How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
As much as I like his music, I have to admit, even though some of his songs are spectacular, some of them are just plain forgettable....

songs like "la decadanse", "je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais" are just plain cheesy and annoying....

I agree that he wrote some songs easily forgettable ( in his gainsbarre period) but la decadanse et je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais are really great in my opinion

11-05-2006
Stitch:the Hand

Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited
Quote:
This album brings together artists from the international scene to interpret English adaptations of various songs by Serge Gainsbourg. Features 15 total tracks from the likes of Franz Ferdinand with Jane Birkin, Portishead, Cat Power and Karen Elson, Michael Stipe, Jarvis Cocker & Kid Loco, The Kills, Cat Power with Karen Elson, Tricky, Marc Almond with Trash Palace and more. Universal. 2006.
Also Marianne Faithfull I read on another site.

*amazon.com

Last edited by Scott; 11-05-2006 at 09:47 AM.
11-05-2006

Seems a quality album with a nice roster of artists.

11-05-2006

Quote:
Fifteen years after his death, Serge Gainsbourg lives again - at least on your music system. A new release out on May 1, Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited, brings together original muses and younger fans to rework his best songs - the first time that Gainsbourg's lyrics have been officially translated into English. We have five copies each of the vinyl album and the CD to give away. Gainsbourg is revered in France as the nation's greatest popular musician, but in Britain he is perhaps best remembered for the 1969 seduction classic, Je t'aime moi non plus.
The 7" gatefold limited edition vinyl album features Franz Ferdinand and Jane Birkin performing A Song For Sorry Angel (Original title: Sorry Angel), Cat Power and Karen Elson performing I Love You (Me Either) (Original title: Je t'aime moi non plus) and Jarvis Cocker and Kid Loco performing I Just Came To Tell You That I'm Going (Original title: Je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais), plus an exclusive vinyl-only bonus of Nina Persson and Nathan Larson performing Angel's Fall (Original title: Sorry Angel).
The CD features the first three songs above, alongside Portishead's first recording in years (a reworking of Un jour comme un autre - Anna) as well as tracks by Michael Stipe, Tricky, Placebo, the Kills, Marianne Faithfull and Carla Bruni.
*guardian.co.uk

11-05-2006
front row

Oh, I saw that in the record store a couple of days ago, didn't buy it, tho. It definitely has some really great artists and it seems like an interesting idea to (officially) translate his work in English.

I might go back there and get it when I have money Thanks for the thread, Scott

V.I.P.

Oooh.... I must check this out.....
Thanks Scott!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
11-05-2006
earthbound

It read pretty bad reviews of this compilation, but I'm enjoying the Portishead song a lot, Requiem for Anna.

11-05-2006
slightly dizzy

For some reason I have a lot of his music on my iPod... It's really cool and slightly annoying cocktail music sort of, isn't it?

12-05-2006

^eh,that would be quite an understatment,to be honest.

I have to say,I listened to a couple of the tracks and for this to be Portishead's first recording in ages,I wasn't impressed. Sounded rather stagnant. As if they haven't really evolved much in their sound. Which is a surprise considering Beth Gibbons' solo effort which I thought was amazing.

I love Requiem for a Jerk that Brian Molko did with Francoise Hardy(). Great song but unfortunately you don't get to hear too much of the wonderous Hardy except faint background vocals and a whispering verse at the end.

I want to listen to the Franz Ferdinand duet with Jane Birkin next.

12-05-2006
trendsetter

I have read bad reviews of this album too. I've only listened to the Franz Ferdinand, Jarvis Cocker & Kid Loco and The Kills songs. They are Ok, but nothing impressive. People I know who likes Gainsborough doesn't like this album.

08-09-2006
V.I.P.

bump!
^i found the revisited album to be rather awful. i'm sorry. I kept Michael Stipe's version of L'hotel cause it was slightly decent, but i deleted the rest from my computer a few weeks ago..I just couldnt stand listening to it, it didnt seem to do much for me. probably due to the fact that i have little sympathy for most of these artists. and i just felt like they were replacing my images of serge's songs with their terrible versions. nightmare.

anyway..I found this today.

lolita, i love your pic so much. i was watching some of that artwork on youtube [ ] the other day..and your image encouraged me to capture some graffiti from the streets of paris.

[captured by me from youtube.com]

V.I.P.

[captured by me from youtube.com]

backstage pass

Lovely pictures Mulletproof.

Thankyou for sharing.

In regards to the video link (Whitney and Serge)- I actually wrote an paper for University about how Serge Gainsbourng was regarded by the French media and that 'incident' was the main topic. :p
Thing was my lecturer had no idea who Serge Gainsbourg was?

When i recieved my result the lecturer said he would have preferred if I wrote about Madonna

The poetry of Gainsbourg works can not be "recreated" with translations or covers. Likewise with the works of Jacques Brel. These songs are a part of an era and cannot be imitated nor placed out of their context as they are steeped in minimal brilliance and magical lyricism. Personally my French is very basic but music is not bound by language - it is emotional, creative and to be a shared experience. As I have slowly developed my French over the years, I began to understand the signicance of these songs which I had heard growing up. And I am still learning - which each listen, comes a new discovery. I could never tire of the original works. The remakes and translations could never replace the spirit of these works.

09-09-2006
V.I.P.

^walrus, you always have the right words. . i feel like i can relate to what you're saying on every level, it's so true...serge's magic relied heavily on his very peculiar interpretation his own lyrics.

backstage pass

Thank you Mullet Proof for reading and the nice words.
You always manage to sum up what I think in a few words so eloquently.
Please pardon the poor grammar and spelling of my previous post.

Cheers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gainsbourg, serge