How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2010
V.I.P.

the floodgates have opened with that Racked article and sadly all the allegations ring true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I think these are good points. I actually disagree with the unsourced commenter in the Racked article who stated that "Carine should never have been appointed editor-in-chief—just fashion director, [she] is only a stylist, not a politician or a writer." Carine Roitfeld is a fashion visionary, probably the best one of the last generation or two in the publishing part of fashion, but I would be the first to say that she can go overboard sometimes, but the answer is not to remove her or not put her in the EIC chair, rather it is to "manage" her by either appointing a more business and protocol savvy lieutenant or have her answer to or be monitored by someone at corporate with those characteristics (although this is water under the bridge and years too late when it comes to VP).
idunno about managing Carine. she already manages a whole team of stylists and creatives bursting with her fashion sense, with her established direction, it doesn't make sense to appoint an editor for an editor-in-chief. she is indeed a fashion visionary but you can only push fashion too much if you were given the EIC position (which is why i support the article's quoted statement that she should never have been EIC in the first place); you need to retain your business acumen since all the underlying deals in fashion's publishing industry revolve around money, and when you ruffle Arnault's feathers you clearly aren't doing a good job on it. the Racked article is spot on, her team had way too many blunders under her leadership and if you are to cause scandal in the industry then the EIC position clearly isn't suited for you as there is almost no room for error allowed in her position.

Quote:
It’s been an incredible adventure, but maybe in my heart and soul, I am more of a freelancer. I’m surprised I even stuck it out this long, but what made me stay is having a boss like Jonathan [Newhouse], who is an incredible man who gave me total freedom, and God knows I pushed the boundaries.
too true Carine.

20-12-2010
fashion insider

So no Oliver Zahm?
I hope Vogue Paris doesnt lose its shock and provocative identity, it would be so sad

20-12-2010
V.I.P.

This isn't getting that juicy for me .. they're just listing the series of sketchy moves she pulled this year and that everyone knew, and they're forgetting to add that she pretty much kicked Peachoo + Krejberg out of the PFW schedule in favor of Hakaan.. and possibly with a good 'help' from the Chambre Syndicale.
I don't know, I would say her only fault is being awfully indiscreet/unprofessional but the fact that friends come first and advertisers come second for someone with a job that involves so many financial responsibilities, she was just inadequate for it.. and ultimately it's not just good for CN to 'let' her go but also for herself, for her own reputation..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Is this the first time we're hearing about the Hakaan controversy or is this old news?
There was some info on it during the shows season. Click here.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgrenateD View Post
the floodgates have opened with that Racked article and sadly all the allegations ring true.
idunno about managing Carine. she already manages a whole team of stylists and creatives bursting with her fashion sense, with her established direction, it doesn't make sense to appoint an editor for an editor-in-chief. she is indeed a fashion visionary but you can only push fashion too much if you were given the EIC position (which is why i support the article's quoted statement that she should never have been EIC in the first place); you need to retain your business acumen since all the underlying deals in fashion's publishing industry revolve around money, and when you ruffle Arnault's feathers you clearly aren't doing a good job on it. the Racked article is spot on, her team had way too many blunders under her leadership and if you are to cause scandal in the industry then the EIC position clearly isn't suited for you as there is almost no room for error allowed in her position.
But this is like asserting that visionaries like Bill Gates and Steven Jobs can't be CEOs of their companies because while they can create technology that revolutionizes life as we know it, they don't know how to deal with Wall Street, the SEC, FTC, et. al., and therefore let's give the top position to a bean-counter or attorney who knows how to do those kinds of things, although come to think of it that actually did happen to Jobs, but look at him now.

Unless Carine was (is) too stupid and / or arrogant to listen and heed direction / advice given by someone who may be subordinate to her on paper but is there to look out for the overall interest of the organization while she does her fashion visionary thing, she should be the one with the top title, that is not unheard of and happens in companies where CFOs, Chief Counsel and others are checks to the the president / CEO.

20-12-2010
rising star

all so true, however incredilbly talented she is, she used her position to line her pockets with side deals. not only consulting for brands, but also supposedly getting back handers from agents to allow photographers/stylists to shoot for VP. corrupt.

20-12-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Romatet, who revealed recently that the group would launch a new magazine in France in 2012, is said to be pushing editors to feature more timeless fashion
...ie more commercial fashion.

20-12-2010
V.I.P.

Knowing the editor behind the website Racked.com I would have
to somewhat believe this is very true, or at least possibly a reason behind this.

20-12-2010
fashion icon

Conde Naste is stupid to give so much power to EIC. They seriously need to investigate all their fashion titles and where the money goes. I often wonder how assistants can afford 12,000 Balmain attire. Isn't it unethical for staff to accept "gifts" from companies in exchange for features? Why do mid-level assistants need to be flown front row to Paris Fashion Week or any fashion week that requires expensive travels from another continent? The extravagant lifestyles make me think most magazines are rife with waste.

Last edited by loladonna; 20-12-2010 at 02:55 PM.
20-12-2010
Looking Up

Quote:
The fashion world was sent reeling last Friday when news broke that Carine Roitfeld would leave French Vogue after serving as the mag’s editor for the past 10 years.

After recovering from the shock, speculations began as to whom would succeed Roitfeld (fashion director Emmanuelle Alt seems to be the front runner but we assembled a list of our fantasy picks), and what Roitfeld would do next.

Though Roitfeld told Cathy Horyn at the New York Times that she has “no plan at all” after she steps down in the coming weeks, industry insiders began speculating that she might return to Tom Ford. Which would make sense given their close relationship–Carine served as Ford’s muse and stylist while he was at Gucci in the ’90s and helped propel the brand to success, Ford just launched his own women’s collection, and most recently, he guest-edited French Vogue (an issue Roitfeld styled).

Alas, no such reunion is in the cards (yet).

“Carine and I have no plans to work together at the moment, and it is nothing that we have even discussed, but of course I think she is brilliant and we are close friends so who knows about the future,” Ford told the New York Times. And today Roitfeld confirmed to WWD, “I’m not announcing that I am leaving for a new job with a magazine or as a consultant for a large luxury brand.”
fashionista

20-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
But this is like asserting that visionaries like Bill Gates and Steven Jobs can't be CEOs of their companies because while they can create technology that revolutionizes life as we know it
and this is like asserting that all businessmen are the same :p it's just sink or swim for these people, some become successful and some fail miserably. when it comes to managing business however impersonal it may seem, it is all personal, and Carine just might have lacked the skills (or control) to keep her head afloat amidst all the hubbub. she drove her bandwagon of a creative team rampaging across printwork with all their visionary ideas yet she didn't know when to press the break.

fashion elite

to me, vp is definitely my favorite vogue bc it has an its own identity. it pushes the envelope to different frontiers. i guess all that due to one person, carine. she has a clear vision and lots of guts to make her vision become reality.

its unfortunate that politics play a huge role in the world of fashion. we all know politics suck away needed creativities from the world of fashion. but its understandable bc we all know money talk....bottom line.

people are heavy criticized carine for giving favour to watever she likes_designers or models in particular. i have to give credit to carine for standing up to her taste. she can't please everyone.

carine is a woman with a clear vision and i applaud her for that. it sucks that she has to leave due to some scandalous fall out with LVHM.

when u have a bank account full of cash like LVHM, u can be a bully anytime u want.

20-12-2010
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
Word on the street is that Anna Wintour doesn't even read American Vogue's articles
Now I don't feel so bad for rarely reading their articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
to me, vp is definitely my favorite vogue bc it has an its own identity.
But every edition of Vogue has it's own identity and (more or less) unique outlook.

I'm kind of getting bored of all this Carine drama already. I can't wait to know who her replacement is and see how that turns out.

Last edited by blueorchid; 20-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.
20-12-2010
don't look down

Remembering the magazine under Joan Juliet Buck, and then seeing it through the Carine years, I can't wait for another new phase to begin. It's the big unknown.

backstage pass

I'm confused... why does Anna need to read all the articles in Vogue... An Editor in Chief is just that, the Chief editor. There are various other editors who those tasks are deligated to. This also should be applicable to the editorials. You higher a fashion editor or creative director to do them and while you do edit... you should hire someone you feel is capable so you don't style every shoot. Sadly with Vogue Paris, I don't think that Carine was very good at delegating the tasks because she has a passion for styling.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alt, carine, editorinchief, emmanuelle, leaves, named, paris, roitfeld, update, vogue