How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2007
Press escape to continue.

I'm notice that the article says he is resigning instead of retiring, though. Perhaps he will continue to create just for the joy of it.

04-09-2007
a hymn to darkness

Theyskens would have been an interesting choice, indeed. Stefano isn't off the mark either, though I think he is quite at home with YSL. The prospect of the Proenza boys taking over is exciting. It'd inject modernity into the house, though I wonder if they've got enough artistic focus to harness such an undertaking.

backstage pass

Can we let Galliano handle the house??????
we sure will see Valentino-ladies-turn-whores dresses with 8 inch heels, geisha make ups that will raise Valentino's blood pressure...

lol kidding...theysken will be really interesting....but theysken is more into dark poetic romance simplicity but valentino is kind of romantic simplicity with mature colours and details

04-09-2007
tfs star

Make way for the new generation I say.

I agree with softgrey, Proenza would be perfect.

barcode

Valli seems like he'd be a good choice. He's got that whole glamour thing down pat, slightly old world couture, but with an edge.

Proenza is too erratic to me. One season is great, the next is questionable....imo anyway.

Last edited by Spike413; 04-09-2007 at 12:00 PM.
04-09-2007
Wanderlust

Oh, this is sad and exciting! I still say Alessandra Facchinetti would be good!

04-09-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

Valentino is one of my favorites, the last of the great couturiers.

I don't know how I feel about Alessandra Facchinetti replacing him... she was good at Gucci, but is that really the style we need for Valentino?

04-09-2007
barcode

^ In a way, Valentino is just a more fussy, mature version of what Gucci used to be...in terms of the glam quotient.

04-09-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
I'm notice that the article says he is resigning instead of retiring, though. Perhaps he will continue to create just for the joy of it.
We're thinking the same thing !
Is he just retiring ???
I mean he looks ready to retire, no?

04-09-2007
V.I.P.

soooooooooo sad news, we need Olivier Theyskens for Valentino ,not Nina Ricci!!

04-09-2007
V.I.P.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

fashion elite

oh

04-09-2007
fashion insider

What about Zac Posen?
Many of their designs are conformed to the Valentino aesthetic...

04-09-2007
tfs star

sad news

He is one of my favourite designers and I was always waitng for his shows, and I also enjoyed them - his dresses are so beautiful!

The future is stupid

source | iht
September 4, 2007

Quote:
Statement from Valentino Garavani

"Last July, in Rome, I celebrated my 45th Anniversary in Fashion. It was a moment of infinite magic and tremendous joy, and I cannot fully express with words how deeply moved I was by the occasion. I received an outpouring of good wishes from all over the world, which brought me great satisfaction. I was very touched that friends-old and new-traveled from far reaches to be a part of the Festivities.

It was a moment that will be impossible to repeat.

And so, at this time, I have decided that is the perfect moment to say adieu to the world of fashion.

As the English say, I would like to leave the party when it is still full.

My future will be filled with new interests and challenges. Some may be linked to fashion, as I have a strong desire to create and support institutions to promote the study of fashion design, and to preserve the history of the art of fashion. It will be a marvelous continuation of this amazing adventure that I had the privilege to have.

Even as a young boy, my passion was to design, and I have been very lucky to be able to do what I have loved all my life. There can be few greater gifts than that. I am especially grateful that I have been able to keep my own style over the decades, in spite of the many changes that have taken place in the world of fashion and in its business.

I will perform my work until the end of January 2008. I am currently working on my final ready-to-wear collection to be shown in Paris this October. Following that, I will create my last collection of haute couture to be shown in Paris in January.

I realize the house that carries my name will go through some changes but I wish to think that the team of designers of the various lines - some of whom have been working by my side of many years - will make me proud of Valentino's products.

My most emotional thanks go to the thousands of people in fashion, and to those the world over who have supported me all of these years. Finally, a special word of heartfelt thanks to my associates who have helped me make my work a success."

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alessandra, creative, director, facchinetti, tod, update, valentino