How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-12-2010
DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I don't recall my source, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but I thought that VI is not one of Conde Nast's top sellers, which makes sense because Italy is not a big country and Italian is not a wide-spread language. However, that does not contradict other's comments that it is one of the best selling foreign language magazines in certain places because if someone is going to buy something written in a foreign language, a magazine that is mostly pictures makes sense.
i think the bolded part is what Franca meant actually. As you say it does make sense. you just have to look at VI covers... the headlines is sure not what people buy the magazine for

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
I'm confused... hasn't it ben a week since this has come out... why is this coversation persisting if nothing new has come out?
1) this is tFS! conversations can go on for ages without anything new happening... I mean, classic Hermčs bags get pages and pages of comments, and it's most of the time nothing that hasn't been said before, hmm?

Quote:
By the way @kknardi you're wrong. If anything with a black person would sell out in America, trust and believe that there would be a black on every American Vogue cover. Anna knows what sells and it's not black girls on the covers.
2) sad but true... or kind of. Anna must know pretty well that a black girl on every cover wouldnt be the best for sales. But if it's vogue paris doing it (or vogue USA sadly doing it once every seventeen years) those do sell well as something exceptional. It's the balance that makes the equation work, and the sales rocket.
(btw, even if my comment sounds like a harsh critique for Anna, one must credit her for putting a black model on her first ever september issue. that was anything but conservative back in the 80s, no? I only wish she could've kept up with the 'balance' in a different way)

28-12-2010
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I don't recall my source, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but I thought that VI is not one of Conde Nast's top sellers, which makes sense because Italy is not a big country and Italian is not a wide-spread language.
I was always under that impression as well. Hmmm I did a Google search for the circulation rates for Vogue Italia out of curiosity and, as usual, I ended up back here (although I'm not sure what their sources are ).

28-12-2010
backstage pass

I was saddened - if not surprised - by the news of Carine's resignation. There have been many interviews over the years in which she has spoken of her freelance spirit and not wanting to remain with the magazine for more than a decade.

Whilst exciting gossip of a mise ą pied prevails, however, it's far less newsworthy to think that Roitfeld simply bowed out - as she said she would - in her tenth year of service.

Despite not being able to read more than a cluster of words, I have bought Paris Vogue for the best part of seven years. Roitfeld's aesthetic is the most bold, visceral of any editor and the magazine has - under her direction - fearlessly imploded taboos and explored the boundaries of morality and fashion.

It will be interesting to see what she does next and if - as the rumour mill suggests - Paris Vogue's loss will prove to be Tom Ford's gain...

backstage pass

@dkammern I think I only get really annoyed when people just repeat what others have said and make it crystal clear they haven't read the rest of the thread :/ makes me regret chiming in early.

28-12-2010
Looking Up

^ Actually, I think it's better because you get people's initial raw reactions before they read others' opinions.
It's interesting really, some people are so glad Carine's left, yet others are practically holding a funeral for Vogue Paris.

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

so any news on who will replace her?

28-12-2010
Looking Up

^ Just rumours. I'm actually more interested in what Carine will be doing in the future. She may not be the best Editor in Chief, but she's one hell of a stylist, so it would be interesting to see her carry out that role more fully I think.

28-12-2010
DŌMMkammern

^^ and some "public" role i hope that is.
public as in something that isnt completely behind (corporate) closed doors. i want her work, whether it's bad or good, to be visible

28-12-2010
DŌMMkammern

btw, am I the only one who is excited about menswear and couture week just to see all the rumors flying around?!?! #vogueleaks! hehe
speculation on why she left, people following Newhouse to see who he is meeting with to replace Carine...

if she is editing the march issue, she will still have to shoot couture et al, no? we havent seen her swan song yet!!

28-12-2010
Looking Up

^ Nope, you're not I wanna see who will be in "Carine's seat" front row at menswear fashion week and Haute Couture. The rumours are gonna be vicious!

28-12-2010
fashion insider

Did she already leave Vogue? or when is she suppose to leave.... I don't want some silly editor at VP, its needs somebody super vulgar. Vogue Hommes Japan needs more vulgarity as well.

28-12-2010
Looking Up

^ The Feb issue is her last I think, after that it's Sayonara. Emanuelle Alt is currently the best guess for the majority, though she's probably even worse than Carine. If Carine couldn't do please Conde Nast then Em won't either. And I hope they don't get some lame half-as$ writer like Lucinda Chambers. Her writing is so mediocre, if that.

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Ever since this news about her resignation broke out, I've been wondering, what if she starts her own magazine title? I don't wanna compare her to Katie Grand when she left POP and started her own title which is LOVE. It's just that, it could be a possibility for Carine, 'no?

DŌMMkammern

^^ Grand makes sense. also considering that "started her own title" is more accurately "conde nast promised her a new title if she quit POP, so they could prepare her for a bigger book of theirs" (or so i've heard )

no way emmanuelle is taking it. that's what (some) fashionistas want, not mr. Newhouse

29-12-2010
V.I.P.

Random musings:
There was internet blather that Grace Coddington is close to retirement and if there is merit to that, then I say give her the EIC job for both solid business reasons (her contacts and respect in the industry) and as a swan song / honorific. Also, bring back Marie-Amelie Sauve, perhaps on an itinerant basis and if that works out perhaps something more permanent should be offered. GC and MAS do not need to arrive at the same time and in fact the system would benefit from MAS helping to fill the gap left at US Vogue due to GC's departure.

Of course, the downside of Grace as EIC is that she is not French and may not speak French (fluently) which is a big strike against her, but her plusses outweigh the minuses of any francophones that I can think of, save Fabien Baron. If there is any merit to Carine leaving being due to certain business practices, then I doubt if any of her top lieutenants would be selected to replace her.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alt, carine, editorinchief, emmanuelle, leaves, named, paris, roitfeld, update, vogue