How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Condť Nast says NO to Vogue Africa
shestyles.wordpress.com

Independent.co.uk

Quote:
African photographer Mario Epanya's proposition of an African edition of Vogue has been rejected by publishing house, Condť Nast.
Epanya, who created fictitional covers and editorials for his campaign, posted on his Facebook page: "DEAR ALL. The Wait is over. Condť Nast said NO to an African license of VOGUE. So this is the last cover. Enjoy, but it's a beginning of something."
African-American lifestyle site Madame Noire writes: "Obviously, Vogue can still get away with a few editorials featuring Africans and African Americans sprinkled here and there. Although their "Black Issue" flew off the magazine racks in 2008, are you really surprised that Conde Nast rejected the idea?"
Some of those commenting on the story have called on Africans to boycott the other 18 international Vogue editions and opt for local magazines, such as Arise, instead.

13-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

more of the fake VA issues which to me were awesome!
http://www.google.co.ug/images?hl=&q...w=1680&bih=831

13-08-2010
V.I.P.

That's sad but I'm not surprised AT ALL.

13-08-2010
fashion elite

I agree to saying no to Vogue Africa as there are so many different cultures that need to be represented. It'd be like having Vogue Europe. But I think in the future they should think about adding an African nation to the other vogues in the future.

13-08-2010
V.I.P.

Before we get our arms all up over perceived racism by Conde Nast, how big is the projected market for Vogue Africa?

But satisfaction brought it back
13-08-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
That's sad but I'm not surprised AT ALL.
I am with this.Sad,but I guess they have their reasons

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Conde nast is a private business. They have no obligation to do anything anywhere. If they thought they could have made good money with this project with the necessary standard, then I'm sure they would have gone for it. They probably have very good market analysis' of Africa.

14-08-2010
you soft and only

I think people are being too simplistic about the actual logistics of a magazine such as Vogue Africa existing. Covering a whole continent with many different cultures and language groups. Of course, there's Vogue Latio America & Mexico which cover quite a large geographic region, but then they do share a language and a shared history (of course not for the last 200+ years, but much of the structures of society were laid by Spain) that bring them together in a way Africa isn't.

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnis View Post
Conde nast is a private business. They have no obligation to do anything anywhere. If they thought they could have made good money with this project with the necessary standard, then I'm sure they would have gone for it. They probably have very good market analysis' of Africa.
Exactly. Plus with those covers pitched, I'm not surprised.

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

The market is actually quite big, South Africa for one has its own editions of Elle, Cosmo, Glamour, Bazaar, GQ, FHM etc so a Vogue SA would be automatic. A South African edition of vogue with content from the entire continent would sell in West, East and the Southern parts of Africa. The Northern part of Africa might not be a very favorable market for it though since they are more inclined to the Arabic and Francophone countries. Most companies underestimate the market in Africa, just look at how the telecom industry has exploded in a very short period.

14-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
Exactly. Plus with those covers pitched, I'm not surprised.
those were designed by a photographer who obviously used his work. If there was to be a Vogue Africa they would definitely need to hire the right team.

14-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I think people are being too simplistic about the actual logistics of a magazine such as Vogue Africa existing. Covering a whole continent with many different cultures and language groups. Of course, there's Vogue Latio America & Mexico which cover quite a large geographic region, but then they do share a language and a shared history (of course not for the last 200+ years, but much of the structures of society were laid by Spain) that bring them together in a way Africa isn't.
For it to work, Vogue Africa would target the West, East and Southern parts of the continent where English is the most commonly spoken language. Our way of life is also quite similar especially in regard to the urban Africans who are the main target of a magazine like Vogue.

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

An African edition of Vogue would be incredible. But covering a whole continent would be difficult.

My only problem with a Vogue SA is that it would be full of reprints from the UK, USA and Japan.

14-08-2010
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanii94 View Post

My only problem with a Vogue SA is that it would be full of reprints from the UK, USA and Japan.
Like Vogue Mexico/Latin america? Which is a a regurgutation of every possible ed and cover from Conde Nast??? :s

Oh and it wudnt hurt to do an Africa issue ... just to test ... go big and give away money ... if it doesnt sell INSIDE Africa ... it wud DEF ell outside ... I honestly believe there's many people like me who find it exciting and interesting ... Id SO buy it!

V.I.P.

There might be many who are interested and excited about the concept, but is that many enough to sustain the livelihood of such a Vogue edition?

For a magazine such as Vogue Africa to generate cash, you can't just rely on a niche group, but it needs to go mainstream.

Again, I would like to see Conde Nast's financial analysis of the project and some definitive numbers and market projections.

At the end of the day, Conde Nast is a business. If they thought Vogue Africa would make money, they would've gone for it.

But satisfaction brought it back
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
africa, conde, nast, vogue