How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2011
trendsetter

It's still plain weird seeing the dark shadows behind the 'glamourous fashion world'.

03-03-2011
fashion insider

Well, this is shocking news, ok Balmain needs a change, but not by this situation

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

the pressure and stress these designers are under every season is a good reason for them to be loosing grip on their own lives.
with success comes a lot of problems, in this case mostly health problems.
very sad for Christophe indeed. if he s been gone since january then it must be something serious

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

another fashion casualty.... he never seemed stable to me.... from what i heard extremely self obsessed with a big hint of arrogance...as soon as balmain rose back to fame...
mental illnesses are not to be joked with and i am glad he seeked help already. hope he recovers...
just makes me sad how this industry is crumbling down

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
03-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaM View Post
Maybe Galliano was the start to showing how all these designers have been struggling behind closed doors.
Then Galliano's a prophet !

V.I.P.

Ugh, I feel bad that Decarnin's personal medical issue has been exposed, at least with Galliano he acted out in public. @ TPTB not doing a better job handling communications regarding this matter. I wish Mr. Decarnin the best when it comes to getting well.

Last edited by agee; 03-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.
03-03-2011
V.I.P.

Vanity Fair is writing the expose on all this dramz as we speak (hopefully) -- fashion week gossip hasn't been this openly scandalous in years. And usually it just involved a model getting arrested or beating someone up.

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

No wonder why F/W collection was a dissapointment

fashion insider

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of the fashion industry's mess coming to light. Holy sh*t!

fashion elite

^ I do think we may be on the verge of all the secrets seething beneath the surface to come to light.

It's really unfortunate that Decarnin has health issues. I however, do not think its something to be 'ashamed' of that the publicists to make something up if that is that case. The arts have always been known to have artists struggling with their various demons.

03-03-2011
Making a Mess

Wow did not see this coming at all.

Really sad news. Like others have mentioned here mental illnesses/disorders are not to be taken lightly. I'm glad he sought help.

V.I.P.

im not trying to be mean, but he always came across as a guy with issues.
i guess he had them.

get well.

04-03-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

except for those with outsized personalities -- think tom ford, miuccia prada, karl lagerfeld, etc -- the world of fashion remains quite a taxing one. it's why the leaders in industry have such infamous reputations surrounding them. these people make themselves easy targets for mental illness and substance abuse because they offer up something so personal and deep from within themselves only to have people either write it off as "not good enough" or "seen it before." the pressures in designing on this level remain too much for the average person to endure. most people don't have the weight of millions of dollars in sales and the livelihoods of hundreds depending on their creative whim. and while it's easy for us in the blogosphere to just denigrate every collection that comes out, one must realize that this stuff does take a personal toll.

decarnin always appeared fragile from the start. in every profile i've read or heard about him, he never put himself out there publicly in a way like marc jacobs or stella mccartney or any other. he expressed himself through his work. and for that work to get such rough reception even as it sells spectacularly has to only add to whatever conflict he had going on internally.

with that said, i seriously doubt that the real story is nearly as tidy as the snippets of gossip we have received. we saw balmain hit a creative high last fall/winter and fall quite spectacularly come spring/summer. i suspect the behind the scenes pressures to re-create some of balmain's blockbuster seasons may have come into play here.

V.I.P.

Quote:
It's really unfortunate that Decarnin has health issues. I however, do not think its something to be 'ashamed' of that the publicists to make something up if that is that case. The arts have always been known to have artists struggling with their various demons.
I completely agree that mental health issues are not something to be ashamed of, but I do think that it is a private matter and it is the prerogative of the person in question when and if to make the matter public, especially if there was no acting out in public as was the case with Galliano.

04-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplethistle View Post
^ I do think we may be on the verge of all the secrets seething beneath the surface to come to light.
About time too. Yes designers are there to make a business work but they are there for their creativity and we all know how fragile that state of mind can be. In my ideal world there would be a refocus on a balance between creativity and business because for too long the likes of LVMH have been sucking up designers to churn out profitable collections with little regard for the human nature of the industry.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balmain, christophe, decarnin, hospital, left, mental, officially, update