How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2006
Fashionably Late

12 yr old Dakota Fanning in controversial new film role
How is this right? I know the intent is not to sexually exploit her, but it still seems wrong.

Dakota Fanning Ventures Into Dark Territory, Scares Away the Money

Kid phenom Dakota Fanning is going the way of Brooke Shields and Jodie Foster – and then some – as she tackles a dicey, but potentially award-worthy role in which she endures a sexual assault and appears naked in several scenes.

The 12-year-old thespian is starring in "Hounddog," a dark story, as Lloyd Grove puts it, of "abuse, violence and Elvis Presley adulation in the rural South," in which her character gets raped in an explicit scene and appears nude or wearing only undergarments in others. Fanning's mom and agent apparently see the film as Oscar material for Dakota, but potential investors apparently shied away from its creepy material. Production shut down briefly, but filming will wrap tomorrow in North Carolina.

"It's not just the rape scene," says Fanning agent Cindy Osbrink. "The whole story is challenging Dakota as an actress...I've seen the dailies, and in every scene she gets better and better."

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/20/lets-g...sday-07-20-06/

21-07-2006
VSFS 2009!

I like her, I believe she can pull it off.

21-07-2006
Fashionably Late

^ I definitely think she will pull it off. She is a great little actress!

I guess I am just thrown off-guard that she will be nude in the film. She is so young. I thought there were laws against this.

21-07-2006
front row

Wow. I agree that sounds creepy....especially because everyone knows that Dakota is going to make this part sooooo believable. It may be a movie worth seeing...but for some reason I feel like this is somewhat exploiting to little Dakota..I mean she seems so fragile..or something

21-07-2006
barcode

Actually, I'm far more disturbed by the idea of a realistic rape scene involving her then the idea of her being nude (underage nudity has been done already)

21-07-2006
fashion icon

This is disgusting.. A rape scene is hard enough for an adult actress who knows what she´s getting involved in.

21-07-2006
barcode

^ I think you give her far too little credit.

21-07-2006
backstage pass

wow. I think it would be extremely difficult to watch a little girl get raped on screen. I get upset just thinking about it. she is definitely courageous for taking something like that on. Hopefully the material is good enough to justify a scene like that. I would hate for it to be for shock value.

21-07-2006
backstage pass

I wouldn't see this movie in public. I'd be wondering which of the sickos in the audience are getting off on the rape scene

21-07-2006
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

now thats way too scary....psychos in the audience 'enjoying'!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogrl5
Fanning's mom and agent apparently see the film as Oscar material for Dakota, but potential investors apparently shied away from its creepy material.

Lovely to know her mom and agent are controlling all of Dakota's business decisions. This is seriously disturbing and I don't want to pay $10 to go and see a 12 year old girl get raped.

21-07-2006
V.I.P.

I'm very curious at how this will turn out to look like!. Dakota is an amazing actress.

V.I.P.

I thought it was gonna say "12 year old Dakota Fanning in Rehab"

This movie already has oscar written all over it...a 12 year old being raped? Yea, she already got the oscar...

21-07-2006
Seductress in Eden

I would never let my 12 year old daughter do this being nude on camera at such a young age... think of all the pedofiles that would want her... maybe its just me but i really dont want her to do it

21-07-2006
V.I.P.

It sounds like a very scary role but she already is very critically acclaimed as an actress-I see a lot of people being shocked by it-I am-but if she pulls it off, which she probably will, it's Oscar-worthy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
12, controversial, dakota, fanning, film, role, yr