How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

New School of Rock vs. Old School of Rock
Basically means anything with a bit of pop mixed in (Killers, Franz Ferdinand) vs. your pretty basic rock (Zeppelin, the Stones).

Which do you prefer?

I think today, so many emerging bands (Jet, for example) have mixed in pop and have less of an edge.
Where has the Rock 'n Roll gone?
The intesity of 70's Zeppelin (to exclude Plant's solo work), 60's and 70's Stones, 90's Pearl Jam, Deftones, early 80's U2 (War era), and Alice in Chains is something that hasn't been felt so much in the New Millennium. To me, the only rock survivers of today include NIN...

Does anybody else miss pure rock?

04-10-2005
rising star

Old rock, hands down. No one can compare to the likes of Zeppelin and the Stones. Well atleast no one I've heard.

04-10-2005
Amour Comme Hiver

I must admit that, having been born in the early ninties, I haven't really heard alot of old school stuff. At my high school, only the band kids listen to old stuff, (They all tend to have a minor obsession with Led Zepplin).

Moreover, no one is really listening to the new stuff, either. Hip Hop dominates the radio, and while me and my close group of friends listen to Franz, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and Dresden Dolls, no one else in the school does- instead, I heard about thirty people sing the lyrics to the new Black Eyed Peas song today.

Listening to more mainstream stuff is really becoming appealing to me. I can relate to those that I know a little more, and the quality of alot of pop/hip hop is getting alot better (ie, Kanye West, Jay-Z, John Legend).

So maybe you're right Erin. Because maybe if the old style of rock and roll came back, then maybe people would be a bit more interested.

04-10-2005
fashion icon

Black Eyed Peas are NOT Hip-Hop! Neither is John Legend...he belongs in the R&B category. Sorry to nitpick but it's just a minor pet peeve of mine, no disrespect meant

That said, I much prefer older rock, more 'pure' rock like you said...not to mention a lot of the stuff coming out today originated from the pioneers. I still like the stuff of today if it bangs...all I want from my rock is just some dirty, hard sounding stuff. Zeppelin was great at this.

05-10-2005
poo
backstage pass

Old all the way. Youve mentioned all the great classics, but left out Guns N' roses who are ledgendry and to me the best rock outfit of the late 80's +90's and who i think are on par with the likes of zep, floyd, stones etc.

I do believe classic rock is being recusitated, and especially here in aus there are a lot of emering new bands whos music is none of this pop/rock **** but true classic rock n' roll! THANKGOD!

05-10-2005
Vision of Paradise

"old" stuff , for sure.... you are all right , there is no comparison. What is so amazing is that the music still stands after all these years and its spanning generations....which is a little funny. kids, listening to their parents music :p

my mother took me and a friend to see pink floyd in the 90's ...we were 13/14 yrs old....not too many kids at our school were listening to classic rock, but i now notice many kids around 12-13-14 wearing led zeppelin t's etc..... its cool.

i like maybe one or two 'new' bands, thats it. when it comes to rock, im listening to my mothers albums which is anything from the beatles, T rex, led zeppelin, pink floyd....the punk stuff like the damned, clash etc ( she really HATES my daftpunk,tunes ,,,hahaha)

music is so boring now

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Good additions... T Rex, GnR... even Nirvana could be thrown in...

05-10-2005
tea time

old school will always prevail

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
05-10-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolitaLuxe
"old" stuff , for sure.... you are all right , there is no comparison. What is so amazing is that the music still stands after all these years and its spanning generations....which is a little funny. kids, listening to their parents music :p

my mother took me and a friend to see pink floyd in the 90's ...we were 13/14 yrs old....not too many kids at our school were listening to classic rock, but i now notice many kids around 12-13-14 wearing led zeppelin t's etc..... its cool.

i like maybe one or two 'new' bands, thats it. when it comes to rock, im listening to my mothers albums which is anything from the beatles, T rex, led zeppelin, pink floyd....the punk stuff like the damned, clash etc ( she really HATES my daftpunk,tunes ,,,hahaha)

music is so boring now
I think in the end everyone likes their parents music. I grew up begging my mom to change the station from her rock music to my "pop" and now I can't stand anything I liked back then and I am constantly borrowing my parent's cds.

06-10-2005
poo
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolitaLuxe
the punk stuff like the damned, clash etc ( she really HATES my daftpunk,tunes ,,,hahaha)

music is so boring now
Im obsessed with true "punks" atm, it probably arose cause Im a history buff. The 'true punk' ideology is so fascinating, I think its the only genre of music that was born because people wanted music to be about political/social reform!

06-10-2005
fashion icon

a great 'punk' album (don't know if this classifies as punk) is Television - Marquee Moon ...The Strokes got nothin on this!!!!

06-10-2005
Vision of Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
a great 'punk' album (don't know if this classifies as punk) is Television - Marquee Moon ...The Strokes got nothin on this!!!!
cool album
erin-
hey mom, can you please turn off the nirvana!!!??

OK, after your comment, i just starting getting flashes of myself driving brats to school playing my old time rocknroll ....... (nirvana) horrible thought scary/funny

Last edited by LolitaLuxe; 06-10-2005 at 03:28 PM.
06-10-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

I'm an exile from the high street when it comes to buying music. I'm the dark and midnight creature that preys on independent record stores, and naturally...OLD STUFF...

Let's have some Marvin Gaye, Chuck, the Stones, The Band, The Eagles, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Neil Young, anything with a backbeat will do.

Last edited by PrinceOfCats; 06-10-2005 at 03:40 PM.
06-10-2005
V.I.P.

All this new rock is complete horsesh*t. Just READ the lyrics. They are stooopid. Rock has become the new Pop.

06-10-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
All this new rock is complete horsesh*t. Just READ the lyrics. They are stooopid. Rock has become the new Pop.
Agreed. Frankly, all of Coldplay's albums should be censored and each track replaced with Desolation Row.

And I'm not even a Young Fogey...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rock, school