How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-09-2008
trendsetter

At the end of the day, Valentino needs revenue. And while Facchinetti had some pretty designs, it wasn't enough to bring a solid customer base back to the house. Valli will bring celebs, which will in turn bring customers. It's simple economics, and while it isn't fair, it's how businesses work.

29-09-2008
backstage pass

tragic,I love her 08 fall HC so much...
it's really a SHAME.

29-09-2008
V.I.P.

WTF?

Her first HC was brilliant.

Why is she out after only 3 shows?

But satisfaction brought it back
29-09-2008
fashion icon

Why just be hurried to replace her with someone else? She's been in the house for only 3 seasons! And personally I like her couture collection F/W 2008, she's got potential and give her more chances to prove herself, please!

29-09-2008
barcode

So tragic, if it turns out to be true anyway. I mean, if we really want to get technical she's only done one collection. HC doesn't make money, so that shouldn't be a factor, and pre-fall collections are a part of the f/w collection, it's just the stuff that arrives in stores earliest but it's part of the same collection. So with that in mind, she's had one shot to prove that she can stay true to the house's dna, sell clothes, shoes and bags, and show everyone what she plans to bring to the mix. Taking over a fashion house isn't like auditioning for a movie roll, you don't just blow it on the first try and never hear from them again.

It's unfortunate that the suits have lost sight of that. Surely sales of her first collection couldn't be bad, it was just a more youthful, less fussy take on classic Valentino. Nothing that would completely alienate the clientele or the buyers. And it's not like Valentino is in a bad financial state, so I don't see why there would be such urgency to oust her.

29-09-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
I agree totally Spike. If they are indeed so worried about revenue, why not look in the accessories department for people to replace? That is, imo, the weakest area of Valentino. The bags and shoes are nothing but overpriced leather with a big metal V on it. I think I've seen one nice Valentino bag worth noting. That's the bread and butter anyway.

30-09-2008
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
So tragic, if it turns out to be true anyway. I mean, if we really want to get technical she's only done one collection. HC doesn't make money, so that shouldn't be a factor, and pre-fall collections are a part of the f/w collection, it's just the stuff that arrives in stores earliest but it's part of the same collection. So with that in mind, she's had one shot to prove that she can stay true to the house's dna, sell clothes, shoes and bags, and show everyone what she plans to bring to the mix. Taking over a fashion house isn't like auditioning for a movie roll, you don't just blow it on the first try and never hear from them again.

It's unfortunate that the suits have lost sight of that. Surely sales of her first collection couldn't be bad, it was just a more youthful, less fussy take on classic Valentino. Nothing that would completely alienate the clientele or the buyers. And it's not like Valentino is in a bad financial state, so I don't see why there would be such urgency to oust her.
So true. I mean, Valentino cannot be in financial trouble, or at least in any dire trouble. It simply can't...we haven't been hearing about it at all, whereas with other labels such as YSL and McQueen, etc, we have been hearing about their financial troubles and their slowly growing success for quite some time. And if Valentino hasn't made quite as much this year as in previous, it certainly can't be anything so incredibly drastic...it's not like the Valentino woman isn't going to shop at Valentino anymore simply because a new designer was appointed. If anything, I would think that Alessandra would be attracting a new clientele as well!

I'm also very sad to hear about that Alessandra was chosen to pave the way for someone else. That's terrible! What would make her be unqualified to be Valentino's successor?...is it because she's a woman?!?!?

I'm just extremely frustrated. Even if it is only a rumor at this point, it's a rumor that seems to have more credit than, say, a silly rumor like "Galliano out at Dior" or "Anna out at Vogue"...

I'm just in disbelief...I hope so very much she stays...

Fat Karl

One more thing...if this ends up being true, this poor woman needs to just open up her own house. That way she'll never have to deal with being fired again...so extremely awful.

rising star

From what that article suggests, it was intended from the beginning that Alessandra wouldnt last long, that she would design lackluster collections and pave the way for Valentino's 'true successor'. If that was the case, I think the plan has seriously backfired, as people were really warming up to her work there.

You cant orchestrate the downfall of a house and subsequent 'revival' in 18 months.

If she does go, I can see the identity of Valentino getting lost. She seemed to really respect Valentino's legacy while designing modern and relevant collections and her couture collection was my favourite out of the season.

30-09-2008
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
One more thing...if this ends up being true, this poor woman needs to just open up her own house. That way she'll never have to deal with being fired again...so extremely awful.
My exact thoughts and I would support her so much for it! She is very, very talented and has gorgeous ideas! I'm at the edge of my chair waiting to see what will happen!

30-09-2008
V.I.P.

Ooh I hope this isn't true. I actually quite liked her fall 08 collection. Much younger, much less frilly and frouffy than I've come to expect from Valentino. But maybe that's the problem I guess.

Personally though, I thought Valentino needed some revamping, and I think Alessandra is the perfect person to do it.

30-09-2008
V.I.P.

OMG. So sad news/rumor. Alessandra is great desingner. She did two great collection for Gucci. Of course ther was many things from Tom Ford but it was great anyway. And now she'll leave Valentino? So unfair. Her colletion for Valentino was one of the best in f/w season (IMO). I would say it was like a breathe of fresh for Valentino house. It's extrimely hard to gain new clients after one show, so I have no idea what they want from her. And one more thing. I read that Valentino didn't want Alessandra to be his crapr. So if he didn't want her why he hired her. So unfair.

And I agree with you guys that Alessandra should open her own fashion house so she'll be able to do what she wants. And I keep my fingers crossed for her in Paris this week. Hope she'll show sth really gorgeous becouse what we seen now in NY and Milan is lots of crap.

30-09-2008
backstage pass

IT's so sad, I mean I love her collection for Valentino...
I believe she have keep the DNA of Valentino and have a little something from herself...
Pls let her stay a few more seasons and see

D‘MMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
tell that to jil sander

(mean )

V.I.P.

Its sad because she is really talented , her work was great, in any case I dont blame Valentino because they feed off celebrities

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alessandra, creative, director, facchinetti, tod, update, valentino