Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] - Page 51 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
23-01-2018
V.I.P.

Oh wow. That was the most disgusting and disrespectful thing I’ve heard all day. The backlash better be strong! Shame on her.

23-01-2018
V.I.P.

Is "I have a half-Armenian daughter" her version of "I have a black friend"? Don't most Armenian's identify as white? Try harder next time, Ulyana.

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

Sigh, preserve the straight boy from these 'weird' gay deviants at all cost. Shocked that this is coming from a woman within the fashion industry.

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

She disabled the comments on her Ulyana apology (which wasn't disabled a few hours ago). She knows about the Bryanboy/Andreja/KimK/Paris video and is choosing not to reply but rather to silence everyone who knows she's just as disgusting as Ulyana herself.

I'll wait for her PR apology 3 days later with the comments disabled served with a side of the victim card

Last edited by Armani; 24-01-2018 at 01:25 AM.

24-01-2018
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
you just have to understand they don't really have an agenda or malice or are on a mission to disrupt all the progress the US has made to overcome racial tension... when you live outside the US, you are BOMBARDED with American pop culture and you pick up a lot of things based on whatever sounds trendiest or fun to pronounce and.. who knows what they mean in the US!, it's so strong that most young people really believe they understand American culture based on these exports.. it's always a shock to come and realise you had no idea and that people don't even use some words on a daily basis.. or that things that were exported as "American humor" aren't actually that funny or even important and people laugh about things that you might just never get because you lack cultural foundation...
This exactly. Since basically everything is translated into Russian most people don't bother learning English. So they might not know the meaning of the words. Also the common word for a black person in Russian is 'negr' - the non-offensive neutral version, so you can see why many don't even consider that the n-word could be bad - especially since it's in all the cool songs in the charts.

As a matter of fact, in the mid 2000s when the popularity of american hip hop in Russia was peaking it was even cool to call each other that word nad no one knew that it was derogatory. I cringe remembering this.

That being said, that was indeed stupid of Ulyana. She's not a kid in 2004, she's a grown woman in 2018, who has been in international circles long enough to know better - I guess she's just not that smart.

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

https://garage.vice.com/en_us/articl...rgeenko-racism
Quote:
Following Racist Note, Ulyana Sergeenko Speaks at Her Show: "I’m So Upset That I Spoiled It." It's Not Enough.
Ulyana Sergeenko, the Russian couturier known for her 1940s-style silhouettes and exquisite furs, unexpectedly ended up in the fashion industry’s glare this morning when her friend Miroslava Duma posted the flowers the designer sent on on Instagram stories, revealing a racist note quoting the title of a Kanye West and Jay-Z song.
Twitter, Instagram, and bloggers immediately attacked the designer for her racism. Sergeenko posted an apology on her Instagram, writing, “I am deeply sorry to everyone whom I might have offended,” denying claims that she is racist and adding, “I have certainly learned my lesson and am grateful for it.” She also wrote, “And yes, we call each other the N word sometimes when we want to believe that we are just as cool as these guys who sing it”—an admission that seems almost impossibly ignorant. How Duma, a world traveler and businesswoman, would have found the note appropriate to post in the first place reveals a stunning lack of awareness.

But in the fashion world, which is particularly attuned to racism at the moment, such a mea culpa is not enough. The diffusive end to her note didn’t help matters: “There is enough anger in the world, please, can we stop it here?” (Sergeenko's apology has since been deleted from Instagram.)

At a preview for her show this afternoon, her design partner, Frol Burimskiy, led me through the collection while Sergeenko held back and remained glued to her phone. I had requested the interview, if you can believe it, because I’d been struck by the diversity of the models in Sergeenko’s Fall 2018 show when I was here for Couture week last July, and wanted to speak to her about her casting process.
Unfortunately, Sergeenko decided to hold a presentation instead of a runway show, placing the dresses on mannequins in wings that flanked a tea parlor in which porcelain, specially designed for the occasion by a Russian manufacturer, was displayed in great opulence alongside tea cakes and sweets. Of course, this meant there were no models. As I thanked Sergeenko and Burimskiy for taking me through the collection of exquisite handmade lace and coats appliquéd with pink mink flowers, I asked Sergeenko about what had happened that morning. Tears almost welled in her eyes. “I’m so upset that I spoiled it,” she said of her show.

“With no intention,” Burimskiy chimed in. “It’s surprising. But c’est la vie.”

Unfortunately, c’est is not la vie for much of the world, and Sergeenko’s inability to acknowledge the real harm she caused is extremely troubling—that intentions don’t matter here, and the casual use of a racial slur among friends is entirely wrong. Because Sergeenko’s work is exclusively couture (and a limited run of demi-couture), she is mostly unknown to casual fashion observers outside her major market. A designer who was unfamiliar to the average reader of Teen Vogue or New York Magazine has now sealed a reputation as a racist. As couture week continues to answer for its relevance in a world that prizes social awareness and intelligence above beauty, this kind of incident stings.

credit: rachel tashjian for garage.vice

credit: journalpost

Last edited by Armani; 24-01-2018 at 02:08 AM.

24-01-2018
fashion icon

She is fired/left it already
It was her business project for masses. She speak with russians and said exactly what russian masses want to hear. Same with Kardashian or Hilton, doesn't matter how much they party together if target audience doesn't care or negative towards them

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagFan View Post
She is fired/left it already
It was her business project for masses. She speak with russians and said exactly what russian masses want to hear. Same with Kardashian or Hilton, doesn't matter how much they party together if target audience doesn't care or negative towards them
Who are you referring to, MagFan?

24-01-2018
fashion icon

I'm more concerned about Miroslava's rant to be honest. Wow.

24-01-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Who are you referring to, MagFan?
Miroslava videos

not buro but some other project

instagram.com/thetot

24-01-2018
fashion icon

btw slaves were white in Russia actually. Even if Sergeenko is white and acting like a blue blooded tsarina doesn't mean she has no slave blood in her, she has it 100%

24-01-2018
windowshopping

Naomi Campbell slams Russian designer Ulyana Sergeenko
Have you guys heard about this?

Naomi Campbell slams Russian designer over her 'n****s in Paris' note - as the fashion insider who shared a snap of the racist card is DROPPED by the brand she co-founded
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz556klHqkH

- Ulyana Sergeenko wrote a note saying 'n****s in Paris' and sent it to Miroslava Duma,

- Miroslava shared a picture of the note on Instagram,

- both women had to issue a public apology,

- Miroslava has been removed from the board of brand The Tot (which she co-founded),

- Naomi re-posted the photo on her Instagram and wrote "This better not be real",

- Ulyana admitted it was a reference to a song by Kanye West and Jay-Z and she and her friends call themselves n****s because they want to look cool.

Thoughts?

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodencebt View Post
I'm more concerned about Miroslava's rant to be honest. Wow.
this. WAY worse for me. forget about whoever in Paris, this is much more troublesome and telling.
(she'll probably be fine in Russia though...)

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

Ulyana's "apology" was ridiculous. Both of them are cancelled.

24-01-2018
V.I.P.

Miroslava's thing is really wow! I mean, she is such an hypocrite. I know this is the fashion industry but she is beyond.
I kinda wish that one of those woman asked her about gay men. I mean, now we know she is transphobic and doesn't like men in womenswear (it's not like Bryan boy is wearing skirts or dresses) or i would say flamboyant guys.

I mean she used the words weird and pure. This is not a good look and i hope that she will be persona non-grata next Paris Fashion Week.

The bad thing is that she is russian, she probably doesn't care about it. It may hurt her international cachet but she will remain popular in her country. The same for her "N" friend the designer!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, behavior, designer, fashion, insiders, post, posting, read