Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] - Page 46 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

I cannot even begin to rationalise with what he said. When you have 360k destitute unfortunates standing right on your doorstep, will you really vet their religious and political affiliations first before offering a helping hand?? I mean, are you Poland who only want Christian Syrians,while of course conveniently forgetting that in 2004 they too had to rely on the goodwill of others???

Karl can do well to familiarise himself with what started the Holocaust. Seven decades ago the Jews were in the same situation many Syrians find themselves in. And he's thrashing the one woman who seems intent to help these people despite the backlash from left and right?? See, this is what happens when you talk out of your arse 90% of all times times while getting glorified for it.

Also, when you look at who's cutting his cheques then these comments doesn't seem all that far fetched....

6 Days Ago
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
I cannot even begin to rationalise with what he said. When you have 360k destitute unfortunates standing right on your doorstep, will you really vet their religious and political affiliations first before offering a helping hand?? I mean, are you Poland who only want Christian Syrians,while of course conveniently forgetting that in 2004 they too had to rely on the goodwill of others???

Karl can do well to familiarise himself with what started the Holocaust. Seven decades ago the Jews were in the same situation many Syrians find themselves in. And he's thrashing the one woman who seems intent to help these people despite the backlash from left and right?? See, this is what happens when you talk out of your arse 90% of all times times while getting glorified for it.

Also, when you look at who's cutting his cheques then these comments doesn't seem all that far fetched....
This. This. so much THIS!!!

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Well I think Naomi Campbell’s opinions are total trash, but as someone that worked in London for more than a decade it never heard office of that dimension with just white people. It’s almost impossible. I do not know if racism was the problem but something profoundly wrong was going on in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...abal-offensive

This is actually the original interview my jaw dropped at some of her statements, she has absolutely no need for this, why she’s digging her own grave is beyond me.
WOW! that interview is so embarassing...More embarassing than that Vogue documentary.
There are two things...She lived in a bubble and maybe much more than Emmanuelle, the late Franca and Anna obviously. She doesn't seem to have any real connection in the fashion industry and in the entertainment industry and that was reflected in her magazine. I've always complained about the disconnect between the energy of the LFW and the magazine.

I still don't believe that she is racist, she just lives in her bubble and i'm willing to believe her when she said that maybe black women don't sell that much but the justification is so weird.

Just say that you didn't want to put them in the cover because they underperformed! Be honest!

The part when she is talking about Naomi getting covers is cringy at best. She knows she didn't Naomi on the cover because she cares so much about figures. We saw it!

She is totally defensive about actual facts when he response should be: Maybe we didn't pushed diversity enough and that was a mistake for my part and i take full responsability for it and i support Edward for it because it's something that is very important!

But then again, did Alexandra pushed anything? In 25 years in don't think that we can say that she pushed a model, a designer, a photographer...
I mean, she waited long enough for those people to be famous thanks to others Vogue to finally work with them.

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:

Bravo!🙏

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:

YES and AMEN to that (even if i respect the fact he is untitled to his view on the question).

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post

She is totally defensive about actual facts when he response should be: Maybe we didn't pushed diversity enough and that was a mistake for my part and i take full responsability for it and i support Edward for it because it's something that is very important!

But then again, did Alexandra pushed anything? In 25 years in don't think that we can say that she pushed a model, a designer, a photographer...
I mean, she waited long enough for those people to be famous thanks to others Vogue to finally work with them.
Exactly! But she basically keeps insisting that her only job was to sell magazines and if that means maintaining the status quo she’s justified doing so and no one can criticise her because she made a profit. Did she lost the plot?

Let’s not even talk about her confusion about the number of Naomi covers, if I embarrassed myself that way, i would go and lie down in a dark room for a while. 😬

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:

Thank you, Benn.

I will say this though, there is a growing concern within the German Jewish and also queer community about potential hate crimes from Muslims, and the numbers are actually on the rise. If Karl is indeed worried about the Jewish community in Germany, his ill informed nonsense did them a disservice to say the least. It is a sincere concern for many, but judging a whole religion based on some hearsay is not a good way to address it.

If Karl wants to save the German Jews from anti-semitism, he doesn't have to go all the way to Syria, by the way: This was one of the recent 'highlights' in tastelessness and disgustingness. It's unclear who did it, but it's far more likely that the people who stole the stones were Nazis, not Muslims.
According to this link (in German and admittedly a very pro-Migration and left-leaning site), a whopping 90% of those who committed anti-semitic crimes were Germans (including Germans of Arabic/Middle Eastern decent of course).

I don't want to justify his populist claims here, but one last remark in his defense: I don't believe the Wertheimers have anything to do with his position on this, as Benn implied. (And they don't have to hate Muslims just because they are Jewish, you're stereotyping just as beautifully as Karl here - or did they come forward with some political stance I don't know of?) I blame it on the very, very complicated and guilt-ridden relationship between Germans of his generation and Jews. I'm sure he hates to hear it, but as opposed to the majority of the world population he was actually alive when the Holocaust started. I do buy his honest concern for Jewish issues - but it doesn't raise my tolerance for his bullshitting.

6 Days Ago
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
It's pretty obvious the only way Karl is exiting Chanel is inside a casket, but a 1% in me still hopes they bring it down for essentially the same content as Galliano's non-sober speech.
This. It is highly hypocrite to destroy Galliano for his behaviour while drunk and forgive Karl. It just shows how powerful he is.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore View Post
Thank you, Benn.

I will say this though, there is a growing concern within the German Jewish and also queer community about potential hate crimes from Muslims, and the numbers are actually on the rise. If Karl is indeed worried about the Jewish community in Germany, his ill informed nonsense did them a disservice to say the least. It is a sincere concern for many, but judging a whole religion based on some hearsay is not a good way to address it.
This “concern” as you put it is being well harnessed by far right parties that are now styling themselves as pro-LGBT, anti-misogyny, and anti-semitism vigilantes. The far right here in the Netherlands does not open bother operating any other way. It is just a disgusting cover for the basest of prejudices. His “opinion” is no different from all of those “defenders of liberty and western values” that have been polluting the media.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
This “concern” as you put it is being well harnessed by far right parties that are now styling themselves as pro-LGBT, anti-misogyny, and anti-semitism vigilantes. The far right here in the Netherlands does not open bother operating any other way. It is just a disgusting cover for the basest of prejudices. His “opinion” is no different from all of those “defenders of liberty and western values” that have been polluting the media.
See, I think that's exactly why we're where we're at in most Western countries, it's all so black and white.

I despise far-right parties that have recently discovered the merits of feminism and some Judeo-Christian heritage that has never been talked about before, but does this mean just because they have claimed the territory, it's all theirs now? Having worked with refugees a lot, I hope we can soon find a way to address these problems in a more civilized and efficient way. Karl's remarks are stupid and dangerous and in the way he phrased it there is indeed little difference between him and far right parties. But that doesn't necessarily make his concern a "concern" and his opinion an "opinion".

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore View Post
See, I think that's exactly why we're where we're at in most Western countries, it's all so black and white.

I despise far-right parties that have recently discovered the merits of feminism and some Judeo-Christian heritage that has never been talked about before, but does this mean just because they have claimed the territory, it's all theirs now? Having worked with refugees a lot, I hope we can soon find a way to address these problems in a more civilized and efficient way. Karl's remarks are stupid and dangerous and in the way he phrased it there is indeed little difference between him and far right parties. But that doesn't necessarily make his concern a "concern" and his opinion an "opinion".
Quite the contrary, it’s not theirs at all that’s exactly the point, far right ideologies are totally incompatible with any of this territory they are trying to claim. That’s why this idea that you can be selective with your “concerns” , expect them to be heard, but at the same time hold completly prejudiced views does not cut it with me. Karl is entitled to his “opinion” , but the beauty of it is that we also all have the right to call him out on it. The complexity of the problem is beyond him, clearly he’s just parroting this populist stupidities we are constantly hearing, i do not understand why he should get a free pass just because of who he is.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Well it was only a matter of time before the kaiser hit the mat. And good riddance.

5 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
This. It is highly hypocrite to destroy Galliano for his behaviour while drunk and forgive Karl. It just shows how powerful he is.
I just don't think that Galliano's case is comparable. I'm maybe wrong but from what i've seen from the TV show and what Galliano said in the tape, there's a big difference.

I love John but let's be honest, he is able to work and express himself today because we have been indulgent toward him because of who he is and his talent. Drunk or not, if it was in another industry or even another person, be sure that it could have been impossible for that person to find a job...Even more at such a top position at an important company.

If Karl is powerful, Galliano is surrounded by powerful people who were able to support him after what he said.

5 Days Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I just don't think that Galliano's case is comparable. I'm maybe wrong but from what i've seen from the TV show and what Galliano said in the tape, there's a big difference.

I love John but let's be honest, he is able to work and express himself today because we have been indulgent toward him because of who he is and his talent. Drunk or not, if it was in another industry or even another person, be sure that it could have been impossible for that person to find a job...Even more at such a top position at an important company.

If Karl is powerful, Galliano is surrounded by powerful people who were able to support him after what he said.
John did apologize and go to rehab, so he did penance for his deeds. I doubt karl would need anything more than a "it was taken out of context" bs excuse. Besides, John was stressed out and drunk when he said what he did, karl was perfectly sober saying what he did. I've heard that apparen't lyrics karl says similar inappropriate stuff in private, and no critic can touch his currently awful designs. He's a lot more powerful than other designers at the moment. He basically has a personality cult around him.

Also, as a mid easterner who had to get granted asylum and wait 10 years to become a US citizen, his comments bother me a lot. It's not easy being a foreigner, and you have to try and be good, most people don't want to get deported. I'd imagine most immigrants just try to be good in their new home, even if they disagree with some of the morality of the place. But I'm an Iraqi Christian (who looks eastern European) , so I certainly did not have to deal with much prejudice. However, I feel like immigrants causing problems is being blown out of proportion for personal gain by some, and karl as smart as he likes to appear seems to have taken the bait.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
I'd imagine most immigrants just try to be good in their new home, even if they disagree with some of the morality of the place.
I was thinking exactly the same, but I didn't say it because I don't want to sound like Nell from the mountains.

There are criminal elements everywhere, and of course there would be with such a large group. It's just so shameful and provincial to tar the lot with one brush. This sort of thing happened in the UK as well. A few isolated cases, which actually had been a pre-existing issue, got exploited as one of the reasons to exit Europe. One would think that a worldly 'Frenchman' (sic) who works with people from so many different backgrounds would know better.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, behavior, designer, fashion, insiders, post, posting, read