How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2013
V.I.P.

Allesandro Dell’Acqua & More Wear Blackface To African Party *Update* Another Party
Literally sick to my stomach

Quote:
Last night, for a Halloween party with a ‘Disco Africa’ theme, several Italian fashion insiders, including designer Allesandro Dell’Acqua, came in blackface. Here he is, posing below with Stefano Gabbana (of Dolce & Gabbana) and Juan Fran Sierra.

The fête was documented by Russian photographer Zhanna Romashka, who put a slew of party pictures on her blog OnlyStylishPeople.it.
See a few more ‘artistic’ interpretations of Africa below:

Blackface is antiquated, has been deemed controversial across the board, and is racially insensitive. It is steeped in a negative history, pointing back to a time in American history when blacks were considered 3/5th of a human being–unfit to represent themselves, so white actors took the lead (at first), painting their skin brown and propagating some of the most pernicious and dehumanizing stereotypes of black people at the time (minstrel shows characterized blacks as lazy, superstitious, and buffoonish).

Do fashionable Italians live in a bubble? It would seem so. The uproar over Blackface in fashion has been constant and consistent ever since Carine Roitfeld painted Lara Stone brown for Paris Vogue. The enduring message: this is not ok!

fashionbombdaily.com

28-10-2013
army of lovers

SMDH. So many tacky and ignorant people out there. Dell'Acqua should really be ashamed.

28-10-2013
fashion icon

Gross. Now I understand so well when many black models say Milan is the most racist in terms of fashion week, with things like this.

28-10-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i usually think that people over react with the usual bronzed eds but this is a clear indication of blackface and the fact that a mainstream designer finds it fit to do is worrying

28-10-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

wow just noticed that the last guy is supposed to be a slave...SMDH

28-10-2013
fashion icon

Plus Giampaolo Sgura

instagram/anna_dello_russo

V.I.P.

A Blackface costume? Are you f*cking kidding me?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
wow just noticed that the last guy is supposed to be a slave...SMDH
I hadn't even noticed that! Urgh...

28-10-2013
V.I.P.

This is truly disgusting, you have an industry that is supposedly so accepting, especially when it comes to sexuality, but here you have powerful people in the fashion industry participating in blackface. In 2013 of all years. This was supposed to be the year of diversity, of celebrating ethnicities and trying to prove to the world that the fashion industry is not as horrible and stuck-in-the-past as it is made out to be. Everyone who participated in this should be ashamed, nothing about this is art or comedy, and no justifications can be made to prove these people are just having a good time. I will have none of it, and no one else in this community, or in the world for that matter, should either.

Last edited by ad31214; 28-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.
28-10-2013
V.I.P.

I'm waiting for the voice of discordance to chime in and say something to the effect that it's an African-themed party (ignoring the whole why is it an African themed party to begin with) so it makes it OK

28-10-2013
V.I.P.

OMG I saw this all over Instagram and wanted to call out Allesandro and Stefano being involved doesn't surprise me since he did those black women earrings that caused an uproar like 2 seasons ago. This is disgusting. I find it interesting that black models have such a hard time breaking into the Milan shows. I remember reading somewhere how Italians don't really see black women and therefore don't really think about it when it comes to casting. With that in mind, this just seems interesting and absolutely disgusting. For any italians on here, is there a certain perception about black people? It's just interesting seeing this coming from some of the top italian designers who don't really cast black women and then doing this insensitive bullsh**.

V.I.P.

Jeez! I thought we'd left minstrelsy behind at least 100 years ago!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
28-10-2013
fashion insider

ohnotheydidn't lj

Fashion people are racist and/or ignorant? How shocking!

28-10-2013
fashion icon

He was not the only one...

more slaves...

africasacountry.com

Last edited by heelscatchfire; 30-10-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Please do NOT link sources
28-10-2013
fashion elite

What a bunch of f**king idiots. Not funny, not cute, not appropriate, only ignorant and bigoted.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african, allesandro, blackface, dell’acqua, dell’acqua, halloween, party, themed, update, wear