Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] - Page 47 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...

14-11-2017
#Resist

^ Some people have an infinite capacity for ignorance.

Since he's an LGBT person, it would certainly be nice if he were sensitized to the dangers and pitfalls and complete inadequacy of stereotyping. I've also been wondering what Miss Hadid thinks of these remarks.

14-11-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Some people have an infinite capacity for ignorance.

Since he's an LGBT person, it would certainly be nice if he were sensitized to the dangers and pitfalls and complete inadequacy of stereotyping. I've also been wondering what Miss Hadid thinks of these remarks.
Yea, I wonder what the Hadid girls would say since their father is Muslim

As for karl being lgbt, im pretty sure he once said he dI'd not afree with same-sex marriage, but then some short years later he has a same-sex wedding couple at the finale of a couture show. I wondered if it was sincere or if he was just going along with what was popular at the time. He seems to do that a lot lately, go with the popular stuff

#Resist

^ If there's a brain or a heart rattling around in there, perhaps he experienced a change.

I remember many years ago starting an argument with a friend about this ... we were driving down the California coast (me at the wheel), and she insisted on taking the scenic route, I believe CA 101, which hairpins around many, many redwoods. They are beautiful, but the hairpin turns are a bit hair-raising. This put me in a mood, so I made the case for gay marriage, and by the end of the road trip, she admitted I was right There are a lot of people to whom it has (and I guess to some it still does) seemed 'wrong' who've come around. And then there are those who haven't ... one need look no further than Stefano Gabbana for a selection of antiquated views held by someone who should know better

14-11-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ If there's a brain or a heart rattling around in there, perhaps he experienced a change.

I remember many years ago starting an argument with a friend about this ... we were driving down the California coast (me at the wheel), and she insisted on taking the scenic route, I believe CA 101, which hairpins around many, many redwoods. They are beautiful, but the hairpin turns are a bit hair-raising. This put me in a mood, so I made the case for gay marriage, and by the end of the road trip, she admitted I was right There are a lot of people to whom it has (and I guess to some it still does) seemed 'wrong' who've come around. And then there are those who haven't ... one need look no further than Stefano Gabbana for a selection of antiquated views held by someone who should know better
I did think that maybe he had changed, but sometimes he seems so into gimmicks and new trends that it makes me wonder about his sincerity. Like I wonder even if this is partly him jumping on the refugee hating bandwagon, although it does seem more like him being so out of touch with the world

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
As for karl being lgbt, im pretty sure he once said he dI'd not afree with same-sex marriage, but then some short years later he has a same-sex wedding couple at the finale of a couture show. I wondered if it was sincere or if he was just going along with what was popular at the time. He seems to do that a lot lately, go with the popular stuff
You have to remember that Karl may be LGBT but he comes from a different era. Even if he has go through the evolution of LGBT rights over the decades, he has pretty much been protected. Being a young gay man in the Haute Couture world was slightly different than being a regular gay man.

He said that he was against same-sex marriage only because it was bourgeois and that at the time (of his youth i believe), gay people wanted everything but to live a bourgeois life.
When he did the same-sex wedding at the Couture show, it was a reaction to the protest from the anti same-sex marriage here in France and i remember that he declared on French TV that he may have been against same-sex marriage, he was even more against people who were against same-sex marriage.

And then he showed his support.

Quote:
Yea, I wonder what the Hadid girls would say since their father is Muslim
You don't even have to go that far as the Hadid. The man has actually muslim/arabian people in his circle. From intellectuals to actresses, directors that he support. Even more through Sebastien Jondeau, his bodyguard/personal assistant and the Grimaldi family.

The last part of his comment is so ambiguous...I don't know how they translated in english but it's so weird in french because it led people to totally different interpretations. And that's where the CSA (people who control french TV) have to look into deeply.

I think maybe this Karl's thing shows maybe something that has been too present here in France. It has always been a common place here to care about designer's views on society (from Gabrielle Chanel to Paco Rabanne). In a way, i think it's interesting but when something like this happen, i wonder if it's still necessary. His interview was actually very interesting up until that moment!

Karl has always been close to people from the left party and now, he is very supportive of Macron. Even if some of those ideas were heard before the election, i've heard that there's some embarrassement about it in the parisian circle.

15-11-2017
#Resist

^ I understand the point about marriage being bourgeois, and I'm not a tremendously establishment person myself. I appreciate people who question norms--and I do that myself. At the same time, I see the value of people being bourgeois, being building blocks of society, and those people shouldn't be--and crucially, aren't--all straight. Bourgeois people, and creative people, and people who question the status quo, come in all flavors and colors of the rainbow, and so it should be. LGBT people belong in all of those categories, and the quiet explosion of gay marriage when it became legal absolutely proved that. I think it's also true that many different kinds of people want to have a legal commitment to each other for a variety of reasons. It's not one motive that gives so many people the same desire. Maybe this is a bit complex for Karl to understand

15-11-2017
fashion icon

^^
Exactly!You said it all...
That's why i believe that journalist asking him questions about everything is kinda irrelevant. Him being a gay man "from another generation", who lived a fairly privileged non-conventional life, who had a partner for 17 years and hasn't been in any relationship since his death almost 30 years ago cannot relate to those questions.
You're totally right when you says that it's a bit complex for him to understand that.

Even when he supported that he used a very "May 68" quote to express it: "it's forbiden to forbid".

I think sometimes he says some truth but i'm much more interested in hearing his opinion in fashion, photography, philosophy and books. Hearing his opinion on society subjects is a total non-sense for me as it is irrelevant. It is his right to be an individual and talk about it privately but does the world needs this? No.

And to be honest, i think that we pay to much attention to what he said.

16-11-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I just don't think that Galliano's case is comparable. I'm maybe wrong but from what i've seen from the TV show and what Galliano said in the tape, there's a big difference.

I love John but let's be honest, he is able to work and express himself today because we have been indulgent toward him because of who he is and his talent. Drunk or not, if it was in another industry or even another person, be sure that it could have been impossible for that person to find a job...Even more at such a top position at an important company.

If Karl is powerful, Galliano is surrounded by powerful people who were able to support him after what he said.
Thank you. The two situations are not comparable in the slightest! I disagree with Karl completely, but he gave a misguided opinion about a controversial and sensitive situation. Galliano came out and said he loved Hitler...Karl certainly was not praising or promoting genocide in the slightest.

16-11-2017
#Resist

^ Well, I think that statement is a little strong. Neglecting/rejecting refugees can lead directly to deaths. Right now we have a record number of refugees in the world since WWII, and many are Muslim and not being welcomed by non-majority Muslim countries. We absolutely have a humanitarian crisis, and fueling anti-refugee sentiment has serious consequences. It's a more passive approach, but the results can be very similar.

27-11-2017
everything sucks!

Ana Marie Cox (a political writer/pundit) wrote this on her Instagram. I was told that MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski said something similar about Leibovitz a few weeks ago on her Twitter/Instagram but has since deleted it. What are they talking about?

instagram

27-11-2017
tfs star

I always got terrible vibes from Annie, besides thinking her work is extremely overrated (and just plain terrible as of lately). Wouldn't be surprised if she was a terrible person indeed.

rising star

I have heard absolutely HORRIBLE things about Annie, directly from her assistants. She's vile! And while karma did come round to give her a kick in the a*s, with all her financial troubles. The next round is surely coming for her!

28-11-2017
V.I.P.

^Do share what you heard about her.

everything sucks!

I know there are lots of articles about Annie that state she has a poor reputation, for being rude, careless of other people's time, that sort of thing... Just a general "nasty person" vibe. Here is an interesting article (I think this event took place a couple decades ago)

https://www.featureshoot.com/2012/08...nie-leibovitz/

Last edited by t-rex; 28-11-2017 at 02:52 AM.
28-11-2017
V.I.P.

^Thanks for posting!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, behavior, designer, fashion, insiders, post, posting, read