How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2010
V.I.P.

^I'm literally nauseous. Why is she being linked to all my celeb crushes? First Ryan Gosling and now my precious Leo.

04-11-2010
fashion elite

^maybe because she is a candidate for the All-American-Way-Of-Life-Sweetheart-Beauty-Contest! Though she is the total opposite lookwise to Julia Roberts I get the same type of hype buzzing around with her....it's like Julia Roberts after Pretty Woman or something....

Blake is tall, she is blonde, she is gorgeous - has a big smile, could be a fashion-doll so the fashion industry is also interested in her and though a 'typical blonde' she has a unique look thanks to her eyes I believe - because she does not have a standard face and it's a bit different with those rather longish eyes, different chin etc.

she has a 100%-recognition-identification-factor which is absolutely important in HW and to be good for marketing...she won't get confused with any other actress..
and she is 'new' so directors might be intersted because of that as well

we'll see what she makes out of that as other members mentioned I neither regard her a as a good actress so far...she does not strike me as a very talented one - but hey, maybe she'll improve...

trendsetter

TBH, I don't get all this hype about Blake. To some extent, I can understand why Wintour digs her - neck down she's gorgeous - but I don't see why Hollywood seems so interested in her. Talent clearly isn't her claim to fame, and I dunno if it's just me, but I just don't find her beautiful either. The same face on a 5'4 frame would look plain and forgettable. There's something off about the planes of her face and her features which veers her miles away from the bracket of beauty. Coupled with that her horrible dialogue delivery. I really REALLY don't see what appeal lies in her and would be staggered if she ends up being the next big thing.

04-11-2010
fashion icon

I actually saw Blake Lively in the movie 'Elvis & Anabelle" and I actually thought she was amazing in that. Before that, I thought she was a bit one-note in Gossip Girl, but I think it's more to do with the actual character of Serena who doesn't really have any bite. The Blair character has so much more you can do with it - Leighton is really great in it.

It's the whole Rachel Bilson v Mischa Barton thing. Mischa Barton was a really great child actress, it's just Marissa as a character was so blah, whereas Summer was more interesting - it wasn't that Rachel Bilson was necessarily a better actress. Not that it matters now, because both of their film careers have gone to nowheresville.

06-11-2010
V.I.P.

I'd be surprised if Blake was a casting couch success...she seems really square, if you don't count how brazen she is showing her body off.

08-11-2010
trendsetter

Ok, I'm late but I just found out about their split!
I'm not going to comment on why they might have split but I thought they were such a cute couple. I always loved pics of them together. And I kinda liked the fact that Blake - rising star - was together with Penn - someone obviously less famous than her -.
So, I'm sad . They were so adorable together.

23-11-2010
V.I.P.

"update" from Lainey:
Quote:
Also re: her love life – she’s supposedly done with Penn Badgley but he’s been seen quite often lately in and out of her building (thanks AG!). Her break up with him barely mattered the way she wanted it to. What now?

backstage pass

Question: Why do people on here constantly quote Lainey Gossip? She's a female Perez Hilton. I mean seriously!

Anyways, pictures or it didn't happen.

End of.

V.I.P.

IMO, she tends to get "info" (which in most cases tends to be right), while Perez is only commenting about stuff (long time ago he had exclusives). also, this is rumor has it podforum, so i think it's fine to post rumors, no?

tfs star

The thing that makes people wonder if Blake does the casting couch is because she went from CW-actress to being considered for roles amongst very established actresses (Rachel Weisz, Carey Mulligan, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman) in huge films like Batman 3, Gravity, and Gatsby while not really having anything in her resume that proves she can carry/sell a film or has solid acting skills. Every time her name is mentioned as considered for one of those roles, everyone does a big 'WTF' because she just doesn't fit alongside all the other actresses.

So the assumption is 1. casting couch; 2. she's not really being considered but her PR agency is paying people to include her in those rumors to build up her acting rep; 3. connections that are pulling strings to get her auditions (Weinstein/family).

Her split with Penn was probably the same thing as Megan Fox's split with Brian Austin Green. PR-orchestrated to get her name in the press.

24-11-2010
backstage pass

^So you're saying Penn and Blake didn't really break up?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
TBH, I don't get all this hype about Blake. To some extent, I can understand why Wintour digs her - neck down she's gorgeous - but I don't see why Hollywood seems so interested in her. Talent clearly isn't her claim to fame, and I dunno if it's just me, but I just don't find her beautiful either. The same face on a 5'4 frame would look plain and forgettable. There's something off about the planes of her face and her features which veers her miles away from the bracket of beauty. Coupled with that her horrible dialogue delivery. I really REALLY don't see what appeal lies in her and would be staggered if she ends up being the next big thing.
Completely agree

25-11-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroliiine View Post
The thing that makes people wonder if Blake does

2. she's not really being considered but her PR agency is paying people to include her in those rumors to build up her acting rep;
That's actually a big part of it. She uses a super agressive PR firm, and they were super smart in building up a profile for her through fashion and linking her to high profile stuff, even when it wasn't the case.
People also underrestimate her luck and how smart her career choices have been so far - her first movie was a hit, her TV show is talked about by the right people, which is more important than ratings in itself in a lot of ways, working on that indie with Rebecca Miller gave her help with getting The Town, and that movie's success (and her being praised in it) has gotten her a few auditions.

She actually hasn't accomplished anything that incredible, but her PR firm does a great job in keeping her name out there, so a lot of people get confused and assume she's more successful than she actually is.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
badgley, blake, lively, penn, split