How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
those were designed by a photographer who obviously used his work. If there was to be a Vogue Africa they would definitely need to hire the right team.
I guess the right team could pull it off. But surely the photographer was being serious about the pitch, and the covers don't look serious enough.
For starters I can read French text on the last one. There just looks like there hasn't been that.. pushing effort.

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

this doesn't surprise me, but I think the presentation of an idea should have been better. It shouldn't have been just some random photographer trying to get an entire publication started. It should have been at least an editor or journalist (someone with experience in the field of publications) to put together at decent issue.

I don't think Vogue Africa was a good idea, but I wouldn't have minded seeing what a Vogue South Africa could have done. Especially considering that they (South Africa) do have most of the other major publications like Elle, Bazaar, Glamour, etc.

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

The mock covers he did are awesome. Vogue Africa would be intriguing, but so many international Vogue's end up reusing material from the American edition, which is kind of annoying. More time should be spent focusing on originality.

Anyway, I'm also curious if Vogue Africa were a reality, how big would the market be--I have no doubt it would sell well internationally. But I wonder how it would do within Africa.

14-08-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
The market is actually quite big, South Africa for one has its own editions of Elle, Cosmo, Glamour, Bazaar, GQ, FHM etc so a Vogue SA would be automatic. A South African edition of vogue with content from the entire continent would sell in West, East and the Southern parts of Africa.
There used to be a Vogue SA at one point (the 60s and/or 70s I believe).

14-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
Like Vogue Mexico/Latin america? Which is a a regurgutation of every possible ed and cover from Conde Nast??? :s

Oh and it wudnt hurt to do an Africa issue ... just to test ... go big and give away money ... if it doesnt sell INSIDE Africa ... it wud DEF ell outside ... I honestly believe there's many people like me who find it exciting and interesting ... Id SO buy it!
I think a Vogue South Africa would mainly sell in South Africa unless it had other content to encompass the rest of the continent. They do have quite a huge market and I bet the rest of the sales would spill into the rest of the continent. The other magazines like Glamour, Elle etc sell quite well in South Africa and are also distributed in other countries. I also like the fact that most of their eds and sometimes covers are original for magazines like Glamour and the like. They also largely feature local designers and models. Am not sure if Vogue would take the same route though.

Rebaptising my badness

The photographer should have teamed up with a big local publishing group and designed a serious business project. Vogue is not about the artistry or the innovation, it is about the business and the money it makes. With the right approach (i.e. a business one), this project could definitely take off.

you soft and only

Ok one more thing. I kind of don't want there to be a Vogue Africa yet because I want a magazine such as Arise to actually flourish in that arena and not get overshadowed by Vogue. I've read a few issues of Arise and I feel like that they could potentially become a widely respected magazine if they get a chance to mature.

15-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I guess the main issue with Arise is its cost. I cant remember the actual cost but even people in the west where incomes are way higher than here complain about its cost. This has unfortunately minimised its chances of lasting long.

fashion insider

I think it's a stupid concept. It's like having Vogue Iberian Peninsula for example regardless of the fact that Portugal and Spain have nothing to do with each other and do not even speak the same language.(Not that It matters in Portugal's case, because the magazine should be called British Vogue Translation, but that's another story). What is this Africa they are talking about?
They should target specific countries in Africa.

15-08-2010
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
I guess the right team could pull it off. But surely the photographer was being serious about the pitch, and the covers don't look serious enough.
For starters I can read French text on the last one. There just looks like there hasn't been that.. pushing effort.
I definitely see your point. If you are presenting something to a corporation like Conde Nast, you better have the best presentation ever, especially if you are trying to launch a magazine. Make it look professional and make it look believable. I have seen better mock-ups by tfs members in the Vogue Cover Challenge thread.

16-08-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
There might be many who are interested and excited about the concept, but is that many enough to sustain the livelihood of such a Vogue edition?

For a magazine such as Vogue Africa to generate cash, you can't just rely on a niche group, but it needs to go mainstream.

Again, I would like to see Conde Nast's financial analysis of the project and some definitive numbers and market projections.

At the end of the day, Conde Nast is a business. If they thought Vogue Africa would make money, they would've gone for it.
Honey, please, Vogue Italia is a niche mag if I ever saw one & Vogue Paris is vaunted as mag for "fashion insiders" not mainstream. I'd love to see how much cash they generate...

But yeah, I agree with vogue28 on the lame look of the photographer's cover pitch & with others about "Vogue Africa" being way, way too broad a concept, pick a nation.

clever ain't wise

I like the sound of Vogue South Africa. If it could be sold as a more avantgarde black fashion magazine it would be quite the feather in the hat considering the history of South Africa.

Someone should pitch n'prune that idea and sell it to Michelle Obama

16-08-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanii94 View Post
An African edition of Vogue would be incredible. But covering a whole continent would be difficult.

My only problem with a Vogue SA is that it would be full of reprints from the UK, USA and Japan.
While my initial inclination is to agree, I can't help but think of how innovative and beautiful Vogues in India, Turkey, and Greece have proven to be. I'm fairly certain those countries are all in the same economic "ballpark" so to speak, so who's to say that Vogue South Africa couldn't possibly become something similar?

18-08-2010
V.I.P.

I'm agreeing with everyone in the sense that Vogue South Africa would
be a lot better than Vogue Africa....its judt to broad whereas VSA would sell amazingly
if they featured a perfect combination of African models who are black and not black

06-02-2012
scenester

Perhaps they could segment the market into 5 regions not too dissimilar to the image below. Essentially into 5 regional vogue magazines – in the South an English African Vogue; East Swahili Vogue; North Arabic Vogue; in centre Africa a French African Vogue and finally a West-African Vogue. Some problems do arise. What can be done with the French speaking countries in the West, are they to be incorporated into the Centre-African or West-African Vogue Magazine edition? What of the portuguese speaking countries in the South and none Swahii speaking countries to the East?

The current market is not strong enough for singular-country Vogue Magazines. However, within 20 years Africa Vogue whether regional or country specific will be available. Discretionary income is projected to rise by 50 percent over the next 8 years, reaching 128 million. If Condé Nast continues its’ traditional country specific model, they could still cater for more regional consumer base through the dominant economies. You would therefore have a South African, Egyptian, Congolese, Kenyan and Nigerian Vogue Magazines each capturing something of the region’s they inhabit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanii94 View Post
[I][FONT="Georgia"]An African edition of Vogue would be incredible. But covering a whole continent would be difficult.

afdb

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
africa, conde, nast, vogue