How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2007
backstage pass

I realize he is one of the greatest designers to ever grace the world of fashion, he's one of the people that have actually DEFINED fashion, but just like Giorgio Armani, Karl, his collections as of late have become boring caricatures of the past great works. I think this step-down is a great opportunity for some fresh head to step in and bring in something outrageously new to the table while keeping the traditions, basics - if you will, of Valentino in the collections to come! *wink-wink* Balenciaga

05-09-2007
windowshopping

Holy, wow. Valentino gone? I don't think he'll be completely gone... But it's a good opportunity for others to step up.

Last edited by pink1e; 05-09-2007 at 12:17 AM.
05-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida View Post
What about Zac Posen?
Many of their designs are conformed to the Valentino aesthetic...

I agree.

What sad news.

05-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Wasn't there an article a while back (year or two) where Valentino speculated on who he though would be a good replacement for him where he mentioned Tom Ford.....or was that Armani?

Anyway, I don't necessarily think that would be a bad thing. And let's not forget that what he did at Gucci was one thing, it doesn't necessarily represent what he'd do for another house. It could bring in an entirely new clientele to Valentino outside of the aristocrats and Park Ave ladies.

However, I don't see that happening any time soon with TF focusing on building his own brand. I would, however, die of shock and joy if it did turn out to be true in some freaky plot twist.

Yes, I was thinking Tom would be ideal!

But, being a newbie, I was too shy to suggest him!

05-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_expert View Post
Valentino FW0809 campaign: public hair trimmed in a V shape...very classy

With respect, although funny, that seems like a very one dimensional view of TF's work, to me...

05-09-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
He meant nothing to me in the fashion world
He meant stability. In the constant changing world of fashion, he represents a rock that women can always go to for beautiful clothes.

But satisfaction brought it back
05-09-2007
V.I.P.

He made some really beautiful evening dresses. I'm suprised by the news

Quote:
Former Gucci designer Alessandra Facchinetti is thought to be first in line as a replacement, with Giambattistta Valli, Stefano Pilati and Proenza Schouler duo Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez in hot pursuit

rising star

^ yeah, i can't really see them taking valentino's position... their clothes are too modern and urban, IMO... much more new york then milan.

i don't really aprecciate the kind of clothing valentino produces, but like some said here before, he's the one to run to when what you're looking for is old hollywood glamour and luxury... and i never thought of that before you lot pointed it out, but it is, in fact, important to have someone with that kind of stability in the fashion world... someone whose work doesn't change acording to seasons. he is, and will always be, a very important character in the fashion business.

05-09-2007
don't look down

> Lets face it, Valentino might make beautiful clothes but he does nothing for the evolution of fashion.

Even the most innovative of designers are at best reworking the past for minds that are too young to remember it. Each season there's a new revival of some decade from yesteryear; every fall, it's red lipstick to the fore. If there is any advance in fashion, it comes from the laboratories of the scientists that are creating new textiles, not from the people who can physically only do so many things with a skirt or a shirt, and nothing that hasn't been done before.

Valentino's strength lay in his insistence on a very recognisable personal aesthetic, a familiarity which would have been destroyed had he tinkered with it every season in the search for 'novelty'. He wasn't there to amuse and shock onlookers, he was there to provide those with a sense of their own style, a reaffirmation of that. Fashion isn't exclusively about changing your outfit ten times a day; it's also about expressing the facets of a consistent and immensely powerful sense of self - and that's exactly what he did.

V.I.P.

No! I saw this coming, but this is terrible news... I love Valentino. I can't believe that he only has one RTW and another HC left!

V.I.P.

realistically noone can take his place.
i disagree that it is like marc at vuitton or john at dior, etc. neither of these actually took directly over from the designer who created the ("his") brand.
valentino s collection are all about him because it has only ever been him! it is difficult to imagine someone else take over and do as he did. i am sure he will lose all his super classy customerbase he had built up throughout his career and who are up until now hardcore, dedicated V fans.
personally i am all into my new fashionforward avant garde designers but ask me who makes the best evening dresses...: VALENTINO is in my top 3! (ODLR and Saab being the other 2)
i am running to the store now with my mum on one arm and my handbag on the other!
i suddenly feel the urge to get THAT red long V dress ive always wanted!!

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
05-09-2007
rising star

Okay so I guess it's official as Alessandra Fachinetti will be taking his place and her first show will be in march 2008....God Bless her....(vogue.co.uk)

05-09-2007
Wanderlust

Vogue.co.uk:

BREAKING NEWS: ALESSANDRA FACCHINETTI AT VALENTINO
THEY'RE big shoes to fill, but Alessandra Facchinetti is going to give it her best shot as the house of Valentino announced today that the former Gucci designer will take the reins from Mr Valentino himself. After months of speculation, the legendary designer's decision to resign was announced yesterday, with Facchinetti's name immediately being mentioned as the favourite to succeed him. "We believe that we have chosen a design team able to give strong creative content and that Alessandra Facchinetti is the designer who can interpret and continue the legacy of Valentino’s core values at the best," said Stefano Sassi, Valentino Fashion Group's ceo. Facchinetti famously took Tom Ford's spot as head of womenswear at Gucci in 2005, only to resign two seasons later following "a disagreement with management". She will have back-up in the shape of Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli, Valentino's accessory designers, who will continue in their current creative positions, as the house announces a shift in focus to menswear. "I am honoured to be part of this new project," said Facchinetti. "Mr Valentino has always been a point of reference for me, an icon for his sense of style and elegance. My admiration and respect for him is endless. I will dedicate myself to this new project with great passion and enthusiasm, treasuring everything that has been done thus far, and be ready to present my first collection in March 2008." Valentino will exit after just one more ready-to-wear and one Couture collection, marking the end of a fashion era. (September 5 2007, AM)

Oh how exciting!!! So happy for her she has gotten this!

05-09-2007
V.I.P.

Good for her.

God Save McQueen

good for her. I don't know how she will do, but she was treated rather poorly by Gucci

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alessandra, creative, director, facchinetti, tod, update, valentino