How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2011
windowshopping

I admire Carre a lot. I remember the time when she and Mickey were the famous couple (there was a story later but dunno it's true about him shooting her, accidentaly, and that she had tattoo on her sholder to cover it) and I even remember that movie they made together. It makes me sad that she had to go through all this and it really took courage to talk openly about it. And yes, I remember that Linda was married to this guy, makes me wonder what was that all about.

02-11-2011
French Chic

The only thing I'm surprised at, is that it took her so long to speak out, but at least she has finally had the courage to do so.
Gerald Marie is clearly a deeply creepy and disgusting man as witnessed in the BBC documentary with Donal McIntyre, that exposed him for the pig he is, even if some scenes were slightly manipulated, he still said the things that were shown......and being that some of the models were underage, this calls for a different perspective on his behaviour altogether.

trendsetter

I also admire Otis for speaking out as it is very hard for women to do so.

But what makes me even more sad is that there are probably loads and loads of women and girls that have been raped or sexually harassed. It makes me really sad.

Also, a thing that is rarely discussed, is that often young boys are sexually harassed. I've read a biography (I don't remember which, unfortunately) in which the author tried to intern at some big fashion house when he was 16 where he has been indirectly told that he has to sleep with the guy in order to get the place. Disgusting, really. There are plenty of stories like this.

backstage pass

The fact that this disgusting man isn't rotting in a prison somewhere right now says a lot about how effed up this world is.

I don't necessarily mean this about Carre because she was just 17 at the time and no doubt scared and confused, but, it's so important for women to report these crimes when they happen. As scary as it may be, not reporting it just makes it possible for the rapist to believe he will never face any consequences and victimize girl after girl. Think how many girls could have been spared this nightmare if his prior victims could have somehow mustered the strength to report it.

That Carre didn't have the ability or understand the necessity of doing this is the fault of her (nonexistent?) parents.

This type of thing enrages me.

02-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedur View Post
The fact that this disgusting man isn't rotting in a prison somewhere right now says a lot about how effed up this world is.

I don't necessarily mean this about Carre because she was just 17 at the time and no doubt scared and confused, but, it's so important for women to report these crimes when they happen. As scary as it may be, not reporting it just makes it possible for the rapist to believe he will never face any consequences and victimize girl after girl. Think how many girls could have been spared this nightmare if his prior victims could have somehow mustered the strength to report it.

That Carre didn't have the ability or understand the necessity of doing this is the fault of her (nonexistent?) parents.

This type of thing enrages me.
I have read lots of books and article about this topic and it's often a long, difficult process until many women report their rapists. Many are scared of the reactions of their families and the multiple witness statements. That's why I admire every women who is brave enough to report the crime.

rising star

^Agreed. Many have to face further victimization when the press charges. Too often the community, police, those close with the accused,etc. will try to somehow the place the blame on the victim or say that she/he was lying. And the accused are let go.
In Carre's case, she would have gone up against a very wealthy and powerful man who could easily make sure her career would be over in a second. I wouldn't say it's the fault of her parents that she didn't come forward earlier, but society and the treatment of rape victims.

02-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
Many are scared of the reactions of their families and the multiple witness statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine04 View Post
Many have to face further victimization when the press charges. Too often the community, police, those close with the accused,etc. will try to somehow the place the blame on the victim or say that she/he was lying.
Which is exactly why I said...

Quote:
As scary as it may be, not reporting it just makes it possible for the rapist to believe he will never face any consequences and victimize girl after girl.
A decent upbringing and solid family support would have raised her to know the right thing to do here. She obviously didn't have that or she wouldn't have been living with that skeezy man at 17 anyway. It is most definitely her parents fault that she was in that situation in the first place.

And saying that doesn't take away from the horror that has happened here or the sympathy I have for Carre and all his other victims (which I'm sure number more than we'll ever hear about). And if any of them had mustered up the strength to press charges (with the emotional support of family and friends) then other women would have almost certainly been spared the same nightmare.

02-11-2011
don't look down

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to believe it's the abuser's fault that such terrible things happen, rather than it being the victim's fault that it happened to her, or that she was to blame for it happening to someone else.

clever ain't wise

^Well, that, and he was one of the most influential men in modeling. He was the president of Elite, not just her agent.

I'm not sure parents would be on to a clever, charming lecher like this and most 17 yo girls don't stand a chance.

02-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to believe it's the abuser's fault that such terrible things happen, rather than it being the victim's fault that it happened to her, or that she was to blame for it happening to someone else.
That's not what I said in the slightest and you know it.

I am in awe at those of you who don't understand the importance of reporting horrific crimes against women for the good of us all.

02-11-2011
rising star

Hedur-Its not just the fear of how others will perceive them that stops these girls/women from pressing charges. It's that too often not only will their rapist go free, but they will be blamed for what happened somehow. It's a reality that the odds may be against them (especially in Carre's case), not in all cases but in far in too many. Sometimes the victims even blame themselves, which is why crimes can go unreported as well. There are soo many other factors at play.
It is important to report these cases, but more needs to be done to make sure the victim doesn't get attacked for it. Parenting and upbringing really don't have anything to do with it.The most perfect upbringing can't prepare you for that sort of trauma.

02-11-2011
don't look down

I understand that each and every woman does the best she can, in her own circumstances - and that things are bad enough for them, without having to contend with the added burden of thinking they're responsible for what happens next, if an abuser chooses to continue their campaign of abuse, because they couldn't rise to someone else's expectations of perfect justice suddenly happening in a world where it rarely does, for this type of crime, even when people do speak out with all their heart.

fashion insider

Quote:
That's not what I said in the slightest and you know it.

I am in awe at those of you who don't understand the importance of reporting horrific crimes against women for the good of us all.
Instead of trying to shift any sort of blame to the woman that was raped for crimes she has didn't commit that may happy next, I think your energies would be put to much better use being angry at justice system women do not trust to report such horrific crimes.
I can totally understand why she didn't report it, they would have simply destroyed her.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 02-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.
02-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Which is exactly why I said...

A decent upbringing and solid family support would have raised her to know the right thing to do here. She obviously didn't have that or she wouldn't have been living with that skeezy man at 17 anyway. It is most definitely her parents fault that she was in that situation in the first place.

And saying that doesn't take away from the horror that has happened here or the sympathy I have for Carre and all his other victims (which I'm sure number more than we'll ever hear about). And if any of them had mustered up the strength to press charges (with the emotional support of family and friends) then other women would have almost certainly been spared the same nightmare.
i definitely agree that the upbringing and solid-ness of victim's family plays a big role in how the victim will "handle" the aftermath (and what would've happen in legal terms with the abuser in the future). also, the conditions that are instantly created with that decision should be more in favor of that same victim (or should i say the infrastructure - legal and communal - that should stand behind her) in a way that it clears the path at least just a little bit for the next victim to come out with her story more easily knowing there a strong safety net.

i don't think anyone (in their right mind) here is doubting who's the abuser and the main criminal in this story. i'm thinking people are just trying to understand why this kid was put in care of this person at the age of 17 without any parental advisory and how that "mondus operandi" might've affected her "coming out" and then in general what kind of things do affect that coming out of the victims in these cases, no?

you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine04 View Post
It's a reality that the odds may be against them (especially in Carre's case), not in all cases but in far in too many. Sometimes the victims even blame themselves, which is why crimes can go unreported as well. There are soo many other factors at play.
Truly. It's a wonder victims even have time to wrap their heads around what happened to them, before the statute of limitations is up and there's nothing they can legally do... forget the trial process and having to relive it over and over to strangers, many of whom are ignorant and unsympathetic to your situation, but I would have been scared for my physical safety if I were Carre! Drug-addicted sociopathic older man with lots of money and power... that's quite a deck to be stacked against.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agent, alleged, carré, finally, modeling, names, otis, rapist