How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-03-2005
V.I.P.

i think so...

10-03-2005
Rebaptising my badness

I don't think so... at least doesn't sound like any kind of reggae I ever heard.

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova
I don't think so... at least doesn't sound like any kind of reggae I ever heard.
Even though a bit of dancehall seems to be in the mix... but I still think it's more arab.

wabisabi*

i thought it was all dancehall- that's what she says in most of her interview. out of curiousity though what's arab music characterized as? i'm totally unfamiliar

i'm going to see her and hollertronix next sunday
i think i'll lose 5 pounds in one night from so much dancing...

Last edited by xcoldricex; 10-03-2005 at 10:44 PM.
13-03-2005
Rebaptising my badness

I really don't know much about arab music, it was just a general impression. I didn't think it was dancehall because there wasn't much groove on the beats.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova
I really don't know much about arab music, it was just a general impression. I didn't think it was dancehall because there wasn't much groove on the beats.

i hear some reggae influences in her rapping voice...i think there are more indian influences in terms of the drum beats (sound like tablas to me)...

i personally think she's not that great....there are far better female hip-hop artists out there but they dont get enough attn (ie jean grae)...its funny how once one person gets hyped up, everyone jumps on the bandwagon...im not suggesting that about yall, but more about critics and some fans...her skills as a rapper are mediocre at best...

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
17-03-2005
wabisabi*

i wouldn't even categorize her as a true emcee. so you can't really compare her to the likes of jean grae (who is VERY underrated and slept on). also i think a lot of it has to do with her boyfriend, diplo, who can mix anything and make it sound hype. i can dance to m.i.a. i can't dance to jean grae- different music for different things.

24-03-2005
backstage pass

okay, y'all my MIA CD finally arrived and guess who she reminds me of...? JJ Fad. Any of you remember them? "We like the cars, the cars that go boom..." I really like this CD. I like the layers of sh*t she has in each song. She does have some old school riddims going on, too. Lots of bass like in the 80s hip hop. The kind that you feel in your chest at the clubs. I miss that. I also LOVE the conscious lyrics. She's featured in URB magazine and one other one...which was it? I forgot now...If I remember, i'll let you know.

24-03-2005
wabisabi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerise
okay, y'all my MIA CD finally arrived and guess who she reminds me of...? JJ Fad. Any of you remember them? "We like the cars, the cars that go boom..." I really like this CD. I like the layers of sh*t she has in each song. She does have some old school riddims going on, too. Lots of bass like in the 80s hip hop. The kind that you feel in your chest at the clubs. I miss that. I also LOVE the conscious lyrics. She's featured in URB magazine and one other one...which was it? I forgot now...If I remember, i'll let you know.
we're jj fad and we're here to rock.... rhymes like ours can never be stopped...

haha that was the ish. supersonic!

the cd was released finally? i gotta snatch that up. the show was hot by the way. i came home drenched in sweat. my legs hurt for the following two days. haha.

24-03-2005
backstage pass

man! i missed the show!! i would've loved to have been there!!! oh yeah supersonic was the ish fa sho! I heard it in the car the other day and almost had to pull over!!

25-03-2005
windowshopping

I downloaded it, god that's awful. All hyped up too. It's annoying music, her voice sucks, it's just terrible. Like I said all hype.

30-03-2005
front row

I think she's awesomely energetic. Not often that someone can blend so many genres and come out soudning....good. Las thing I can think of that blended so many styles was Head Automatica.

30-03-2005
V.I.P.

I finally got my M.I.A. CD today!
I've kind of exhaused right now, after having a rather wearing day, but as pathetic as it may sound, finally getting her music was the highlight of my very long day. I must have looked a mess, but I finally put that CD into my diskman and actually got to hear all of the songs, full-length, and replay them over and over, without family members complaining! Also, I've rewatched her music video for Sunshowers so many times (before the CD came out), that I practically have it memorized... Initially difficult to understand lyrics and all.
One thing that I must admit is scaring me a touch though- is that she's actually becoming rather well-known, and not just among a smaller crowd. My little brother recognized her name today, and *horror of horrors* I actually found a small blurb on her in one of the recent Teen Vogues. Yes, I occationally read that magazine, which is besides the point... I wonder whether I'm becoming a M.I.A. snob now? haha

01-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

ho!...i just got this cd...

woo!!.......love it!!!............................................. ...............

01-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpea
i hear some reggae influences in her rapping voice...i think there are more indian influences in terms of the drum beats (sound like tablas to me)...

i personally think she's not that great....there are far better female hip-hop artists out there but they dont get enough attn (ie jean grae)...its funny how once one person gets hyped up, everyone jumps on the bandwagon...im not suggesting that about yall, but more about critics and some fans...her skills as a rapper are mediocre at best...
Yea, I don't know what arab music has to do with Sri-Lanka, Indian influences sounds much more like it.

I think why she appeals to a lot of people is partly in the lyrics. It's neither gangster rap nor mindless clubby pop rap that's been predominant lately - her lyrics actually seem to have substance. I think it's pretty natural that her lyrics are deep - do you guys know what kind of f**ed up s**t has been going on in Sri-Lanka for decades?

Last edited by faust; 01-05-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mia