How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-06-2011
backstage pass

OMG! He's so right. Anna has turned american vogue into a farce. There's nothing fashion about it. All we see every months is actresses, who only care about promoting their movies. The covers don't even tell a story. And did someone say she's the most important woman is fashion? Wow. And miranda priestly is dedicated to her? What are these ppl thinking? The magazine is as commercial as it can get. Karl, is like the most superficial man, i don't even see his appeal. His designs are as good as any other struggling designer only with drama attached. And i think he should just give up photography. I really don't see his appeal
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dreamss; 24-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.

24-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
I don’t need her support at all. Anna Wintour doesn’t deal with pictures; she is just doing PR and business, and she scares everybody. But when she sees me, she is the scared one. [Laughs.]
Wow, he is not lacking in confidence, anyhow.

24-06-2011
V.I.P.

Do you want to know why Anna Wintour is editor of Vogue? Because daddy was editor of London's Evening Standard. Period. End of story.

As far Karl Lagerfeld, I don't think anyone else has maintained the integrity of a fashion house so consistently and successfully to date. Yes, he's created some ugly outfits, but Chanel classics are the epitome of chic and quality. After working for the boutique, I learned of Karl's absolute reverence for Coco Chanel's history, with esoteric references galore (stars, moons and lions representing Coco's astrological sign, and the camelia was her favorite flower). There are references of the lovers she had and the places she vacationed. There are many many references and purposeful idiosyncrasies like this in his work, it unfolds like Coco's diary or biography. That's an incredible feat and only he has done this.

Karl's always maintained that he's never nostalgic and that one should always remain modern, however I find that Karl sells a spirit of a bygone romantic era, one that no longer exists. His luxury reminds me of that of the glamorous 20s/30s (not aethetically but theoretically). It will be a sad day when he retires, though I don't believe he will make that choice.

I don't own any Alaia, alas, I cannot afford it. But I certainly would purchase it if I could. I respect both designers The world would be a boring place with only one aesthetic.

Last edited by Fabulyss; 24-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.
25-06-2011
fashion insider

^I completely agree with everything you've said.

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
anna wintour did not get profiled by the new york times or sit down with charlie rose because of her fashion choice or because some view her as a prickly personality. anna wintour has made american vogue a force not only in the world of fashion but within the larger world of business, the city of new york, and so many others.

it's laughable to try to contend that american vogue remains irrelevant in the world of fashion. just because one might not like the things anna wintour has done with vogue magazine does not mean she has not done anything of relevance. the young designers who receive CFDA awards would argue differently. the fashion houses who have benefited from fashion's night out would argue differently.

azzedine alaia would not have such a chip on his shoulder if vogue remained irrelevant. we don't see him badmouthing other fashion rags that overlook his work in the same fashion. does he castigate glenda or robbie with the same vehemence? there's a reason for that.
Thank you!

I always enjoy watching these Anna bashing sessions because it just seems like people enjoy hating her more than having a true reason to, unless being bored by her cover-celebs is a valid reason to hate her.

As for her relevance, and more importantly that of American Vogue, I can't believe anyone would question it. Is it not still the hope of most designers new and established to have their designs and products featured in American Vogue? Is it not considered a turning point in a model's career when she's featured in a Vogue spread? Do young, aspiring stylists, editors and writers no longer aspire to work for Vogue? The argument of business vs. fashion seems entirely irrelevant to me when the magazine is still considered by so many people actually working within the industry as the ticket to bringing their career to the next level. I'm not even sure that it has to do with Anna herself, but rather the prestige that the name Vogue has always carried, and which Anna has maintained. Bitch or not, stylish or not (a ridiculous criticism considering what some in the industry wear), she's still the one everyone aims to impress.

25-06-2011
V.I.P.

post 21

In 1955, the Vreelands moved to a new apartment which was decorated exclusively in red. Diana Vreeland had Billy Baldwin[disambiguation needed] decorate her apartment.[12] She said, "I want this place to look like a garden, but a garden in hell."

26-06-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Thank you!

I always enjoy watching these Anna bashing sessions because it just seems like people enjoy hating her more than having a true reason to, unless being bored by her cover-celebs is a valid reason to hate her.

As for her relevance, and more importantly that of American Vogue, I can't believe anyone would question it. Is it not still the hope of most designers new and established to have their designs and products featured in American Vogue? Is it not considered a turning point in a model's career when she's featured in a Vogue spread? Do young, aspiring stylists, editors and writers no longer aspire to work for Vogue? The argument of business vs. fashion seems entirely irrelevant to me when the magazine is still considered by so many people actually working within the industry as the ticket to bringing their career to the next level. I'm not even sure that it has to do with Anna herself, but rather the prestige that the name Vogue has always carried, and which Anna has maintained. Bitch or not, stylish or not (a ridiculous criticism considering what some in the industry wear), she's still the one everyone aims to impress.
anna didn't do all that for american vogue, the ppl before her did.
Posted via Mobile Device

26-06-2011
barcode

^ I never said that she did that on her own, but considering that she's been running Vogue for the last twenty-something years I think it's safe to say that she's played her part in it. Much as you might like to believe it, Vreeland can only hold so much influence from beyond the grave.

Last edited by Spike413; 26-06-2011 at 02:31 AM.
26-06-2011
V.I.P.

so true... go Azzedine!

27-06-2011
backstage pass

If you ask me vogue paris, vogue italia,even vogue spain, is doing better than us vogue. At least with them fashion comes first, and they use ppl (models) who know fashion, not actresses. American vogue isn't what it used to be. Ppl just refuse to see that.
Posted via Mobile Device

27-06-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamss View Post
If you ask me vogue paris, vogue italia,even vogue spain, is doing better than us vogue. At least with them fashion comes first, and they use ppl (models) who know fashion, not actresses. American vogue isn't what it used to be. Ppl just refuse to see that.
Posted via Mobile Device
while the decision to have american vogue use celebrities instead of models for its cover remains a controversial one, the success of that strategy speaks for itself when one looks at how every other fashion magazine has followed suit. further, while it's fun in these forums to extol the virtues of some of the other regional editions of vogue, let's not lose sight that lots of those magazines use quite a bit of content from american vogue and a lot of those magazines sell because of the success of american vogue.

also, even if one disagrees with all of those points, none of those found themselves mentioned in azzedine's rant: he dismisses anna wintour because of her personal style which strikes me as just laughable when one compares her fashion choices to that of other women in her position. does she honestly dress so differently than robbie myers at elle? or glenda bailey at bazaar? or andrea shulman at british vogue? or katie love? seriously, THAT'S the reason? and then to say diana vreeland stood as a paragon of great personal style just shows how out of touch he remains with the modern world.

(source: nytimes.com)

V.I.P.

anna hasnt really groomed any major talent at vogue either. meisel can be seen more of a protege of sozzani instead. where's the next irving penn?

i think she was right to demote andre leon talley though last year. he's obnoxious.

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
while the decision to have american vogue use celebrities instead of models for its cover remains a controversial one, the success of that strategy speaks for itself when one looks at how every other fashion magazine has followed suit. further, while it's fun in these forums to extol the virtues of some of the other regional editions of vogue, let's not lose sight that lots of those magazines use quite a bit of content from american vogue and a lot of those magazines sell because of the success of american vogue.

also, even if one disagrees with all of those points, none of those found themselves mentioned in azzedine's rant: he dismisses anna wintour because of her personal style which strikes me as just laughable when one compares her fashion choices to that of other women in her position. does she honestly dress so differently than robbie myers at elle? or glenda bailey at bazaar? or andrea shulman at british vogue? or katie love? seriously, THAT'S the reason? and then to say diana vreeland stood as a paragon of great personal style just shows how out of touch he remains with the modern world.

(source: nytimes.com)
Diana Vreeland was an eccentric. And that dress is far superior to anything that has been on the runway this year. Very hard to carry, though, and the fact that DV did that at her age stands as a testament to her persona and style.

That said, I think Anna Wintour is beautiful and stylish, but not an eccentric. Her allure is the ice princess - and obviously she does this extremely well. Her personal style would be one of the last things I would criticize. Even though it seems to me she is even better at interior design and landscaping.

28-06-2011
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
She will only be remembered as a b*tch - a person so mean that en entire movie was dedicated to her being insufferable and rude.
hilarious! POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK!

yeah yeah just skip the movies will be dedicated part

*gasps for breath* i nearly died laughing there.

while alaia may be a great designer, his bold declarations about anna's legacy reeks of bitterness imo. same goes for his statements re karl. too bad for someone who thinks he is more talented than the next person only to find the latter more successful than he will ever be. and anna made fashion more accessible to a broader audience, how is that not a feat. lol!

Last edited by IAmLordZen; 28-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.
28-06-2011
MON
V.I.P.

I admire his honesty but he should know how to stop. Not because a magazine doesn`t feature him, he`ll bash it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alaďa, anna, azzedine, karl, lagerfeld, slams, wintour