Alleged Balenciaga Store Racism Angers Chinese Consumers - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
02-05-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Come on, do you actually belive they can recognise Albanians? Unless like Mullet said they are resellers with “advanced knowledge” (it does not get old 😁 )because they are in the middle of some turf war ( making this whole discussion absolutely pointless), there is absolutely no way they could have been that specific.
So what you are saying is that they are resellers with "advanced knowledge" in the middle of some turf war for being able to tell Albanians from Turks and Romanians? Am I a reseller with "advanced knowledge" in the middle of a turf war as well for having the same ability?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodencebt View Post
I don't mean this as an attack on anyone, just a clarification to the question "How can you identify an Albanian?" First of all, they speak Albanian. If you've been around a few Albanians in your life you'd recognize the language, and the guy who told this story on social media clearly lives in Paris and can easily recognize them. What's slightly ignorant is saying they could be Turks or Romanians, because they couldn't. All three have often different physical features and very different languages, even if they may seem similar to you. A person who's been around Albanians, Turks and Romanians would be able to tell them apart in a split second.
Hard to say this without sounding racist, but if you live in Paris long enough you absolutely recognise French Albanians.

02-05-2018
fashion elite

Quote:
So what you are saying is that they are resellers with "advanced knowledge" in the middle of some turf war for being able to tell Albanians from Turks and Romanians? Am I a reseller with "advanced knowledge" in the middle of a turf war as well for having the same ability?
But that’s exactly the problem, i do not believe anyone is able to tell someone’s origins without some prior knowledge. If you are familiar enough with certain nationalities you can certainly guess, but you won’t have enough authority to declare it as an absolute certainty in a public forum without justifying your opinion through stereotype or racial profiling. I would not even be sure of picking up my fellow nationals in a line up.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 02-05-2018 at 08:19 AM.
02-05-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
What's slightly ignorant is saying they could be Turks or Romanians, because they couldn't.
What’s great is that nobody said. I mentioned the similar way people refer to other immigrant groups (dismissively, racist) and how it’s ironic when making a case on racial profiling.

Les_Sucettes, it’s the total opposite in the US lol, even if you’ve never been outside the US, interacting with a few nationalities makes ‘guess the nationality’ acceptable small talk and god forbid you don’t look like what they think people of your country look like..

Thing is, if you know how migration movements work and what triggers them, you’ll know it’s by groups with shared characteristics (poverty based on ethnicity, class, you name it). Once in a new place, I believe a foreigner is completely capable of identifying these characteristics and correctly associate them with that group (habits, traditions, they all have a role..) and confirm them every single time. The mistake they make is assuming that group (a small portion of x country) sums up an entire nationality.. especially if it’s a group that for an number of reasons was historically marginalized by that society, most likely you’ll encounter different ‘looks’ when you actually visit the country.

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alleged, angers, balenciaga, chinese, consumers, racism, store