How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-11-2007
front row

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agl4IvNnQPo

i dont' know what to say about this, except that it's amazing. watch!

Last edited by maiden voyage; 20-11-2007 at 01:26 AM.

21-11-2007
Of a bastard line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I'd only seen the Ann side of that first pic you posted...never realized that Patti Smith was in it too. Anyway, here is the other half. I hope it's ok to post it in here...I just think they belong together.

Quote:
A SALUTE TO ANN DEMEULEMEESTER

Ten Years of friendship
Twenty Years of beautiful work
Twenty Years dreaming of cloth

Paris. October 3, 2006

pattismith.net

pattismith.net

They do belong together!

23-05-2008
The future is stupid

Patti Smith: Dream of Life
  • Year: 2008
  • Running time: 109 Minutes
  • Genres: Documentary, Music
  • Language: English
A long-term observational documentary about rock icon, poet, activist, mother, and legend Patti Smith. Shot over the course of 11 years by photographer Steven Sebring, the film melodically weaves Smith’s own stream of consciousness narrative about her life with the material filmed by Sebring.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9pTYrFoXp6s

26-05-2008
front row

Did someone see her exhibition at La Fondation Cartier (Paris) ?
I'm wondering if it is a good exhibition

21-06-2008
earthbound

Her voice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MZK5Jzf91Q

07-07-2008
Margiela's Muse

I'm profiling her as an unlikely fashion inspiration for a publication.

Does anyone have access to or can direct me to those "Dancing Barefoot" images the NY Times ran as an editorial in 2002? They have been removed from the site.

I'd like to explore her influence beyond Ann D., although that relationship is the quintessence of her connection to fashion.

07-07-2008
earthbound

You could talk about her influence on another generation of female rockers... ie. PJ Harvey and VV from the Kills.

07-07-2008
Margiela's Muse

Yeah, I am planning to do that as well.

12-07-2008
The future is stupid

Source | The New York Times

Quote:
July 13, 2008
Questions for Patti Smith
She Is a Punk Rocker
Interview by Deborah Solomon

At the age of 61, you are about to be newly lionized in the forthcoming “Patti Smith: Dream of Life,” a documentary by Steven Sebring that took a decade to complete. The film has some wonderful footage of you and your family, but why are there no interviews with critics or fellow performers or scholars who could provide a context for your work? I really don’t like that in films, unless someone is dead. I am a living artist. I personally am not interested in people trying to pigeonhole me.

What do you make of being called the “godmother of punk.” It’s an honorable label; it’s just not the only label that I want. I don’t mind if people say that but I do object when people don’t really understand the full realm of the areas that I work in.

You were writing poems and drawing long before you recorded your debut album, “Horses.” But don’t you consider your music your most original achievement? I am not really certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur. I know I’m a strong performer. I’m not an evolved musician. I’m an intuitive musician. I have no real technical skills. I can only play six chords on the guitar.

You seem to cultivate a kind of wild-child mystique, even in your appearance. For instance, why don’t you use hair conditioner? I do use conditioner!

I’m surprised. You’re the queen of split ends.
That’s very funny because I’ve just cut about eight inches off my hair because it was just too ratty-looking.

Seriously, are you trying to cultivate any sort of image, androgynous or otherwise? I’m disinterested. I’ve always looked the same. Since I was a child, I hated having to deal with my hair. I hated having to change my clothes. As a kid, I had a sailor shirt and the same old corduroy pants, and that’s what I wanted to wear everyday.

One of the more striking aspects of your biography is your long retirement from the music business after marrying the guitarist Fred (Sonic) Smith. You were a stay-at-home mom? We were a stay-at-home mom-and-dad. We both quit. We lived a very simple life outside of Detroit based on family and study. My husband was a great musician, and taught me a lot about singing, how to sing from deeper within instead of so nasally.

He died suddenly in 1994, when he was only 45, and you raised your kids by yourself. My daughter lives with me in New York. Both she and my son are very gifted musicians and their level of musicianship came from their father. Our closeness magnifies him. We magnify him when we play together.

You seem very sane for a punk rocker. I had a very good model. My mother had no end of tragedy in her life. She would make herself get up and take a deep breath and go out and do laundry. Hang up sheets. She told me that when she looked at the laundry, the sheets flowing in the wind, and the sun, it was like a fresh start.

What music are you listening to? I still listen to John Coltrane. I still listen to Jimi Hendrix. I listen to R.E.M. and Radiohead and Silver Mt. Zion, but what I listen to the most is Glenn Gould and opera.

What are you working on these days? I am writing this memoir about Robert, a diary of our love and friendship. It’s called “Just Kids.”

You’re referring to the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, another of your muses who died young. Do you ever feel lonely? Sometimes the pain still — the loss of my brother, the loss of Robert, the loss of my husband, even the loss of my children being children — we can access a lot of things that cause pain. This might seem really funny, but when I feel like that, I make myself smile.

How do you do that?
I just sit and physically make myself smile. Because sometimes it makes you laugh, and then you just go, “All right.”

20-07-2008
earthbound

^ "I do use conditioner!"

Excerpt from Tim Blanks' review of Ann Demeulemeester ss 09 menswear collection.

Quote:
June 28, 2008
Coincidence is a fine, flummoxing thing. Patti Smith loves Hermann Hesse, and on a pilgrimage to the Swiss museum that celebrates his life and art, she saw his carefully preserved clothes. Meanwhile, Ann Demeulemeester, the designer for whom Smith has been a longtime inspiratrice, was thinking about Hesse's The Glass Bead Game as she sat down to design her new collection. Patti happens to be in Paris, shows up to take pictures in Ann’s front row with her vintage Polaroid Land Camera, only to learn the show’s all about Hermann. Phew!
men.style.com

20-07-2008
tfs star

I like her.Her music isn't really my favorite but I think she's just a very cool person.

20-07-2008
Margiela's Muse

I love Patti's peripheral relationship with the fashion world. It's quite unexpected, but most great pairings are.

05-08-2008
backstage pass

only just started really digging into her music,
i'm blown away by her lyrics, so brutal and haunting.
shes amazing, what an inspiration.

Last edited by AMACINOM; 05-08-2008 at 02:17 AM.
08-08-2008
earthbound

She was on MSNBC, Morning Joe.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/26071771

Click on Entertainment > Music > Patti Smith on new documentary.

08-08-2008
V.I.P.

Love that quote of hers, dont remember the whole thing, but she says, "I can put my fist up..." And then she does the Black Power fist. It was on Bad Girls of Rock some vh1 thing a couple years ago that I taped for CL, who, when given the chance to meet Patti in 1995 in New York on Lollapalooza (they both played, CL the whole tour, Patti just one of the two nights in NY) turned it down because she was too intimidated.

P.S. would love to see video of her at Ann Demeulemeester!!

Last edited by LetThemEatCake; 08-08-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
patti, smith