How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2007
V.I.P.

Alessandra's collection for Gucci was not what I had in mind for Valentino.

But satisfaction brought it back

05-09-2007
tfs star

I actually have a bright hope for Allesandra's Valentino. It will be classic, but new at the same time

V.I.P.

i think she is better than frida ....IMO they are to many milanese designers in fashion today running french houses lol....aside from valentino and so far i have never been a fan of the milanese minimalistic aesthethic nor the ultra glam girl one

05-09-2007
V.I.P.

So EXTREMELY dissapointed by this.

05-09-2007
Looking Up

As repetitive as Valentino is, nobody can beat his fashion. He was like a sort of standard for me, I compared a lot of other fashion against his.

05-09-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post

as am I. As much as the PS boys dont fit valentinos aesthetic, I was interested seeing their take on it. it seemed like a quirky, but interesting fit. i wasn't to keen on facchinetti at gucci- but I was never a huge gucci fan. looking forward to seeing what she creates.

05-09-2007
fashion insider

But I don't think Valentino wants to take a risk on people who are inconsistent or have too much of their own style...I don't think they're going for 'quirky' at this point...it's too much of a gamble.

05-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Ohh I am as well.. very very very much.. why her???? Will be the death of the true and proper glamour... its a shame.

Last edited by esquire; 05-09-2007 at 07:19 PM.
05-09-2007
V.I.P.

I'm not a big Valentino fan but I'm so happy for Alessandra Facchinetti

I loved her at Gucci and couldn't believe it when they replaced her with "what's her name" who has RUINED the whole house of Gucci (I'm talking clothes, shoes, bags the whole lot). Alessandra wasn't even given a decent chance at Gucci. I'm glad Valentino has faith in her.

THANK GOD it's not Zac or PS

05-09-2007
trendsetter

Allesandra's work for Moncler exudes Valentino style in droves. She is a perfect fit and will revitalize it's shaping and detail without losing sight of the house style.
it's good news for Valentino and especially Facchinetti...

the crying of humanity

How nervous Alessandra must feel right now!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post

Even the most innovative of designers are at best reworking the past for minds that are too young to remember it. Each season there's a new revival of some decade from yesteryear; every fall, it's red lipstick to the fore. If there is any advance in fashion, it comes from the laboratories of the scientists that are creating new textiles, not from the people who can physically only do so many things with a skirt or a shirt, and nothing that hasn't been done before.

Valentino's strength lay in his insistence on a very recognisable personal aesthetic, a familiarity which would have been destroyed had he tinkered with it every season in the search for 'novelty'. He wasn't there to amuse and shock onlookers, he was there to provide those with a sense of their own style, a reaffirmation of that. Fashion isn't exclusively about changing your outfit ten times a day; it's also about expressing the facets of a consistent and immensely powerful sense of self - and that's exactly what he did.

ITA, well said.

In fact, I think that, in this era of fast-dwindling world resources and Global Warming, it is imperative that fashion slows down a little.

I'm not saying that it should become boring, or artificially slow, but we need to start re-appreciating evolving trends that occur over a few years (as we always have in the past); rather than blindly obeying the trend switchback dictation; one season/year - in, the next - out, the next - in again and so on (and on and on).

We have to allow fashion to return to its natural pace and stop forcing it like a hothouse flower.

The fast fashion ethos is highly wasteful and as such, should be viewed as outmoded and distasteful; otherwise we will not have a world left in which to wear our huge (and ever growing) mountain of new, cheap, Chinese slave-made clothes.

Slower fashion sounds boring?

Look at it this way - think you can't afford the designer clothes and accessories you want? If fashion moved at a slightly less cutthroat pace, perhaps you could!

Last edited by chloehandbags; 05-09-2007 at 09:11 PM.
05-09-2007
teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloehandbags View Post
I'm not saying that it should become boring, or artificially slow, but we need to start re-appreciating evolving trends that occur over a few years (as we always have in the past); rather than blindly obeying the trend switchback dictation; one season/year - in, the next - out, the next - in again and so on (and on and on).
Good point. I never thought about it that way. Until you brought it up I never really viewed the out-one-season-in-the-next damaging to the fashion industry but now I can see how it would be.

trendsetter

^ Thanks, kahlilg!

05-09-2007
tfs star

i am so excited for her, i think that she will do an amazing job!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alessandra, creative, director, facchinetti, tod, update, valentino