How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2013
fashion insider

At least anyone who's showed up in the photos looks tribal/African themed. But regardless, it doesn't bug me at all...it's actually never bugged me. A costume does not make these people racist, I strongly believe that. I wonder if people were offended when grace jones goes white face/albino? Because apparently that was classified as artistic.

One thing I will admit though, the gentleman dressed up as slaves was just way too much IMO...

28-10-2013
101st monkey airborne

Bad taste and racist. It's not something you do unless you want to get called out on it. They might not be terrible, hateful people, but it's still not acceptable. If the story of history were reversed, and it was Africans who had enslaved Europeans instead, then "whiteface" would be unacceptable, too. It's about power-dynamics and centuries of oppression.

However, very rich folks of all colors don't live by the same rules as the rest of us do. They can get away with it because they're in a VIP bubble where no one will give them the righteous thumping they deserve. Keep that in mind when viewing the antics of the jet set.

When in doubt, wear red.

What makes this borderline racist and so offensive is their extreme ignorance. How can you turn up at Tribal party dresssed as slave ? Blackface is one trashy-ridiculous thing but those slaves costumes are a real shame. Even though they put "blackface" on a whole other level with this stereotypical make-up. They look like colonial caricature of black people. And to see them posing and indulging with pride in those costume is even more offensive and sad.

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 28-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.
28-10-2013
V.I.P.

^^ welcome back mellowdrama!

I usually don't even bother with this type of discussions because anyone with a basic notion of history, or just the right amount of education to have taken a few levels of history and social sciences, will find this retrograde and see how the insult goes past something as dumb as a skin color and strikes directly in the endless amount of efforts made by people [from all colors] to put this behind us, however, the antagonist stance becomes so appealing because it's lonely and easier to stand out there that it's such a waste of time sometimes. But anyway, yeah, this has got to be one of the most archaic and offensive ideas for entertainment from a collectivity, which is what's interesting, that it's not carried out by some sad clueless character out of the same need I mentioned (attention through antagonism for the sake of antagonism) but people that portray so graphically how hungry they are to confirm their status (not even attention in this case) even if it takes disrespecting others and even themselves.

What's sad is that there are people in the same industry that have solid social and political awareness, and are active about it and have the ability to project such thoughtfulness and sensitivity through their work, but you see circuses like this, present them to the general viewer... or critics/researchers, and this is exactly what's expected from the fashion industry, this just reaffirms all the notions that being intellectually challenged and strangled by status-oriented goals is a prerequisite, and I still don't think it's accurate..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
At least anyone who's showed up in the photos looks tribal/African themed. But regardless, it doesn't bug me at all...it's actually never bugged me. A costume does not make these people racist, I strongly believe that. I wonder if people were offended when grace jones goes white face/albino? Because apparently that was classified as artistic.

One thing I will admit though, the gentleman dressed up as slaves was just way too much IMO...
Are you American? Do you know the history behind blackface? If not, I'd recommend you to actually do some research before comparing both things.
And it shouldn't be a matter of is it "way too much". Either it's wrong or right. In this case, everything is the former.

Last edited by LagerfeldBoy; 28-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.
29-10-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
Are you American? Do you know the history behind blackface? If not, I'd recommend you to actually do some research before comparing both things.
And it shouldn't be a matter of is it "way too much". Either it's wrong or right. In this case, everything is the former.

I don't think you even need to be American or understand Blackface to understand the basic premise that one's ethnicity is not a costume.

29-10-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:

You have to be joking with this post right? Can't you see how offensive these costumes are?

As loladonna said you don't need to be American to know a brief history of slavery. After all, Americans weren't the only ones involved in the slave trade.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
I don't think you even need to be American or understand Blackface to understand the basic premise that one's ethnicity is not a costume.
oh, I completely agree! I've been snooping around other forums engaging in this discussion and some members are justifying this and feeling as if there's no issue at all because they aren't American and thus blackface is an American thing. But as you said, one's ethnicity isn't a costume or something to even joke about.
The only reason I mentioned American is because the hatred root blackface has within the country and the minstrel shows that occurred after the civil war. I was referring to that poster I replied to that needs to do research why blackface is wrong. It baffles me that it doesn't bug him/or her.

Last edited by LagerfeldBoy; 29-10-2013 at 06:00 AM.
29-10-2013
secret garden

An absolute embarrassment that shows a real lack of sensitivity and awareness on the part of the participants.

29-10-2013
fashion insider

Why does the fashion industry have to disappoint me so terribly at every turn? They put on a minstrel show, for heaven's sake. How can people be this stupid?

29-10-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:

do you not understand the origin of the term blackface? its not just a term for painting your face black, but was a form of entertainment for white to stereotype and create a caricature of how the perceive black people... I hate when people try to use the reverse racism tactic and say "well what if it was whiteface" white people were never and will never have to endure what black have and still go through on a daily basis. I am not trying to start a pitty party but its very unsettling when someone tries to say we're overreacting or its not that big of a deal. All of this is flat out racist whether you choose to believe it or not.

29-10-2013
fashion insider

Halloween is the only day people dress offensively, I understand the historical terms around blackface but yeah I don't think it's a big f***ing deal.

trendsetter

I don't find the African themed ones racist because there in customs, I know the intent but it's still slightly offensive because THERE NOT CUSTOMS they are traditional clothing of the Maasai people which I feel offense too. BUT THIS PICTURE THAT I CANNOT STAND.

backstage pass

^^^ That pic really shows the ignorance of those men. I'm embarrassed for them.

I don't see how this blatant display of ignorance can be excused. By anyone. The outrage over this is not a case of the overly-sensitive PC-gone-overboard, which I find to be the case with quite a few criticisms when concerning high fashion. This is just wrong. What adult person would think it's fine get dressed in blackface or as a black slave is alright...? These idiots really enforce the stereotypes of the clueless, "fierce" idiots in the industry.

On a purely superficial note, the irony is that there is such a huge lack of creativity and imagination with these costumes from these "fashion" people.

29-10-2013
V.I.P.

Back in the day you'd bathe yourself in fake blood and could identify school 'bullies' because they were so 'bada*s' and wore gallons to achieve looking as disturbing as their personalities. Dressing like someone you didn't like that happens to sit next to you never occurred to anyone. The point was being on top of the game by scaring, not insulting.

Maybe these people didn't grow up with Halloween and just theme parties in a place that appears not to spend a dime on diversity awareness. I mean I'm sure the Italian government is superb in many areas (sighs) but triggering the ability of self-questioning among its citizens and demanding at least some more modern practices from the ones that allegedly sustain its economy (and will always influence the rest of the population to some degree) doesn't seem to be anywhere in their agenda, so ultimately they may have a theme party for Halloween but with horror stories like this, Italy nails Halloween the other 364 days of the year. It's not a big f*cking deal for the rest but it should be for them...

Who came up with this party anyway? and who's who?

Last edited by MulletProof; 29-10-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african, allesandro, blackface, dell’acqua, dellíacqua, halloween, party, themed, update, wear