How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-03-2011
tfs star

Whoa.... This is no way anywhere NEAR the point I was making... But thanks for the info nonetheless, I didn't know that

17-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedIfIWantTo View Post
^Oh yeah I meant Pythagoras was Greek and he knew about a spherical earth too. I was just adding to what you were saying...
If I remembered correctly Pythagoras was a few hundred years before Eratosthenes? And he was thought to have been one of the originators of the idea?
yep , you're right. it's believed that Pythagoras was one of the first persons in defending the idea, although his disciples thought the opposite , so it's quite confusing. The first person in adding scientific reasons was Aristoteles.
i want to add that Eratostenes made his experiment in the III century BC not in the I, my mistake.

Last edited by Birkin; 17-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.

18-03-2011
backstage pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXDt4VdS0E

18-03-2011
scenester

^ that man predicted one earthquake correctly...you know how many earthquakes he predicted incorrectly?? lots more, just sayin'

18-03-2011
V.I.P.

9/11/2001
3/11/2004
3/11/2011
could 5/11/2011 play a significant part of a catastrophe?

there's somewhat of a calculated method (from what i was told) that will be of great proportion awaits....

18-03-2011
Soviet Camaro

^ AHA! So catastrophes are scheduled on the American date notation system! That's a clue.

18-03-2011
don't look down

Furthermore, throwing in a few tarot cards and rolls of the dice should improve the scientific accuracy of such calculations.

18-03-2011
scenester

theres some good news to all of this..scientists say wine can help protect from radiation, so we're stocking up here in cali. when the earthquake comes we'll all be drunk, having a blast

18-03-2011
don't look down

...raising the roof, shortly before it falls on your head.

18-03-2011
V.I.P.

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but the astrologists (however you precisely call it in English) are worried about this saturday, when the moon will be full and it's in the perigeum. The distance between the earth and the moon will only be 364.397 km.

People like to believe it influenced the disaster in Japan etc etc. Will raise the water and bladiebla. Choose to believe it but the moon will be 14% bigger so enjoy the view.

18-03-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
^ AHA! So catastrophes are scheduled on the American date notation system! That's a clue.

It is indeed ...

This is the first I've heard of the astrologists being concerned about the Full Moon this weekend ...

18-03-2011
don't look down

I posted about it a week ago, in an article that aimed for a scientific conclusion, but didn't want to entirely commit itself to stating the end of the world wouldn't happen:

Quote:
Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

18-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post

heard it from someone loopy. however, i don't believe in it...

but i do forsee the end of the US $'s dominance. now that's the end of the world to us Americans... ... ya heard it here first!

18-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I posted about it a week ago, in an article that aimed for a scientific conclusion, but didn't want to entirely commit itself to stating the end of the world wouldn't happen:
isn't it when the moon gets closer to the earth or something like that?
didn't this occurance happened few years ago?

19-03-2011
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobear View Post
You're not very familiar with science are you?
The universe did have a beginning and will most likely have an end. In addition, the universe is finite. But you can believe whatever your mind can can conjure.
Science is theory, conjecture, hypothesis; in another word - opinion. It's a human way of trying to explain something in terms that other humans might understand. "We think this is the way it is even though we can't prove it and since no one can prove us wrong, we'll just say it's so."

That doesn't make it fact.

The fact is that humans will probably never know if the Universe has boundaries or a beginning or an end.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ending, world