Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] - Page 60 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

the man speaks his mind. i respect him for that.
I agree with him about the MeToo movement got out of hands and now just being ridiculous. I mean it's never been easier to destroy someone's reputation and career. you just have to open your phone, tweet that you were abused/attacked by person X Y Z and the world would turn on them without the need to have any evidence and proof.

I don't think Chanel would have any damage after this because let's be frank: Chanel doesn't need any celebrity dressed in Chanel to create hype to sell stuffs.

trendsetter

When it comes to the differences between the U.S. and France in the MeToo movement, I'll add that the "name and shame" is an aspect of the american culture that french people, especially from the same generation as Catherine Deneuve, find dangerous.
During the WW2, many citizens avenged grudges with neighbours or coworkers by sending letters to the Gestapo accusing them of illegal activities or resistance. As a result, Baby Boomers in France are particularly concerned by the idea that a public accusation on internet could ruin a person's life.
(It was unnecessary: the women who used the french hashtag rarely named the person who abused them, even though the wording of the hashtag encouraged them to.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
The other day, Karl was in a TV show with Rousteing, Marant and Jacquemus and i was even surprised that the host only asked fashion-related questions.
For those who want gossip about Anna Wintour : at one point, the interviewer mentioned a dinner organized by President Macron gathering 150 designers and creators. Lagarfeld said Wintour was delighted by the dinner despite the fact that she initially wanted to cancel and only went because the officials insisted for her to come. Marant replied to him that it was false and that Wintour wasn't even supposed to be invited. She added that Wintour actually pressured the american embassy in order to be invited, which made Rousteing gasp. They gossiped about that for a couple minutes, it was funny to watch

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomette View Post

For those who want gossip about Anna Wintour : at one point, the interviewer mentioned a dinner organized by President Macron gathering 150 designers and creators. Lagarfeld said Wintour was delighted by the dinner despite the fact that she initially wanted to cancel and only went because the officials insisted for her to come. Marant replied to him that it was false and that Wintour wasn't even supposed to be invited. She added that Wintour actually pressured the american embassy in order to be invited, which made Rousteing gasp. They gossiped about that for a couple minutes, it was funny to watch
No more Isabel Marant in US Vogue then. I need to see this, not because I question you, but because it sounds absolutely hilarious. Also Karl is supposed to be Anna's chum. Oh well, with friends in fashion who needs enemies?

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

The whole interview is here but the moment about Wintour is between 21'32" and 23'26". Even for those who don't understand french, seeing Isabel Marant when she talks about it is funny
(From what I understand, the event was held for creators but the presence of Anna Wintour forced them to invite other non-designers, like the editor in chief of the french Elle.)

1 Week Ago
fashion icon

The funniest thing about that was to see that Isabel was more concerned about hurting Karlís feelings than spilling the tea about Anna!
And Karl is trying his hardest to defend Anna.
Considering the Queen thing during LFW, I can totally believe Isabelís version.

As if someone of her stature would decline an invite at The Elysťe Palace.
I didnít saw Emmanuelle Alt on the various posts that night. I wonder if she was there...

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701

Iíve seen the interview translated. I canít say that he showed disdain but the questions are sensationalistic and when translated itís even weirder.

The part where is talking about Karl Templer comes as totally different from what can be understand in French.

Karl is intelligent and has a lot of knowledge even if sometimes he is making his dumb comments. Thatís why he is invited. He is a ę*bon client*Ľ.

But the translation of what Karl said about the models is so harsh in English. Pulled shouldnít have been the word use when looking at the whole sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl View Post
The tones in this translated interview are completely different to the original French. Whereas in the original French I raised eyebrows at some of his most scandalous comments, mainly those relating to the #MeToo movement, and perhaps chuckled when I knew he was obviously speaking in overtly-exaggerated French sarcasm about something else, the English translation is rage-inducing.

Thank you Lola and Growl, for sharing the French viewpoint about this type of interview and Karl's comments. In addition, sarcasm (if that what some of it was) is almost impossible to detect in written statements ... you can only pick it up from hearing and seeing it.

And I agree that the word "pulling" was a bit odd as the word of choice ... and that there is the possibility that it was not an inappropriate gesture, but a normal one. I was a stylist ... and yes, we tugged and pulled at garments, including underwear ... just to get everything to lay flat and unoticed. So ... unless I was there, I really don't know what happened.

I think I forgot that something is often lost in the translation ... and I think that it might not have been as bad as my "American" mind thinks it was. Thank you both for pointing that out.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I agree that the 'pulling on her skirt' comment was very misinterpreted - I don't believe that he was showing disdain for victims of sexual assault, just talking about how every accusation now can get so blown up. He is allowed to have an opinion about the movement. I was the biggest advocate of MeToo in the beginning until ridiculous stories like the one about Aziz came out and we were supposed to think that every bad date is assault.

In particular, in the context of fashion, many could see that MeToo was not necessarily a positive thing when that sh*tmodelmgmt list came out. A list compiled only from Instagram direct messages portraying many people in the industry as black-and-white sexual predators. Not only did no one have a chance to defend themselves, there was no explanation to any of the stories. That isn't progressive and positive. It is unjust, unfair and could have caused irreparable damage to a few innocent people.

In my opinion, the movement has gotten to a point where it is often insulting for actual victims of sexual assault. So although most of the things he says are downright ridiculous and cringe worthy, I think many empathetic and rational people could understand how someone could be fed up.

Last edited by dsamg; 1 Week Ago at 08:16 AM.
1 Week Ago
windowshopping

I find the response to the Aziz story so disappointing, as if rape is the only assault people are 'allowed' to feel bad about. The woman who came forward spoke about telling him 'no' and gave indications she was uncomfortable with his behaviour, but according to many she deserved it because she went up to his flat. That's not a 'bad date'- that's harassment and the fact people can't or refuse to see that is why it needs to be discussed. No one deserves to be treated that way no matter the circumstance. I feel enormous respect and empathy for all those who have came forward and hope the MeToo movement continues to prosper, no matter who may try to discredit it.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
I am not sure why you are so triggered. He is right. I am fed up with metoo also. This thing is beyond ridiculous.
I find this comment so baffling. How can one be 'fed up' with #metoo? What, exactly, is ridiculous about people standing up against rapists/molesters/sexual harassers, and the abuse of power?

1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
I find this comment so baffling. How can one be 'fed up' with #metoo? What, exactly, is ridiculous about people standing up against rapists/molesters/sexual harassers, and the abuse of power?
In principle, everyone agrees that this is a positive shift.

However, the movement has been handled very poorly. As one user correctly pointed out, all it takes is someone to log onto twitter, draft up an accusation and the accused is immediately guilty - regardless of whether or not it is true. I always hear the argument ďwhy would anyone lie about being abused?Ē Itís a fair enough question, but it shows a naive and shallow understanding of how dark, twisted and venegful people can be. People spread rumors all the time with clear intentions of doing serious reputation damage...out of revenge, spite, scorn, unhappiness...human psychology is extremely complex, people. That kind of rumor mill isnít something exclusive to the elementary school playground. I am by no means saying every accusation is false, of course.

The court of public opinion rarely cares for evidence - instead, theyíre happy to add another name to the list and slap each other on the backs for another job well done...Ēwe caught another one!Ē

Thatís all fine and well when you happen to agree with the movementís aims...but consider when another movement inevitably gains momentum in the future, one you may vehemently disagree with. What happens when you find yourself on the receiving end of an accusation and you are in a position in which neither the identity of your accuser or the evidence is revealed. You simply wake up one day and youíre on the front page. Thereís no possible way to defend yourself. Youíre ruined.

Yes. Those who have suffered abuse also have their lives ruined. The critique of #metoo is not about belittling victims or defending abusers. The critique of #metoo is that the safeguards of the legal system (the concept of innocent until proven guilty, the right to a fair trial, the right to face your accuser, the need for evidence, etc.) are being thrown out the window. These safeguards are meant to protect the innocent...both the wrongfuly abused and the falsely accused. Many accusations are clearly true - but the only way we can concsluively say they are true is with evidence and proper trials (ie, Harvey Weinstein and the details of the New Yorker article). But without evidence and investigation, we cannot, with any clear conscious, say we know for sure the truth.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 AM.
1 Week Ago
#Resist

I don't think anyone is saying that criticism of this or any movement is unwarranted or disallowed. It's the throwing the baby out with the bath water that I, and I think some others, object to. "Someone told one story I didn't think fit the #metoo model, so I'm sick of the whole movement." Right ... let's go back to the way things were, where women and men tell their stories and aren't believed, and the powerful and perverted continue to get away with their sh!t. Is that what people mean when they say they're fed up, or make statements that attempt to discredit the entire movement? It must be, right?

The possibility of an inaccurate accusation is nothing new. An accusation of child sexual abuse, even if later proved untrue (super difficult to do, obviously), can ruin someone's whole life and business. That has been true for a long time.

1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

I donít think youíre understanding what Iím saying.

If we all want to claim concern for the innocent...we have to be equally as concerned for the wrongfully abused as we are for the falsely accused. Both are as innocent as the other. Conversely, those who consciously falsely accuse are as guilty as those who knowingly abuse.

Furthermore...your response is also so indicative of the general attitude I speak of that is so troubling...in essence; ďyouíre allowed to critique....BUT HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE!Ē So which is it? Also, your supposition that anyoneís distaste for #metoo is based on someoneís ďstory I didnít think fit the #metoo modelĒ is also missing the point. Itís about these accusations being properly evidenced and investigated and if necessary, being brought to a fair trial. An accusation debuted on Twitter is simply not gonna cut it for me. And it shouldnít cut it for you, either.

Human nature has really not evolved all that much. The lessons of history are clearly hard learned, if retained at all. Lest we forget not that long ago in the scope of human history, women were burned at the stake for even the most casual of claims that she was a witch. Now some women are essentially burning men at the stake with as little evidence as those who once called them witches. (Again, I have to reclarify; those who ARE guilty should face justice)

Anyone of principle should be able to see that when safeguards to protect the innocent are thrown out to expidite punishment that affirms your ideology, it is extremely dangerous and, as history always proves, the tables will eventually turn, and you will, at some point, so desperately wish you were afforded those same safeguards you were so willing to do away not all that long before.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 1 Week Ago at 01:23 PM.
1 Week Ago
fashion icon

I think that some people also needs to understand that different culture or education means different reaction.
I feel like in the US, calling out someone, see him lose his job is enough.

For me, I donít think it helps anything. This is the problem with popular justice, itís all very superficial. The goal is to change peopleís behavior.

Thatís exactly why people are kinda seeing the MeToo movement with a different eye. No one has been incarcerated, judged, punished in a legal way.

Ok Testino, Richardson, Weber and Demarchelier are not working but they are still rich, they are still enjoying their lives and iím sure a lot of people are supporting them on the low.

So, whatís the point of this whole thing? Those are big industries with big personalities. Iím sure itís worse in some regular companies were women or man dared to talk...

Itís very surface-based and itís what I regret the most. And now i see that Mariah Careyís ex-manager might sue her for sexual harrassement because she was naked in front of her? Come on!

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithV View Post
I find the response to the Aziz story so disappointing, as if rape is the only assault people are 'allowed' to feel bad about. The woman who came forward spoke about telling him 'no' and gave indications she was uncomfortable with his behaviour, but according to many she deserved it because she went up to his flat. That's not a 'bad date'- that's harassment and the fact people can't or refuse to see that is why it needs to be discussed. No one deserves to be treated that way no matter the circumstance. I feel enormous respect and empathy for all those who have came forward and hope the MeToo movement continues to prosper, no matter who may try to discredit it.
Actually she did not say no at all, she just went along with it. She's not a child, she was on a date, people will try it on, so what? Context is everything. She could have just stood up and left. Like most women have been doing all their lives. At no point was she in any way under any sort of duress. Actually, the way she tell the story makes him sound ridiculous and curiously harmless, so do not be surprised that people took a dim view of the fact she wants to be seen as a victim.

I think the MeToo movement was a watershed moment, it was hugely important, and a game changer, now it is diluted beyond recognition and the noise around it is so intense that in my opinion it just lost it's way, but I'm always suspicious of people in the public eye that go out of their way to criticise it. There is nothing to gain from it.

I find Karl funny in a way, he's totally unable to see that it is exactly because he is a fossil that he gets away with saying the most outrageous things. No one can muster any spark to be properly offended.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I hear all the the time people who are critical of the #metoo movement and even before that bring this argument that if victims of sexual abuse are finally heard and believed, ultimately society will collapse because people will get wrongfully accused left and right. But I really need to ask: Where are these cases? Where are all these evil, vengeful women coming out of the woodwork to destroy the lives of oh so innocent men? Can anyone give a case of a woman jumping on twitter, crafting a made up abuse story and successfully achieving the demise of a man? The way some say it, we would be getting one of those every other day. The closest one could argue is the Aziz case which a) he confirmed the account b) never framed him as an abuser and c) like a member commented above, just because he didn't rape doesn't mean his behavior wasn't right.

In the fashion industry, all the recent accusations of misconduct were not brought up by some random on social media. They were carefully investigated by respected journalists of The New York Times and The Boston Globe, who not only did background checks to verify the accounts, but came with a string of different accusers from different periods of time all telling the same story, and painting a clear pattern behavior of those men.

But if you would only be convinced of the guilt of these men if a judge in a trial says so, you're hilariously naive about the scary flaws and bias of the judiciary system, or you just don't really care about the victim. Do you have any idea how many times women have braved themselves to speak up and seek justice, and got nothing? That even when they every evidence possible, the (white) men still gets off the hook? - the Brock Turner case always comes to mind. Then add on top of that if the men is rich and/or famous. You are rarely the winner. You are rarely believed.

Trust me, there's no joy in claiming to be a sexual assault victim. It's not something you do because all the cool kids are doing it, or because your ex-boyfriend broke your heart. When someone speak up, listen to them and let them be the innocent until proven guilty, not the accused.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, behavior, designer, fashion, insiders, post, posting, read