How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2011
V.I.P.

^The problem is that some people were offended because they tried to make Crystal look Asian when she's not. In my opinion,this wasn't the intention and as many members have stated above this is just a technique to make your eyes wider and in Crystal's case,to cover her 'problem'.

04-09-2011
trendsetter

Talk about exaggeration, now days ppl make big deals out of any insignificant thing.

04-09-2011
fashion elite

Some people don't think this is insignificant, especially coming from a magazine that rarely celebrates the beauty of it's native inhabitants. I'd say that fact alone makes this very significant.

V.I.P.

I understand the whole "if you want an asian look get an asian model" idea, the same with models with dark makeup resembling black people. But what if they wanted Crystal Renn looking asian? or "insert white model name" looking black? it´s not the same as hiring an asian or black model. I don´t see anything wrong with using certain racial characteristics in aesthetic ways of presenting certain fashions... I never hear any uproar when asian girls glue their eyelids in order to have western eyes but it always seems the fashion world is disrespecful of races and cultures when it´s the other way around.

05-09-2011
An die Freude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
I understand the whole "if you want an asian look get an asian model" idea, the same with models with dark makeup resembling black people. But what if they wanted Crystal Renn looking asian? or "insert white model name" looking black? it´s not the same as hiring an asian or black model. I don´t see anything wrong with using certain racial characteristics in aesthetic ways of presenting certain fashions... I never hear any uproar when asian girls glue their eyelids in order to have western eyes but it always seems the fashion world is disrespecful of races and cultures when it´s the other way around.
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not like they are making fun of the Asian race or something.

That's like saying women shouldn't be styled androgynous or masculine - because you could hire a male model.

If they have a certain look in mind for the editorial and want to style a model like Crystal with her unique features that way, no problem for me.

07-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Some people accused you of trying to make Crystal Renn look Asian for an upcoming spread in Vogue Nippon. Is that what you were trying to do when you taped her eyes?

Anna Dello Russo: It was not to make her look Asian. That’s a typical beauty trick to make a cinematographic eye. I learned this from a makeup artist from Hollywood movie stars. He used this when he did something in a movie, to make a little bit of a kind of cinematographic eyes. SO many people asked me, “Why you don’t use Japanese?” I don’t want to use Japanese. She was looking like … like Sophia Loren. You know when you put eyeliner, eyelash. And she loved that.

Behind the scenes, you always want to create some dialiectic in your fashion. That’s why I put the behind the scenes what make people talking. But sometimes people talk about something crazy, just to make a little heavy. I don’t pretend to transform a European girl into a Japanese girl. This was just a beauty tips.
styleite.com

07-09-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Some people don't think this is insignificant, especially coming from a magazine that rarely celebrates the beauty of it's native inhabitants. I'd say that fact alone makes this very significant.
I can see why some people would think it's significant that they rarely use Japanese models. I can't see how it's significant that they wanted Crystal Renn's two eyes to look the same size or used a blatantly common makeup technique.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
crystal, eyes, japanese, renn, taped, vogue