How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-01-2009
don't look down

If our entire solar system will be in alignment with the Galactic Centre in 2012, then we should already be seeing a polar shift. If it happens "once every 26,000 years", then being three years away from it means we're effectively there already.

Earth comes into some sort of alignment with the Galactic Centre every year around 19-21 December, and nothing happens to prevent people shopping for Christmas presents and generally going about their life.

The Galactic Centre is an interesting concept astrologically, and Philip Sedgwick does regular updates on his site about such things, combining astronomy, astrology, science and myth:

http://www.philipsedgwick.com/

In general, stories about 'the end of the world' are another way for humans to indulge their self-destructive streak - there is something strangely thrilling in thinking that everything's going to fall apart, and looking for the abstract evidence to support it.

21-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Some 2012 theories suggest that the Earth's geomagnetic reversal is connected to the natural 11-year solar cycle. Again, there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support this claim. No data has ever been produced suggesting a Sun-Earth magnetic polarity change connection.
So, already this doomsday theory falters in that geomagnetic reversal does not occur with "clockwork regularity," and it has no connection with solar dynamics. We are not due a magnetic flip as we cannot predict when the next one is going to occur, magnetic reversals occur at seemingly random points in history.
source

23-01-2009
backstage pass

We all know that the Chinese calendar is a cycle of 12 animals. But there is also a 60 year cycle combining the animals with one of five elements (earth, wood, fire, water and metal) plus yin or yang. This means that every sixty years, there's a combination of the same animal, element and yin or yang. Someone's 60th birthday is a big deal in Chinese culture. It means that you've completed one whole cycle.

24-01-2009
Confused & Bewildered

The Ida, when a significant solar event strikes, it won't be 20 minutes. It could be 20 months.

Satellites could be destroyed beyond repair and it would take months to rebuild and relaunch them That means no long distance phone calls, no television, no internet, etc.

Electrical substations that are damaged required special transformers and other componants that are not stored as spares. There are only a few companies in the world that make them and delivery time can be several weeks or months for a single unit. In a severe solar storm, if dozens of units are damaged, it could be several months for them all to be replaced.

As noted above, these storms are relatively common, but are generally small enough to do little damage. However activity is increasing and a major storm has been expected for quite a while.

The Katrina comparison is silly. Katrina didn't cause a tenth the damage a major solar event could cause. Aside from the major systems above, home and business computers, vehicle onboard computers, basically anything with electronics could be destroyed by a major electro-magnetic pulse (EMP).

The actual measureable damage could be in the hundreds of billions of dollars.

The loss of business due to communications and transportation disruptions would be incalculable.

End of the world? No, but it could send us back to the late 1900's for quite a while.

Last edited by Echoes; 24-01-2009 at 05:26 AM.

27-01-2009
front row

You guys now Im not gonna sleep

28-01-2009
V.I.P.

^You could atleast sleep regularly until Dec. 31, 2011..

28-01-2009
V.I.P.

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The Ida, when a significant solar event strikes, it won't be 20 minutes. It could be 20 months.

Satellites could be destroyed beyond repair and it would take months to rebuild and relaunch them That means no long distance phone calls, no television, no internet, etc.

Electrical substations that are damaged required special transformers and other componants that are not stored as spares. There are only a few companies in the world that make them and delivery time can be several weeks or months for a single unit. In a severe solar storm, if dozens of units are damaged, it could be several months for them all to be replaced.

As noted above, these storms are relatively common, but are generally small enough to do little damage. However activity is increasing and a major storm has been expected for quite a while.

The Katrina comparison is silly. Katrina didn't cause a tenth the damage a major solar event could cause. Aside from the major systems above, home and business computers, vehicle onboard computers, basically anything with electronics could be destroyed by a major electro-magnetic pulse (EMP).

The actual measureable damage could be in the hundreds of billions of dollars.

The loss of business due to communications and transportation disruptions would be incalculable.

End of the world? No, but it could send us back to the late 1900's for quite a while.
20 months? no need to exagerate! it can be on 2 days max.

you can't possible know how powerful the storm can be, because is a space storm, you don't know it's intensity, when it will come, how much time it will be on...you only know because it happens in cycles...nothing more.

28-01-2009
fashion elite

I never thought conspiracy would invade my thefashionspot.

Nostradamus predicted a lot of things.. and he got a lot of them wrong, funny how people only focus on what he got right. The Mayan were great Astronomy and Scientist, but even they got things wrong as well (Google it).

See how ABC called it a "Katrina-like space storm"? They are doing this solely to cause panic and to get more people to watch their news on tv. Please, read that news article closely they never put any actual fact into the one in 2012 being as bad as they are making it out to be, they refer to 'maximum' active period, but if it happens every 11 years, what makes this the 'maximum' active period? I wish they would of clarified.

I'll wait for a news article straight from nasa.gov about this. Not ABC, MSN or FOX news (especially that crap network).

29-01-2009
V.I.P.

OK.... if you are taking this seriously....you have two choices

A. You can hide under the covers,loose slept and worry yourself sick over this or...

B. Make every day count,do something productive,leave you mark on the world,make other people happy,hug a stranger,feed a stray,find someone to love or let the person you're with know how much you love them.

29-01-2009
V.I.P.

ill take B!
Quote:

I never thought conspiracy would invade my thefashionspot.
uhh..what's that supposed to mean? we aren't free to talk about other things besides fashion or who's on the cover of Vogue Italia?

Last edited by Mchunu; 29-01-2009 at 09:33 PM.

29-01-2009
backstage pass

I wouldn't consider a storm a "conspiracy"
Reptilians are more of a conspiracy, the US behind 9/11 is a conspiracy...
But a storm?

30-01-2009
trendsetter

Sedirea- how do you know that this will not be one of the things that Nostradamus and the Mayans predicted correctly? I think this should be taken seriously but not too seriously.

31-01-2009
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
20 months? no need to exagerate! it can be on 2 days max.

you can't possible know how powerful the storm can be, because is a space storm, you don't know it's intensity, when it will come, how much time it will be on...you only know because it happens in cycles...nothing more.
I'm not talking about the duration of the storm. I'm talking about the rocovery time to rebuild the systems and relaunch replacement satellites. We're currently recovering from a major ice storm and they're saying it could be weeks for some people to get power restored. It takes time to do all the repairs.

31-01-2009
V.I.P.

^they say that to repair all the damage caused that the predict will cause, would take 4 to 10 years...

31-01-2009
don't look down

According to David Icke's criteria, I am one of the reptilians, which is news to me.

If a solar storm knocks out some of the modern stuff that we've grown reliant on, we'll go back to the old ways of living that got us by, until everything gets fixed. To get this far, humans have managed to cope with everything that's happened to us in our evolution, so being without satellite TV, google maps or any sort of overhead monitoring for a while shouldn't be too much of a hurdle. Besides, it'll provide jobs for people, fixing stuff.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ending, world