How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2011
trendsetter

I agree! And any length. I actually liked her hair best when she dyed it red for Jim Morrison.

03-12-2011
front row

Has anyone else seen the movie Restless released in cinemas recently? At the end they play 'Fairest of the Seasons'. Such a treat whenever I see/hear a Nico reference in pop culture.

03-12-2011
front row

Does anyone else also think that the heavy makeup and styling used in Nico's early modelling work was really unflattering on her? I think it's because her features were so strong that all the makeup made them look harsh and masculine.

03-12-2011
trendsetter

I'll have to see that movie now! I agree about the makeup. I think she looked better with less make up. Viva said Nico wouldn't leave the house without make up on because she didn't want people to see her without it.

La Liaison Fatale

groups.yahoo.com/group/nico_icon/

front row

That's so interesting to me about what Viva said, because I was sure I saw a number of publicity photos with the VU where Nico isn't wearing it. I've heard she was an insecure person deep down, but then I've also read many times that she didn't value her physical beauty and was fed up with the importance it played in her life. I also find it an interesting contrast that she is so often described as wooden and cold but then she could get very emotional and break down easily. She reminds me of Warhol in that sense; I think they both put up a barrier to the outside world because they were sensitive people at essence. Both are often described as nihilists but Nico sought to destroy her sensitivity whereas Andy seemed to have succeeded in distancing himself from it through his work. I suppose Nico could never accomplish that because her issues were more deeply rooted.

Last edited by PinkGoddess; 03-12-2011 at 08:37 AM.
03-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Amazing how many really stunning women have problems dealing with it...I wonder why?

03-12-2011
front row

I think they detach their appearances from what they see as their "real selves" due to a self-consciousness arising from the fact that they can never tell when someone is responding to their personality or just their looks. It must be doubly true for famous women because they have a whole image and fantasy attached to their beauty. It reminds me of the Rita Hayworth quote "People go to bed with Gilda and wake up with me".

03-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ I guess that is a big part of it...I suppose pronounced ugliness and extreme beauty both isolate one from the masses and carry their own problems... But then, after all- Nico was up there on the stage with The Velvets doing mostly nothing because everyone wanted to stare at her stunning beauty...

03-12-2011
trendsetter

That's why she rebelled against being beautiful later on. I think she had spent most of her life depending on her beauty and was fed up with it. Someone asked Warhol about Nico in the eighties and he said "Oh, she's fat now." Most of her famous friends stopped talking to her after the sixties.

V.I.P.

It's extremely difficult to be taken seriously when you're this beautiful. A lot of stunning women suffered from that.. And it's like boomer said, she was there on the stage with the Velvets so everybody could see how beautiful she was and not to hear how beautifully she could sing.

front row

It's kind of refreshing in a way, to know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Or that when it is, the disadvantages of having it equal the benefits. I do find it really sad that Nico told an interviewer her greatest regret was being born a woman. It seems like her self-identity was only based on eliminating who she was.

16-12-2011
trendsetter

Nico and Peter Murphy

La Liaison Fatale

windowshopping

I wonder if Tom Ford based these "Nico" style model glasses on Nico ...

source: online auction for the sunglasses; Nico image originally found in the last Nico thread

I like what you say, PinkG.

Last edited by tarnished youth; 11-01-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add source
11-01-2012
trendsetter

I always assume when things are called Nico they must be inspired by her. Even if they don't look like something Nico would wear.

trendsetter

Nico Yahoo Group/ fy-wgg-rock.tumblr

La Liaison Fatale

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, nico or christa, päffgen