How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-12-2012
Making a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
I am not going to miss the opportunity for a party, though! :p
Me neither

And I get to start in t-minus 18 hours!

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

I hope not!! I haven't take my university entrance exam yet!!

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Lot's of "end of the world" party invitations for tomorrow. Can't choose.

20-12-2012
clever ain't wise

Yeah, it's a great reason to party, if nothing else :p

20-12-2012
backstage pass

it's amazing how now nobody talk about it now it is close
people who believed in it must be hiding behind rocks right now
can't wait to be tomorrow to deliver some overdue "told you so" ^^

20-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Sadly, I don't personally know anyone who believed this was the end, so there will be no opportunities for 'I told you so' But yeah, some of the people who wrote 2012 doomsday books have been lying low for awhile now, ever since it was perfectly clear that none of their predictions leading up to 'the end' were coming true ...

20-12-2012
Fashion Designer

Well, if the world ends tomorrow it's going to suck big time 'cause I'm sick and can't drink. Boo to you world ending!

Last edited by daniellat; 20-12-2012 at 09:16 PM.

20-12-2012
tfs star

Hello everyone!!! Well I just wanted to share with you some news about the end of the world

Well as you may know, Im from Guatemala (where the thing is going to happen) and I just want to be a good ambassador of my country and share with you, its not the end of world.

I found some articles at BBC News I consider interesting and true. I hope you can read them before the day ends.

The 2012 phenomenon is essentially an accounting problem; a misinterpretation of some very ancient book keeping.

It is based on the Maya calendar, which counts the days since a date in the mythical past. This count reset after the last creation (on or about 11 August, 3114BC). On 21 December, we will reach that same number of days once again, and many now are concerned that a calendrical reset the following day will mean the end of the world.

But it is not even clear that the Maya themselves agreed on this book-keeping issue. Two ancient inscriptions emphasise the importance of the date. But a third focuses on 13 October 4772, the end of an even bigger cycle that cannot happen if a reset occurs in 2012.

This more detailed text predicts that, at an even later date, the great king K'inich Janaab' Pakal will return to Palenque to rule. If this Maya prophesy is true, then the world will not end in 2012 or even 4772, no matter how the ancient calendar functioned.

Mayan apocalypse: End of the world, or a new beginning?

The "Long Count" cycle of the Mayan calendar began in 3114 BCE and is widely accepted to end on 21/12/12 CE.

Except that in Simon Martin's view, everyone has got it wrong.Martin is curator of the University of Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia's "Maya 2012" exhibition. He says the calendar is complex, and best thought of as a series of gear wheels.

He points out that there is an inscription describing an event that takes place in 4,722 of our era, "and that is the turning of an even bigger cycle".

In 3114 BCE the calendar reset to zero with the turning of the 13th bak'tun (which is a smaller, 400 year cycle). This time, however, it does not reset to zero but merely goes on to the 14th bak'tun.

The Mayan Calendar is a weird and wonderful thing.

Mayan ruins

The Mayan ruins of Tikal are hidden deep in the rainforests of Guatemala. From the air only a handful of temples and palaces peek through the canopy. The stone carvings are weather-beaten. Huge plazas are covered in moss and giant reservoirs are engulfed by jungle. The only inhabitants are wild animals and birds.

But 1,200 years ago, Tikal was one of the major cities of the vast and magnificent Maya civilisation that stretched across much of what is now southern Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Tikal was home to perhaps 100,000 people. Thatched farmsteads and fields would have stretched as far as the eye could see.

The Maya thrived for nearly 2,000 years. Without the use of the cartwheel or metal tools, they built massive stone structures. They were accomplished scientists. They tracked a solar year of 365 days and one of the few surviving ancient Maya books contains tables of eclipses. From observatories, like the one at Chichen Itza, they tracked the progress of the war star, Venus.

They developed their own mathematics, using a base number of 20, and had a concept of zero. They also had their own system of writing. Their civilisation was so stable and established, they even had a word for a 400-year time period.

Mayan society was vibrant, but it could also be brutal. It was strictly hierarchical and deeply spiritual. Humans were sacrificed to appease the gods. The elite also tortured themselves - male Maya rulers perforated the foreskins of their penises and the women their tongues, apparently in the hope of providing nourishment for the gods who required human blood.

In the ninth century, the Maya world was turned upside down. Many of the great centres like Tikal were deserted. The sacred temples and palaces briefly became home to a few squatters, who left household rubbish in the once pristine buildings. When they too left, Tikal was abandoned forever, and the Mayan civilisation never recovered. Only a fraction of the Maya people survived to face the Spanish conquistadors in the 16th century.

For decades, archaeologists have been searching for an explanation of the Maya collapse. Many theories have been put forward, ranging from warfare and invasion to migration, disease and over-farming. Many think the truth may lie with a combination of these and other factors.

But none of the conventional theories were good enough for Dick Gill. He believed that what had devastated the Maya was drought. However, drought as the only explanation of the Maya collapse was highly controversial.

Pictures of Tikal

source: BBC News

Last edited by IceePriincess; 20-12-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: mispelled some words!

20-12-2012
fashion icon

Not really a believer in any of this but if something does go down, I just hope it's over quickly, painlessly & I'm able to sleep right through it. Hopefully I'll get to go to heaven & get to ask God why he couldn't throw me some breaks/luck etc

On a serious note, I'm really just hoping that there aren't idiots out there really believing this nonsense & decides to go all "heavens gate".. Now that would be a real tragedy
Posted via Mobile Device

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Let's just use this doomsday prediction as an excuse to get really wasted.

21-12-2012
backstage pass

It's the last day of school. I'm gonna get drunk in the evening anyway.

21-12-2012
V.I.P.

I see the world hasn't ended! My 11 year old son had a zombie apocalypse bag ready to go - with first aid, extra socks, a swiss army knife, turtles chocolates and some vitamins.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

21-12-2012
V.I.P.

yay we are all alive!
cheers to a new era!

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco

21-12-2012
Soviet Camaro

My friend in New Zealand (where it is now the 22nd) tells me the world actually did end, but she is still here because she is wearing good shoes. So it might be a good day to go shoe shopping!

21-12-2012
don't look down

I was going to use what time we had left to plan out my position in the New World Order, but instead, I seemed to spend most of it sitting on a bus, in Christmas traffic, going nowhere fast.

I'll just have to draw up that blueprint for world domination tomorrow... or maybe the next day... or stick it on a resolutions list.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ending, world