How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2012
fashion insider

The time for an african Vogue hasn`t come yet. ****Edited****

Africa lacks two things that are essential for Vogue; on own high fashion & lifestyle industry and a wide interest in (& ability to afford) luxury goods.

Vogue lives from its advertising and would advertise his luxury jewellery in a magazine who`s readers *Edtied to say: ..... may not be able to buy the advertised goods.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-02-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Removing inflamitory political talk.

09-02-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
The time for an african Vogue hasn`t come yet. **Edited***
Africa lacks two things that are essential for Vogue; on own high fashion & lifestyle industry and a wide interest in (& ability to afford) luxury goods.

Vogue lives from its advertising and would advertise his luxury jewellery in a magazine who`s readers *Edtied to say: ..... may not be able to buy the advertised goods.
****Edited****

I agree that a Vogue Africa would have to cover way too many countries, but a Vogue South Africa would definitely work. ***Edtied**** we're able to pop by Louis Vuitton if we want to. Or maybe go to Gucci, Max Mara, etc.

(Obviously I'm not implying the majority of South Africans shop at Louis Vuitton regularly, but neither does the majority of Americans, so you get my point.)

Last edited by BetteT; 11-02-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: REmoving negative comments directed at another member.
10-02-2012
scenester

***Edtied*** to remove response to edited posts.

LabelWhore4 is right, there are literally all the other regular fashion/lifestyle magazines, as well as all the high end shops.

So my point is that there IS a market for luxury in South Africa. Nobody is saying that poverty doesn't exist. All I'm saying is that there are many people who live an abundantly luxurious lifestyle in South Africa, sometimes to the point where it becomes ostentatious, and whether or not they should be donating their money rather than buying Gucci has nothing to do with the fact that a Vogue South Africa would work. As I said, I do think a Vogue Africa would probably be too vast.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
11-02-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:

The time for an african Vogue hasn`t come yet. ****Edited****

i live in Africa where am a designer ***Edited to remove response to edited post.*** Google websites like bellanaija.com or eLLE south Africa or shadders

Last edited by BetteT; 11-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
11-02-2012
V.I.P.

Moderators Note:

Careful everyone! You may not discuss "politics" and that includes taking about a country's or region's impoverished people and what anyone should do about it ... whether it be Conde Nast, the govenment or the citizens. Stats from relieable sources without posting your judgement are OK as long as they support the topic ... which is whether or not Conde Nast will create a Vogue Africa.

Secondly ... this is a two year old topic, so it's old news ... they already said no.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-02-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
africa, conde, nast, vogue