mass is being fooled by a record company with another manufactured artist. If I don't like one's music, I don't bother wasting my time googling them and leaving an unnecessary comment.

Quite frankly, she hasn't done enough for some to dislike her as much as they do.

Anyways. I'm really looking forward to her album. There were some great tracks from her unreleased album, but I'm really loving the new direction she's taking with Born To Die, Blue Jeans, and Video Games.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, del, lana, november, rey, september