How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2006
fashion insider

Angelina buys Ethiopia
Angelina Jolie buying own country

Angelina Jolie is buying her own country to help impoverished Africans.
The 'Tomb Raider' star, who is currently pregnant with boyfriend Brad Pitt's child, is buying Richard Branson's man-made version of Ethiopia, located in Dubai.
The British business tycoon is having 300 country-shaped luxury island developments built, to form a map of the world.
And the 55-year-old entrepreneur is selling parts of the 'world' to anyone rich enough to afford them.
The 30-year-old actress, who is due to give birth early in May, is reportedly planning to turn her new purchase into a fair-trade paradise for hundreds of Africans.
A source said: "Angelina has been obsessed with Ethiopia ever since she adopted her second child Zahara from there. Her friends are very jealous of her purchase."

Source: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebri...ntry-9537.html

Weird...so what`s she going to do? Re-locate starving and poor people, who suffered from drought in the desert to an artificial island in the arabian sea? Absurd...

22-04-2006
backstage pass

I think it's cool!!

22-04-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aime_la_mode
I think it's cool!!
I think it`s one of those absurd Celebrity "Charity Stunts" that only help the Celeb`s PR...if she really wanted to help Ethiopians she should invest IN the Country - not in some artificial "Disney Land construct"!

22-04-2006
backstage pass

WOW!Isn't she just the greatest human being evah!

22-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
if she really wanted to help Ethiopians she should invest IN the Country - not in some artificial "Disney Land construct"!
I agree...
although I don't understand for sure what she intends to do with this land she bought.

What annoys me is that most of these celebrities just talk, talk, talk; "we have to raise awarness, these people are dying". Yes, we have to raise awareness, and they are dying. And we should do something about it. So if I had that kind of money I'd really want to invest in these people, build an actual hospital, try and work with the government or some organizations to set up some system to provide them with food and medicine and habitation.
I know it's not as easy as it sounds but, hey, if you can buy a 5 million dollar mansion you can help to feed these people.

22-04-2006
trendsetter

I wonder whos going to buy the US. lol.

22-04-2006
Rebaptising my badness

Eh. That's a bit schizophrenic. Buying an island shaped like a country...

But I'd buy the USA if I had the money to.

V.I.P.

I think she's super annoying.

23-04-2006
front row

I don't believe this.

23-04-2006
front row

I'm actually happy for her. Obviously it's easier to buy Branson's Ethiopia than the real Ethiopia. And I'm sure, if she was able to, she would buy the real one.

I don't understand how anyone can be annoyed by Angelina Jolie. She's one of the few celebrities that actually does something.

Three cheers to Jolieland! lol

23-04-2006
backstage pass

Good for her!

23-04-2006
Fashionably Late

I find her to be scary, freaky, and a man-eater, but... I do believe that she has good intentions with the work she does and am pretty sure that unlike most celebs, she does not do it just because the cameras are watching (uh-hmmm, Jessica Simpson) (PS- She is going to eat Brad up and spit him out any day now!).

23-04-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic
The British business tycoon is having 300 country-shaped luxury island developments built, to form a map of the world.
And the 55-year-old entrepreneur is selling parts of the 'world' to anyone rich enough to afford them.
there's nothing angelina can do to surprize me anymore. i'm getting used to all the weirdness. but that businessman?? so he bought some land, had the brilliant idea to reproduce the map of the world and start selling 'countries'. i'm sure there are tons of bored filthy rich ppl who'd buy a pice of land to make another filthy rich man get even richer. what do they do with all these money?

23-04-2006
backstage pass

^that's very true, but if i was one of the filthy rich ppl I'd do same I love dubai, and Angelina's idea is very gracefull, however absurd ...

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

what the hell? this sounds like complete crap

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
angelina, buys, ethiopia