How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
Actually the media does like to make things sound worse because it gets them more attention, and if it's on television better ratings.
but the media, despite its general morbid reputation, can also be instructed to 'select' bad news. I've noticed that American media for instance tends to leave inevitable and controllable nature news up to the viewers' 'interpretation' and you should question the truth behind it, like maybe it could happen to you, but maybe it won't.. whereas some psycho that allegedly breaks into your house to smell strangers' underwear is given all the attention and they almost suggest you, yes you, will be the next victim.. you lock the door before you question his whereabouts.
I think it's interesting how the emphasis on certain news changes from country to country. makes you wonder why that is... why triviality suddenly becomes everyone's incentive to engage more into their own lives.

Fabulyss.. some 700 years later, in 'chic' France, some beheadings of living breathing human beings were all the rage. Society gets over bestiality quite fast, and every culture has had its share on that at some point, right?.

16-01-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
What's with all of the reverence for the Mayans? They accomplished fantastic feats and were incredibly ahead of their time...but, you know, they also ripped open the chests of living breathing human beings (and children) and thrust their hearts up as an offering to the 'heavens'....I'm just saying Perhaps they should not be revered as prophets.
Whenever I read all these "prophecies" I can't help but If they were so fantastic at predicting everything you'd think between the Mayans and Nostradamus someone would just write out a plainly written note reminding us, hey the world's gonna end!

I really don't trust anything the popular media pushes. And definitely not anything coming from FoxNews or MSN.

Last edited by lollicandy; 16-01-2009 at 07:41 AM.

16-01-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicandy View Post
Whenever I read all these "prophecies" I can't help but If they were so fantastic at predicting everything you'd think between the Mayans and Nostradamus someone would just write out a plainly written note reminding us, hey the world's gonna end!

I really don't trust anything the popular media pushes. And definitely not anything coming from FoxNews or MSN.
It was being said before Nostradamus was predicting the end of world in the year 2000 and since that didn't happen now apparently he predicted it for 2012. I remember watching something in 1992 or 93 where they were talking about different people predicting the end in 2000 and talking about how it would happen. I'm never paying attention that type of nonsense ever again.

Last edited by ChloeFrancoise; 16-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.

16-01-2009
V.I.P.

^Actually I didn't hear or read about those Nostradamus predictions, I only heard his predictions about the 3 antichrists.

I'm more focused about the Mayan calendar which they say is extremely accurate & they predict in the last day of their calendar, the space phenomenon that would end with the world, Mayans explained how it's in their calendar & cientists associate it to the rare Pole Shift phenomenon that only happens once in 25.700 years, actually my Physics teacher told me that some days ago but that would happen in the next 26.000 years

Last edited by Filipe; 16-01-2009 at 03:53 PM.

16-01-2009
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
I'm more focused about the Mayan calendar which they say is extremely accurate & they predict in the last day of their calendar, the space phenomenon that would end with the world
This is incorrect. The Mayans never claimed the world would end on the last day of their calendar. Here's an excerpt from a great Universe Today article that explains this in greater detail. The full article is here.

Quote:
When something ends (even something as innocent as an ancient calendar), people seem to think up the most extreme possibilities for the end of civilization as we know it. A brief scan of the internet will pull up the most popular to some very weird ways that we will, with little logical thought, be wiped off the face of the planet. Archaeologists and mythologists on the other hand believe that the Mayans predicted an age of enlightenment when 13.0.0.0.0 comes around; there isn't actually much evidence to suggest doomsday will strike. If anything, the Mayans predict a religious miracle, not anything sinister.

16-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
This is incorrect. The Mayans never claimed the world would end on the last day of their calendar. Here's an excerpt from a great Universe Today article that explains this in greater detail. The full article is here.

Yes they never claimed that, you are right, that's what I thought by the videos I have watched & the fact their calendar will end on that day. so the phenomenon they said will happen will bring something good for the planet and not bad?

Thanks for the article, this is interesting!

17-01-2009
In Bloom

I think it's absolutely hilarious that people still believe in prophecies and the end of the world. The 21st century apparently hasn't kicked in yet Really...there are solar storms all the time. So what if we're out of power for 20 mins?

we were in love

17-01-2009
V.I.P.

^what? there are solar storms all the time?

17-01-2009
the crying of humanity

^ Yes, they're actually quite frequent! There was actually a period of over 140 solar storms back in October-November 2003 that were predicted to be more dangerous than the 1989 storm; there was even talk of the storm harming satellites and causing power outages. In the end, the solar storms ended up being less intense than originally thought, and only minor incidents occurred. This just shows that you can never fully predict solar storms. Here's an excerpt from a Space.com article that talks about it:

Quote:
A major solar flare unleashed Tuesday began to punish Earth's protective magnetic field early Wednesday. The storm, perhaps the third most powerful on record, could have more effect than one in 1989 that knocked out power to an entire Canadian province.

The storm is also potentially a serious threat to satellites and other communication systems, including power grids on Earth. Kunches said satellite operators and power grid managers are likely to take stringent measures to protect their assets.

Last edited by seanutbutter; 17-01-2009 at 11:48 AM.

17-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
^ Yes, they're actually quite frequent! There was actually a period of over 140 solar storms back in October-November 2003 that were predicted to be more dangerous than the 1989 storm; there was even talk of the storm harming satellites and causing power outages. In the end, the solar storms ended up being less intense than originally thought, and only minor incidents occurred. This just shows that you can never fully predict solar storms. Here's an excerpt from a Space.com article that talks about it:
Thanks for the article...yes it's impossible to predict space storms but they happen in cicles so they can know moreless when they will happen, but I don't know, maybe judging by how the world is right now & will be even worst when that time comes, they predict the storm will be more intentive than the previous ones. but yes there's no way they can predict it's intensity & when exaclty will happen. scientists might have some reasons why they say this next storm will be catastrophic.

17-01-2009
In Bloom

^You can always find some scientists who say this or that is catastrophic, and you can find some scientists who don't. Even science doesn't give absolute answers.

we were in love

17-01-2009
don't look down

We've been studying the activity of the sun for such a short time, in comparison to its overall lifespan, that everything a helioseismologist or somesuch expert says, is reasoned conjecture at best, and based on a limited history of results. We can say there are '11 year cycles' but we have no way of scientifically confirming behaviour that takes a lot longer to manifest.

In 2006/7, there were stories about the sun potentially entering a 'cooling period' with greatly reduced solar activity, which would bring about reduced temperatures on Earth. But the experts could not agree, because they just don't have the data to work with.

21-01-2009
V.I.P.

oh why did I read that article?
I allways worry these kind of stuff.
I do not wanna be alive when something like that happens, I do not wanna be alive when world end and I do not wanna be alive when there is coming new ice age.
Last year I had a month when I could not sleep because I was thinking that world gonna end in 2012. Then I told about that to my mom and she laughed and said ´´how do you not know it does not happen next year? There is no need to worry those kind of stuff, it happens if it happens and it happens when it happens´´
After that I have tried to avoid reading anything related to that.
*hahha*
oh god, now I cannot sleep tonight

21-01-2009
fashion icon

The whole December 2012 thing has nothing to do with "the end of the world" or anything of that nature. But, what COULD happen on the Winter Solstice of 2012 (or a couple of days afterwards) is a Polar Shift. What would trigger the Polar Shift is the galactic alignment that will take place on that date. Our solar system will be aligned with the so-called "Galactic Plane" in the center of our galaxy (which is something that only happens once every 26,000 years). The Polar Shift could end up causing natural disasters (earthquakes, tsunamis, etc) on a global scale here on earth.

[youtube]1aPNcUJuiLY[/youtube]

21-01-2009
V.I.P.

^I just read in the other day that that Pole Shift is impossible to predict, there's no way.

if that Pole Shift happens would cause all the catastrophes they say that would, that wouldn't be the end of the world but would be the end of humanity!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ending, world