How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
28-06-2011
  46
V.I.P.
 
ponytrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rabbit Hole
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,565
I was always such a fan of Alaia, and of course I still adore his clothing.

But this is in such poor taste, and to be honest, says a lot more about him than it does about either Karl or Anna.

I'm disappointed by the way his remarks just go too far as to be bitter and vulgar. Had he legitimate criticism and clarity of insight, then it wouldn't be so bad, but as it is, he seems to just be throwing stones at others and making himself look like a bitter (superficial even!) old man in the process.

And I wonder if the posters who crow about the so-called separation between fashion and business ever stop to think about the fact that fashion is nothing without commerce? That it is absurdly ridiculous to speak of fashion as a reverent art form divorced from the contaminating forces of money. Puh-leeze.

We wouldn't get the beautiful couture, the amazing artistry, and the space for the production of great creativity and vision - without fashion being very much about business - it's an industry for crissakes.

Like Anna as a person or not, critique her sartorial choices all you like, none of that matters an ounce in relation to the undeniable force of her role in very successfully marketing fashion, managing US Vogue, and creating a huge amount of business (and by proxy, creative) opportunities for designers.

To dismiss her as irrelevant, or to say she is not good at her job would be to evince great ignorance and naivety toward how the real fashion world works.

__________________
World enough and time...
  Reply With Quote
 
28-06-2011
  47
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrot View Post

To dismiss her as irrelevant, or to say she is not good at her job would be to evince great ignorance and naivety toward how the real fashion world works.
I think it's a matter of how it works now - he's not pleased with the hard line corporate way. Honestly, I don't know how anyone who really likes creativity could be.

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  48
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamss View Post
anna didn't do all that for american vogue, the ppl before her did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you serious?! Wintour saved Vogue, why do you think she was brought in to replace Mirabella! Because of $, and the fact it was stuck in a beige phase! And boy did she deliver, Vogue was being beaten by ELLE like there is no tomorrow! So no, people before her did do all the hard work for her (i'm talking about finance side of the magazine). Sure you can argue it was more creative or whatever, but at the end of the day, its still about money! And she made Vogue into a brand Conde Nast always dreamed it could be.

The point i agree with him is when he says, she is more of a businesses woman, i have been saying that all along. But to say she wont be remembered once she is gone is laughable!

She has also nurtured many talents (Marc Jacobs, John Galliano.etc), so to say otherwise is just wrong. From CFDA to the Met, she has helped raise millions upon millions. She is good not just for Vogue, but for fashion, imho.

All that said, i do hate some of her choices many times, but i also recognize how capable she is.

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  49
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Are you serious?! Wintour saved Vogue, why do you think she was brought in to replace Mirabella! Because of $, and the fact it was stuck in a beige phase! And boy did she deliver, Vogue was being beaten by ELLE like there is no tomorrow!
Yay, what a victory - finally, Vogue rid itself of most of its artistic sense and stooped down to Elle's level.

Beige. Yeah. Halston loved beige. Enough said...

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  50
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,697
^ Well that is your opinion, i certainly don't think Vogue has stooped down to Elle's level, in fact it has been doing pretty great lately. Even when i look at other Vogues, they all lack creativity to some extent.

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  51
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gender: femme
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Yay, what a victory - finally, Vogue rid itself of most of its artistic sense and stooped down to Elle's level.

Beige. Yeah. Halston loved beige. Enough said...

"Elle" back then was quite good, IMHO. It was much more fashion than lifestyle oriented like Vogue under Mirabella. If AW did anything in the "Elle" mode for Vogue, she youth'd it up a bit. It still kept most of it's lifestyle orientation.

I think Vogue had pretty much given up on artistic after Vreeland left!

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  52
backstage pass
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: all around
Gender: homme
Posts: 659
"Elle is also the world's largest fashion magazine." Not my words. Vogue has/had nothing on Elle! Except for it being less commercial. American vogue is as commercial as Elle anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  53
fashion icon
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,161
Azzedine's exact words about Karl were, "Karl Lagerfeld never touched a pair of scissors in his life." Meaning neither now nor at any point in his fashion career. He didn't say, "Karl doesn't cut fabric in the frenetic fashion world of 2011." The aging Coco Chanel herself had a similar view of young designers, going as far as to say, "They only know how to sketch but don't know how to cut fabric."

And, Diana Vreeland's name ALWAYS gets mentioned whenever people speak of iconic issues of Vogue from the 60s. It's as if the iconic quality of those issues is attributable to HER. Now think of Vogue's 100th anniversary issue from 1992. That issue is considered iconic because of its cover stars (the supers) and NOT because of Vogue's editor-in-chief. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who'll even mention Anna Wintour's name when speaking of that issue.

Probably the one thing that Anna will be best remembered for is her never-changing ugly hairstyle.

  Reply With Quote
29-06-2011
  54
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
^ Well that is your opinion, i certainly don't think Vogue has stooped down to Elle's level, in fact it has been doing pretty great lately. Even when i look at other Vogues, they all lack creativity to some extent.
Yeah, it has been great lately. But the idea that it got better after Mirabella I disagree with.

  Reply With Quote
29-06-2011
  55
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie View Post
"Elle" back then was quite good, IMHO. It was much more fashion than lifestyle oriented like Vogue under Mirabella. If AW did anything in the "Elle" mode for Vogue, she youth'd it up a bit. It still kept most of it's lifestyle orientation.

I think Vogue had pretty much given up on artistic after Vreeland left!
Vogue by Mirabella had a weak period between late 1983 and 1985. After that she was back on track again, perhaps talking a little too much of health issues...

I don't know if Vogue gave up on artistic after Vreeland left - some of the very best issues of the mag are from the 70s, under Grace Mirabella. What they had given up on was lavish and insane trips.

So I can see what Alaia means - AW has a sense for perfection, but she will let things into her mag that are far more lifeless and boring than anything Mirabella or Vreeland ever ok'ed. Again, it has gotten so much better lately I wonder if AW is letting her daughter do some of her work. Also, AW has a more interesting persona than Grace Mirabella, almost on par with Diana Vreeland. That actually does help a bit to create that sense of excitement and fashion, as much as I hate to admit it.


Last edited by iluvjeisa; 29-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
01-07-2011
  56
backstage pass
 
Niusity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Gender: femme
Posts: 648
Agree on Anna, well not on everything but there is a part of truth.

  Reply With Quote
08-07-2011
  57
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tbilisi
Gender: homme
Posts: 17,865
Continuation...

Quote:
Anna Wintour Banned Entire Vogue Staff From Alaia Couture Show

The devil may wear Prada, but she wouldn’t be caught dead in Alaia. Not only did Anna Wintour go to the Harry Potter premiere instead of the Azzedine Alaia show yesterday, she forbade the entire Vogue staff from attending the designer’s Paris show.

While Arizona Muse and Karlie Kloss walked the runway for Alaia, Anna Wintour jetted to London for the Harry Potter 7 premiere with stylish Burberry-clad niece, Ellie Wintour.

(Speaking of which, we just have to point out that Anna totally pulled a Kate Middleton here and recycled her Webby award dress on the red carpet yesterday — the Webby award she just so happened to receive from HP star Daniel Radcliffe! Meta.)

It’s no secret that the Wintour and the Tunisian-born Alaia are anything but friends. The feud started in 2009 when Alaia was not featured in Wintour’s “Model As A Muse” exhibit at the Met. Last week, tensions got tenser when Alaia told The New York Times that Wintour has no taste.
Even if Anna hadn’t banned her whole staff, apparently Alaia didn’t invite anyone associated with the editor or her magazine to his show. Alaia said last month of Wintour, “She hasn’t photographed my work in years even if I am a best seller in the U.S. and I have 140 square meters at Barneys. American women love me; I don’t need her support at all.”

We get that there’s bad blood between Wintour and Alaia, but banning the entire Vogue staff from attending the show? That seems a little extreme on both the editor and the designer’s parts. Regardless, it’s Wintour’s loss, because Alaia’s fall collection was really worth seeing.
styleite.com

  Reply With Quote
08-07-2011
  58
V.I.P.
 
fantastical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: the moon
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,166
HA! I love fashion drama

  Reply With Quote
10-07-2011
  59
I don't know
 
saann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,115
I agree with Alaia's thoughts regarding Wintour and fashion but this whole ordeal is so immature, from both of them. From Wintour for disregarding one of the most influential designers living because of petty fights and from Alaia for being unprofessional and calling her out on it.

They're both behaving like children, though I do find it nice to see someone calling Anna out on her work. She's been influential yes, but I don't personally find her very healthy for the fashion system I like.

I tend to view Vogue US more as a lifestyle magazine than a fashion one, it's too redundant.

  Reply With Quote
10-07-2011
  60
backstage pass
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: all around
Gender: homme
Posts: 659
God bless Alaia! Someone needed to put anna at her place. She probably thinks she's the beginning and end of fashion!
Posted via Mobile Device

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alaïa, anna, azzedine, karl, lagerfeld, slams, wintour
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.