How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2007
trendsetter

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds/The Birthday Party
Couldn't find a thread on him or Birthday Party so I thought I'd start one.

I prefer the Birthday Party over Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds but both are great.

Also, what brought this to mind was the fact that I was just watching this Burger King commercial and I think they just ripped off part of "Shivers" from Nick's first band, The Boys Next Door. I'll try to find vids of each to compare.

Here's Nick's feet to kick it all off. There's other musicians feet at www.votos.de

I have a ton of Nick Cave photos from Birthday Party era that just ooze a nasty, cool vibe, but unfortunately I don't have any credits for them I so wish I could share them with you guys, I'll try my best to find credits.

Release the bats!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artsguardiancoukOwsnitziAnickcavefeet.jpg (10.0 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by strawberry daiquiri; 01-11-2007 at 04:55 PM.

31-10-2007
trendsetter

Ok it was actually a Burger King commercial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=toFF3OvBR94

Listen for yourself, but the intro is the exact same to me.

31-10-2007
V.I.P.

I'm a huge fan of both The Birthday Party and the Bad Seeds. I was introduced by the former, and ended up preferring the latter by a hair because Nick Cave plays the piano so menacingly well...

earthbound

Blast off!
The Birthday Party > Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds for me!

01-11-2007
don't look down

Saw Nick Cave perform live in Belfast years ago - a small venue, we all sat there on our schoolroom-style chairs as he alternated between giving readings and sitting at the piano. Then he started playing the intro to 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' and you started wondering, how is he going to do it without Kylie Minogue... then unannounced, out she stepped onto the stage. Two stars for the price of one, that night. Fantastic.

trendsetter

^ Wow!!! What readings? His poetry or his books? I've always wanted to read King Ink, and The Angel and the ***, haven't gotten around to getting a copy of either.

Other than Morrissey, he is the other real rock icon I would love to see in person.

And its McDonald's I really don't know why I kept writing Burger King!! I did it twice, lol.

Jennifer~ I do love the Bad Seeds and the whole piano thing; one of my all time favorite songs is Your Funeral, My Trial. For me Bad Seeds is a more contemplative, less raw. I kind of like how they sort of compliment one another, the 2 bands. But the Birthday Party is just reckless and raucous!

Also, I love Nick Cave, but I really really can't stand Grinderman.

"Hands up, who wants to die?!", theres so many good lines from the Birthday Party.

01-11-2007
V.I.P.

Wait, am I being silly, but isn't the thread title 'Nick Drake'? All posts seem to be about Nick Cave...

01-11-2007
trendsetter

Did someone merge my thread???

because Nick Drake and Nick CAVE are NOT the same !!!!

They couldn't be more different, LOLZ.

Help undo undo!!

Last edited by lollicandy; 01-11-2007 at 03:42 PM.
01-11-2007
seagreen serenades

sorry sorry.
I was so sure there was an old Nick Cave one around that I trusted the search button too quickly. Back to normal now. :p

01-11-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicandy View Post
^ Wow!!! What readings? His poetry or his books? I've always wanted to read King Ink, and The Angel and the ***, haven't gotten around to getting a copy of either.

Other than Morrissey, he is the other real rock icon I would love to see in person.

And its McDonald's I really don't know why I kept writing Burger King!! I did it twice, lol.

Jennifer~ I do love the Bad Seeds and the whole piano thing; one of my all time favorite songs is Your Funeral, My Trial. For me Bad Seeds is a more contemplative, less raw. I kind of like how they sort of compliment one another, the 2 bands. But the Birthday Party is just reckless and raucous!

Also, I love Nick Cave, but I really really can't stand Grinderman.

"Hands up, who wants to die?!", theres so many good lines from the Birthday Party.
Yes! I absolutely love Your Funeral, My Trial. It's fairly underrated, safe to say, but once you've heard it you're hooked. "Here I am, little lamb..." But The Birthday Party CAN out-wreck anyone. :p

trendsetter

strawberry daiquiri, thank you!! I was totally blank at first, like 'I wrote in a Nick Drake thread, thats odd I have NO memory of that.' I don't even really like Nick Drake that much so I was scrolling through like, huh I wonder what I said, LOL.

I could've sworn there was something about Nick Cave here but I couldn't find anything in search or Google either.

Jennifer~ I also love the cover, with him as a seedy lounge singer. That song has some really amazing lyrics, "all the stars winked at me" and "a bauble moon did mock, and trinket stars did smile" and "here I am little lamb" have always stuck with me.

01-11-2007
fashion icon

nick cave was recently inducted into the aria hall of fame. he also inducted his band mates from the birthday party and the bad seeds into the hall of fame. classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge
Then he started playing the intro to 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' and you started wondering, how is he going to do it without Kylie Minogue... then unannounced, out she stepped onto the stage. Two stars for the price of one, that night. Fantastic.
ooh nice! i love that song... i got to hear it live but it was performed by other musicians; Tom Smith from Editors and Juanita Stein from Howling Bells. probably not as good as nick and kylie but still good! :p

she had boys in her room

I've been listening to The Boatman's Call non-stop recently. He's one of my all-time favourite lyricists, incredible

30-12-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondSea View Post
I've been listening to The Boatman's Call non-stop recently. He's one of my all-time favourite lyricists, incredible
Beautiful album

Dig, Lazurus, Dig!!! is one of my albums of the year

30-12-2008
windowshopping

I love both bands

Grinderman was good too

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bad, birthday, cave, nick, party, seeds or the