How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-12-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
^^ Noooooooo!!! I don't want to see celebs on VP covers. It's enough to see them in US and British Vogue. For me VP and VI are great, because they DON'T use celebrities. And if they do, they choose well. No crap, just beautiful stories.

The worst part of this is, that probably magazine will be changed. And probably not in a good way. I'm tired of all those conservative mags, that don't deliver any emotions. VP was outstanding. And I will miss that for sure.
This has always been an interesting objection to me.

Online, I constantly read fashion followers complaining of too many celebrities being on the covers of fashion magazines; even the "letters to the editors" in magazines like US Vogue will occasionally publish a reader sharing said sentiments. But if so many people are desperate to see models on covers, then why are model cover issues the worst selling? Why do stale, beige stars like Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Anniston consistently sell magazines?

Fact of the matter is, the magazine industry has to roll with the punches and change with the times. A magazine like Vogue Paris is massive and has to sell- that means to clothes whores and middle class moms alike. It's not Love or i-D; the stakes are a lot higher. I wouldn't be surprised at all if, years from now, envelope pushing, challenging fashion is pushed to the margins (namely independent magazines) while the high fashion rags turn into Cosmo with higher fashion and without all the sex tips. Until then... we'll always have Italia, right?

(Of course, this could all just be hyperbolic and presumptive, the new VP editor could be just as rock and roll as Carine, and everyone will be as happy, naked, oiled up and Terry Richardson-shot as ever)

24-12-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

^perhaps models on the cover appeal more to the subscriber crowd where celebrities grab the newsstand crowd better. as much as people complain, i do believe american vogue has achieved a balance in the type of celebrities it chooses to place on its cover. i believe vogue paris could do the same. there exist many celebrities who have selling power, but could present the right amount of edge to satisfy the core vogue paris crowd.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
I remember Franca Sozzani mentioned in interview with Aliona Doletskaya that Vogue Italia is one of the best-selling Vogue's and especially in New-York it's best selling foreign magazine (not only among fashion titles)
Hmmm.... that would explain the stack of at least 12 Vogue Italia November issues I saw at the Barnes and Noble on Fifth and 45th St. about a month ago. The same store only had 3 or 4 issues of Vogue Paris on sale. I found it quite peculiar.

DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
^ Yes but sadly I think Julia will continue to show up meaninglessly.
you think?
This is a bit like the banker's wife who, after her husband's firm goes bankrupt 'inexplicably' misses her place on the MoMA board of trustees (Desperate Lehman Housewives anyone?)

Front rows are 'expensive' seats for every label's PR so I wonder for how long they will be able to give them away to the Roitfelds if that offers no return for the brand whatsoever.

I mean, Carine will continue to be influential, but she probably won't be as widely powerful if she starts working for a specific brand or group of brands.
From her throne at vogue, her control span was much wider, let alone her negotiating power... so i wonder what will happen to Julia or Vlad (both seemed to be successful at art dealing and whatever-it-is julia does).

25-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
^perhaps models on the cover appeal more to the subscriber crowd where celebrities grab the newsstand crowd better. as much as people complain, i do believe american vogue has achieved a balance in the type of celebrities it chooses to place on its cover. i believe vogue paris could do the same. there exist many celebrities who have selling power, but could present the right amount of edge to satisfy the core vogue paris crowd.
exactly, I'm talking about that balance that is missing in the issues of vogue paris. It is actually more fun to see an "interesting" celeb at the cover from time to time than an "empty" model "without history", just chosen for her physical features. and seeing kate moss again on the cover of vp makes everyone throw up a little...

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
exactly, I'm talking about that balance that is missing in the issues of vogue paris. It is actually more fun to see an "interesting" celeb at the cover from time to time than an "empty" model "without history", just chosen for her physical features. and seeing kate moss again on the cover of vp makes everyone throw up a little...
I cannot image nothing worse for VP than having celebs on the cover. Simply awful. I prefer someone blank that I can project whatever I want, than seeing celebs in their endless advertising quest. I bought VP exactly because it was a little haven without celebs but it was still a "popular" mag, not totally disconnected from reality like Vogue Italia or most pretentious fashion mags that feature models only on the cover.
That for me was Carine's winning formula, and I will be sorry when she leaves because i doubt anyone will be able to keep that same perfect balance. I simply loved the mixture of high and low brow.

26-12-2010
V.I.P.

How did I only just find out about this?!

26-12-2010
DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
How did I only just find out about this?!
you don't tweet, do you?
it's been madness in the 'twitterverse' with people either crying of anger, or happy, or depressed, or spreading around rumors as #vogueleaks (no wait! the latter was just me i think :p )

Last edited by Dkammern; 26-12-2010 at 11:09 AM.
26-12-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
I cannot image nothing worse for VP than having celebs on the cover. Simply awful.

Really? A celebrity on the cover is worse than poor content or bad editorials?

I am endlessly amused at all the fuss over whether the pretty woman on the cover of the magazine answers to the title of model or actress. Maybe magazines should come without covers then people would be forced to measure the quality based on actual content.

26-12-2010
V.I.P.

why is everyone talking like VP never had any celebrities on its covers?.. hmm, this is the same magazine that had Paris Hilton on the cover. Seriously get real, it's not some elitist little corner with strong principles and ideas on fashion, it's like every other Vogue, if I had to compare it, it's actually on the exact same league as US Vogue... where US Vogue errs on puritanism and overpushes mediocre designers, the same models and same concepts.. there's Vogue Paris doing the same, except waving out the flag that just because their models are not wearing Thankoon and instead, are actually naked on the same frequency 'Grace Kelly inspiration' is featured in US Vogue, they're suddenly the antithesis to what US Vogue is. And truth is, they're not, they're both awfully constipated, short-sighted, one-track-minded publications. And they both whore out the same awful designers (from post-2006 Marant to mediocre J.Mendel) and only occasionally feature actual creators like Ann or Yohji.. and they both do it in the exact same gimmicky, you-could-never-wear-something-like-this manner.
If anything, at least I've noticed US Vogue makes features on people like Limi or Chitose Abe from time to time.. designers that are highly independent to the point they won't even advertise and are lightyears away from handing their line to the EIC of a magazine so she can 'style' it and channel it through her magazine's aesthetic (the way Marant did with VP)..

The way I see it, Vogue Paris just tends to be more accepted thanks to the slightly stereotypical French conception of fashion.. whereas US Vogue conveys what's annoying about the American understanding of fashion.. obviously that's bound to have some fans and enemies. But if you're a fan of none and can see past these two cultural barriers, you will see they're both just as restrained by self-imposed concepts... and they are both extremely unimpressive.

Last edited by MulletProof; 26-12-2010 at 03:32 PM.
26-12-2010
V.I.P.

^ well said

I'm very much looking forward to the first issue under a new EIC...

Last edited by style_expert; 26-12-2010 at 05:13 PM.
26-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
I remember Franca Sozzani mentioned in interview with Aliona Doletskaya that Vogue Italia is one of the best-selling Vogue's and especially in New-York it's best selling foreign magazine (not only among fashion titles)
This makes perfect sense -- I remember when they did that issue celebrating black women, it sold out in America.

27-12-2010
V.I.P.

^well of course, everything with a black person on the cover sells out in america.

V.I.P.

I don't recall my source, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but I thought that VI is not one of Conde Nast's top sellers, which makes sense because Italy is not a big country and Italian is not a wide-spread language. However, that does not contradict other's comments that it is one of the best selling foreign language magazines in certain places because if someone is going to buy something written in a foreign language, a magazine that is mostly pictures makes sense.

27-12-2010
backstage pass

I'm confused... hasn't it ben a week since this has come out... why is this coversation persisting if nothing new has come out?

By the way @kknardi you're wrong. If anything with a black person would sell out in America, trust and believe that there would be a black on every American Vogue cover. Anna knows what sells and it's not black girls on the covers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alt, carine, editorinchief, emmanuelle, leaves, named, paris, roitfeld, update, vogue