How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-10-2007
front row

2012 : is the world ending? and what happens after that?
Did anyone see the show the other night on the History Channel, "Doomsday 2012"? I'm a skeptic when it comes to these predictions and prophecies...after all, how many times have people gotten all worried over absolutely nothing!?

Interesting however, this show revealed multiple prophetic findings from science and various cultures over time, all coming to the same conclusion independently of one another.

For example:

The Mayan Calendar, which has accurately predicted events before based on astronomy, predicts that Dec 21 2012 the world will end.

Furthermore, scientists believe that on or around this date, what they call a solar maximum will occur which will reverse the polarity of the Earth, thus causing major natural catastrophes all at once. I thought this was hokey but Nasa confirms at least a warning of it apparently:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ormwarning.htm

Then the show cited a hand full of prophets and
Oracles over time. The ones highlighted on the show had all accurately and more importantly, specifically, predicted events before (i.e. predicted Hitler by name, or the exact date of an invasion, etc..) Take it for what you will...many ca write this off as BS...however, it is fascinating that each came to the same conclusion independently of one another, about the time the world will end and how.

It went on to mention the Bible's predictions of the end times, some of which did seem in chillingly odd correlation with current world events, particularly in the Middle East.

The Hopi Indians too, had the same predictions, etc.. etc...they listed so many...

In modern times, statisticians use technology called a webbot to tap into and read the "subconscious mind of the universe" through following patterns, words, numbers on the internet. It was invented to help predict the stock market. But oddly enough it was coming up with other unusual readings one of which was taken note of in July 2001 about a terrorist attack in NYC within a certain range of days....and sure enough 9/11 came to be. It's predicted other events correctly as well. So apparently the webbot is now predicting natural catastrophe and many people dieing in 2012. ????

So...

I am not swayed easily by oracles or ancient calendars, but I do find the science involving the alignment of the center of the Milky Way galaxy, our sun, earth, and the large planets to be very compelling. No doubt the Earth is going through some odd changes as it is.

Look at this with a healthy dose of skepticism, question the information, etc...

It's fascinating and disturbing however you look at it.

What do you think? Another crazy hoax, or some truth in it?

14-10-2007
V.I.P.

I hope it ends, so we can go to a better place

14-10-2007
rising star

Ahh I hope there isn't any truth...that's like really soon...

John Cocteau

14-10-2007
scenester

yeah!

i read about this a few years ago on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012

either the world will blow up
or more excitingly
we will all suddenly get super psychic powers

i'm hoping for the latter

14-10-2007
scenester

Quote:
Metaphysical predictions

2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

* The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.
* The book 2012: Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by discarnate entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars. However, some Mayan priests living and working in Guatemala assert that there is no legitimacy to this theory.
* The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.
* The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) that will allow the third Antichrist to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a possible nuclear war, although in the strictest sense it is unspecific as to nuclear war or some other natural or man caused destruction.
* The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.
* The 2005 book Beyond 2012: Catastrophe or Ecstasy by Geoff Stray reviews several theories, prophecies and predictions concerning 2012 and finds where authors have used faulty information or have bent the truth to fit their theories.
* The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
* The 2007 book Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End by Lawrence Joseph does not make any specific new predictions, but it reviews a number of 2012 predictions made by various sources, and presents arguments for the possible existence of dangerous positive feedback loops involving solar storms, Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays, hurricanes, global warming, earthquakes, and supervolcanoes that may be on the verge of erupting.

Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

* Terence McKenna's mathematical novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
* Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012. [13][14][15]
* Some alien-enthusiasts (e.g. Riley Martin), along with some new-agers, believe 2012 to correspond approximately with the return of alien "watchers" or "caretakers" who might have helped the first human civilizations with developing their technology and may have been waiting for us to reach a higher level of technological and/or social advancement. Beliefs range from the extra-terrestrials having benevolent purposes — such as to help human society evolve — to malevolent purposes — such as enslavement of mankind and/or manipulation.
* There is a Hindu following indicating the appearance of an Avatar (God in human form) with God-like powers who will herald a new age. A website to this effect appears at: End of the World 2012.

-wikipedia

14-10-2007
scenester

Quote:
either the world will blow up
or more excitingly
we will all suddenly get super psychic powers

i'm hoping for the latter

At least I won't die a virgin.

14-10-2007
fashion elite

It is fascinating, but yet...didn't they predict the world would end at the turn of the millennium in 2000?

We're still here...

14-10-2007
The future is stupid

Well if so...be sure to stock up on lots of ammo & not too much food because you can always use the ammo to get more food & oh snark...does this mean my BlackBerry is gonna stop working

14-10-2007
tfs star

from what i've read it doesn't exactly mean end of the world, it means end of times. which can be interpreted in different ways.

14-10-2007
rising star

intersting, kind of scary, but very interesting.

14-10-2007
V.I.P.

I can't wait till December 2012

14-10-2007
V.I.P.

Bringing immaturity to this thread, everyone from tFS is invited to Toronto so we can all PARTY! before the world ends.

By the way, when is the show gonna air?

Last edited by fouroclock; 14-10-2007 at 04:59 PM.

14-10-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisandwich View Post
from what i've read it doesn't exactly mean end of the world, it means end of times. which can be interpreted in different ways.
that's a neat way of looking at it..
i think it would be interesting if something *big*/supernatural will happen 2012

14-10-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

I won't even get to finish college. :sad:

I would actually prefer it be the end of the world than the end of time, because more than likely (going with Christian doctrine here, considering that the only one I really know), either Satan is going to come back and start chopping off people's heads and witchunting the religious, or we will all revert back to hunter/gatherer times. I don't want either!

14-10-2007
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochas View Post
It is fascinating, but yet...didn't they predict the world would end at the turn of the millennium in 2000?

We're still here...
seriously. every few years we get this. there was even hoopla around 6/6/06

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ending, world