How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-02-2007
breakfast time

Alan Arkin Hoped Abigail Breslin Would Lose

Little Miss Sunshine Oscar-winner Alan Arkin confessed on the red carpet before the show that he hoped his young costar, Abigail Breslin, would not win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. (His wish came true – Dreamgirls star Jennifer Hudson won the award.)

Speaking to Access Hollywood, Arkin, 72, said: "I hope she loses frankly. No, I'm serious. I am not joking."

Arkin, who played a foul-mouthed grandpa to Breslin as their fractured family hit the road in Sunshine, insisted he had the child actress's best interests at heart in hoping she walked away empty-handed. "What, next year she is going to get the Nobel Prize? It's enough. She has had enough attention."

Arkin, whose own film career spans five decades, said he simply wants Breslin, 10, to enjoy childhood innocence. "I love her and I love her family; and I feel enough is enough," he said. "She is a kid; she needs to have a childhood."

Arkin, who won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, told PEOPLE after the show that he doesn't much like award shows. "I don't believe in competitions between artists. This is insane. Who has the authority to say someone is better?"

Still, he wasn't complaining about his win. "I'm happy I have this. It's very nice."

Asked why he thinks he won, Arkin told PEOPLE: "I haven't got a clue. I think it's my age. Everybody thinks I'm going to keel over in a year or two."

^ I completely understand what he's saying. She needs to be a kid and winning an Oscar that young would probably make her set really high and unrealistic expectations for herself. Congrats to Alan for winning. He's a great actor IMO.

( source: http://www.people.com/people/article...013434,00.html & image from http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0449059/02861.jpg.html )

26-02-2007
V.I.P.

I agree, if she did win would of most likely turned into Lohan or Spears...

26-02-2007
trendsetter

Very, very wise words. I wish more people in Hollywood had the same attitude.

27-02-2007
V.I.P.

I agree with him, it's too muchfor a young kid to win an oscar.

27-02-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiLee
Very, very wise words. I wish more people in Hollywood had the same attitude.
agreed. he was well spoken and his sentiment came with love and care for her

27-02-2007
V.I.P.

Very wise man

27-02-2007
VSFS 2009!

Agree whole-heartedly. I agree with him on the statement about the Oscars too. Who is to say that one artist is better than the other? According to this year's result, Jennifer Hudson is apparantly a better actress than Cate Blanchett. Though I enjoy watching the oscars, it's a shame that they don't give the oscars to those that truly deserve it. (Martin Scorsese not included)

27-02-2007
front row

I totally agree! But unfortunatly, the media are going to blow this totally out of proportion

My french makeup blog
27-02-2007
V.I.P.

^ Why not? At least for once it's something reasonable.

27-02-2007
VSFS 2009!

It is reasonable. However, admittedly so when I read this on IMDB, it sounded like a negative statement, like he was hoping she would lose because she didn't deserve it at such a young age but if you read into it, you can see that he said it out of affection for her

27-02-2007
front row

I m very happy he won He did a great role and the whole movie was great! And I agree completely with him, if she had won now, she wouldn't have anything else to work for and she would only lose her childhood...

Estonian streetstyle site
27-02-2007
V.I.P.

Remember Anna Paquin winning it, age 11? It didn't do much for her career.

27-02-2007
fashion icon

Yeah for Alan Arkin....I loooved how when he won, he placed his Oscar on stage to do his speech....it was almost like he meant to show it was not the highlight of his night and to focus on this praise of others.. One of the reason I like watching the Oscars is because I enjoy hearing genuine heartfelt speeches and he gave a really good one. Yah for him!

dlg

27-02-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

I totally agree with him.... in fact, this first thing I thought when I saw her at the Oscars was, "is she going to miss school tomorrow?"

27-02-2007
V.I.P.

Alan Arkin is awesome. I heard an interview with him on NPR one day and I swear he is the most eloquent celebrities I've ever heard speak (and I'm not talking the wannabe eloquent celebs: Ben Affleck, George Clooney, Sean Penn, Madonna etc etc)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abigail, alan, arkin, breslin, hoped, lose