How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2006
V.I.P.

Serge Gainsbourg
How can we NOT have thread on him......?!

What wonderful artist..... Serge and Jane, match made in heaven..... beautiful music, rythm, melody.... perfection....!

My all time faves:
-Je t'aime moi non plus (of course!!!!)
-Dieu est un fumeur de havane
-Comme un boomerang

His voice is the warmest ever... a personal favorite, probably my ALL time favorite singer/writer/composer..... How talented is Serge?

I heard on the radio today some new artists (like franz ferdinand) are remixing his greatest hits and the CD is supposed to hit stores soon (or is it already out?)...... I can't say I like from what I've heard so far....!

13-03-2006
V.I.P.

Serge Gainsbourg
Source: gettyimages.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (23.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (35.6 KB, 12 views)

15-03-2006
trendsetter

I love him . I've just found an old interview of him where he talked about some personal memories and his favourite objects. My favourite songs : 'Je Suis Venu te Dire Que Je M'en Vais' , 'Cargo Culte' , 'Manon' , 'Aime Pour Haine'. I must say that his last girlfriend Bambou is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen (well a lot of people would disagree , but it's just something that I can't explain) . I think he was one of the chicest man I've seen (on pictures haha.I like his tyle , very classy and yet with a touch of nonchalance). He used to live in the neighbourhood where I used to live in Paris but I've never met him sadly but I've seen Jane Birkin sing live.

V.I.P.

Totally see what you mean... He's not typically gorgeous but there's something very charming about him. I love his minimalist way of writing songs. I find his songs brilliant even if the lyrics are rather simple.

15-03-2006
trendsetter

There's something very poetic in his lyrics , though I find it a bit hard for the non-French speakers to fully get his puns (or at least it's what I expect sometimes), it's very subtle and once translated it sounds dumb. I really like his tunes , it's very romantic and sometimes melancholic and yet very rock'n'roll at the same time..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanker_phledge
though I find it a bit hard for the non-French speakers to fully get his puns (or at least it's what I expect sometimes), it's very subtle and once translated it sounds dumb.
Very very true... Since I speak French I can't tell how hard it would be for non french to get.. ...but I see what you mean..

16-03-2006
earthbound

What he did to France Gall was so nasty, but still I admire him as an artist.

16-03-2006
earthbound

For those who've missed this unforgettable moment, here's a link to the video where Serge is trying to seduce Whitney Houston, under the influence of alcohol. Click here!

16-03-2006
trendsetter

Oh God , that one was one of his very famous appearances on tv where he would turn up drunk and would make awful declarations (that period was when people called him 'Gainsbarre' his vicious drunk gross alter ego), there are other ones, like the one where he burnt a money bill , another one where he said to Catherine Ringer (a French singer) that she was a whore.Bambou (his last girlfriend) said that when he was sober she used to show him the tapes of those shows , and he would feel so ashamed of himself.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La bordélique
What he did to France Gall was so nasty, but still I admire him as an artist.
what happened?

18-03-2006
trendsetter

I think she's referring to the fact that he made her sing 'Les Sucettes' which was filled with double entendres about oral sex , and she didn't even know that (she was 16 when she sang it) , she realized that when she got older.It's like he had taken advantage of her innocence.

earthbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanker_phledge
I think she's referring to the fact that he made her sing 'Les Sucettes' which was filled with double entendres about oral sex , and she didn't even know that (she was 16 when she sang it) , she realized that when she got older.It's like he had taken advantage of her innocence.
Yes... the poor girl.

27-03-2006
V.I.P.

!

V.I.P.

As much as I like his music, I have to admit, even though some of his songs are spectacular, some of them are just plain forgettable....

songs like "la decadanse", "je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais" are just plain cheesy and annoying....

27-03-2006
Vision of Paradise

here is his old home.....I am actally on the doorstep, but i cropped myself out of the photo ( the door is not that narrow) visitors may be able to see 'lolitaluxe' scrawled here and there. I have better photos, but unfortunatley they are personal (I am in them all).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.JPG (109.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by LolitaLuxe; 27-03-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gainsbourg, serge