How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2006
fashion insider

Television
Any Television fans here?

I've loved the album marquee moon ever since i downloaded it, but it wasn't until a year ago that i bought the acutal album that i really fell in love with it. I guess it has to do with the sound quality that cds give you.
The guitar playing on there is so unique, just amazing. And the singing and lyrics as well.
Also, i think i'm in love with tom verlaine. haha.
Did anybody know, that tom played guitars on a few patti smith songs? i think elgie was one of them... not sure. I thought that was pretty cool. Two artists i love making music together.

20-05-2006
backstage pass

I like marquee moon although don't listen to it much, haven't heard the second album. They were very brave for a punk band with their lengthy songs/guitar solos

07-02-2007
front row

Major bumping, because I only got into Television last year and I have been listening to Marquee Moon obsessively lately. I love the interaction between the two guitars and the abstract (at least to me) lyrics. My favourite song of theirs at the moment is Venus - I love the lyrics (I fell right into the arms of Venus de Milo).

07-02-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
y favourite song of theirs at the moment is Venus - I love the lyrics (I fell right into the arms of Venus de Milo)
^ Me too!! I had a phase during which i listened to Venus at least three times a day. Just had to get my daily fix...

Have you listened to their second album, Twill Bill? If not, I definitely recommend it. A lot of people expect it to be Marquee Moon #2, but because it's not, people get disappointed. But I think it's a good thing TV changed it up a bit. There are some really beautiful songs. Definitely listen to the Dream's Dream.

07-02-2007
seagreen serenades

yes

where's tangerine?

07-02-2007
front row

rollagasper, I've only listened to a few songs from it (Foxhole, Glory...), but haven't listened in full yet. I definitely will now though!

08-02-2007
windowshopping

Definitely appreciated.

01-03-2007
front row

flickr.com

01-03-2007
fashion insider

Thanks for those, Twill Bill! Television is such a pretty boy band.

I am bored so i will post some:

Godlis

Last edited by rollagasper; 01-03-2007 at 10:09 AM.
01-03-2007
fashion insider

the band

my collection... no idea of the origin
John Cale, Patti Smith, Tom Verlaine, and some other guy...

corbis

01-03-2007
V.I.P.

Discovering them, and definitely appreciating.

01-03-2007
V.I.P.

SUCH a gorgeous thread. I am more a Patti lover than anything but Marquee Moon is one of my most listened to albums. Can you imagine Tom Verlaine and Patti Smith making love? The whole of the 70s must have fused into the constellations in that moment.

You know for the years that I owned White Light/White Heat, I couldn't figure where the **** the guy on the Gift was from. I thought he was bleeding Indian till I realised it was the very Welsh John Cale. It is such an odd track. Cale is another one of the major people who got that stuff over to us.

01-03-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Can you imagine Tom Verlaine and Patti Smith making love? The whole of the 70s must have fused into the constellations in that moment.
Tom and Patti are seriously my two all-time artistic inspirations and for a while I didn't even know they used to be lovers. Actually, I think I sent my friend a link to something Verlaine-related, bragging to her about how fantastic he is, and she replied back with "Oh cool, he used to date that Patti Smith woman you like." I was all . ha ha.

Anyhow, I think they really inspired each other in their arts. Break It Up is one of my favourite songs. Tom's guitar and Patti's singing meshes so well and are both so passionate. Also, if you listen to TV's "ain't that nothing", the lyrics seem to be referring to Patti.

anton perich

postmodern.com
^ this is from the book of poetry they published together. I would quite like to read it.

aww...
permuted.org

OK, i feel like a stalker now so i will STOP posting pictures. haha.

Last edited by rollagasper; 01-03-2007 at 06:25 PM.
01-03-2007
fashion insider

ok, couldn't resist - I've never seen this one before:

Haha, Lloyd looks so funny.

Last edited by rollagasper; 01-03-2007 at 06:48 PM.
01-04-2007
tfs star

Like all great bands they were in a league of their own. I feel they aren't given enough credit, if that's the right word. It's hard finding their work nearby but it's easier to find Verlaine's solo stuff, 5 miles of you makes me sigh.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
television