How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2012
scenester

I can easily see how this type of thing in the fashion world would rub people the wrong way and I can just as easily see how certain people would never link these truly hideous earring with anything remotely related to racial and social injustice. What irks me, however, is the fact that a lot designers/fashion houses continually refuse to put women of color on their runway. Now that's something that is more tangible to me rather than an ambiguous piece of 'art' that is open to all avenues conjecture and speculation.

26-09-2012
fashion elite

I think the potato sack would make a batter scandal to be honest...

26-09-2012
fashion insider

How were there no models of colour? I'm sure a saw several Asian models.

They probably should remove the earrings from the collection for PR, I think this thing with connecting Aunt Jemima and slavery and ill intentions is too much. Call me ignorant, but Aunt Jemima has always been the syrup lady to me.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen6693 View Post
I honestly think this is someone trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
So if it was a white doll, then it wouldn't be racist, but because it's a black doll now it's racist?
I tbh, don't see anything wrong with those earrings.
Yes, if it was a white doll, it would not be racist, because there is no history of white dolls being used to demean and make fun of white stereotypes.

26-09-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianSoFine View Post
How were there no models of colour? I'm sure a saw several Asian models.

They probably should remove the earrings from the collection for PR, I think this thing with connecting Aunt Jemima and slavery and ill intentions is too much. Call me ignorant, but Aunt Jemima has always been the syrup lady to me.
You're right, I counted 8 Asian models (thank you for making me go through every single look in this collection all over again btw, lol , but there was still plenty of room for some African and latin models in this huge show, plus using only Asian models as the single minorities in the show makes it seem like even more of a token, as if they were the minority models du jour (oh wait a minute, sadly, that's exactly what they are)

27-09-2012
V.I.P.

I can kind of see why those earrings would be considered scandalous. I took some class during my freshman year of college and my professor made us watch some video about the history of images and advertisements that poked fun at African Americans. In that video, I remember seeing clearly images on posters and other items from the past that resemble the earrings shown on the runway. The only exception is that the video mentioned and showcased how African Americans and their facial features were exaggerated in order to poke fun at them and to showcase how gawky they are, which is absolutely unfortunate and vile that people could do that. Literally, the images of African Americans consisted of either their noses or lips being exaggerated. Idk, but I feel Americans would definitely find this a bit racist.

V.I.P.

Although the models of color debate is a different issue, it doesn't give them much of an alibi, and it makes this situation look bad even in light of full ignorance of the dolls' history... Which is pretty hard to believe. In fact, it's more likely that they saw such caricature dolls and thought they were whimsical, not caring whether anyone was offended simply because they weren't... Apathy, in a word. Of course, it's a presumption on the designers' parts, but it mirrors the way a lot of the public tends to react. Lack of malicious ill-intent does not necessarily mean lack of blame...

27-09-2012
tfs star

Agreed, jennifer. Although, to be perfectly honest, I don't know how anyone could look at Aunt Jemima and think that image would in any way be aesthetically pleasing, trendy, innovative, or whatever the hell they thought they were doing when they decided to make these earrings.

As for those who don't understand why it's "such a big deal" or "offensive," it's because not only does Aunt Jemima represent an incredibly insulting and romanticized view of slavery (I mean, what black woman of that time didn't love being forced to look after the children of their oppressors while neglecting their own?), but it's the origin of the Mammy stereotype--an obese, uneducated, sexless maternal figure whose sole reason for existence is to be at the beck and call of her white "employers." Look no further than Gone With the Wind, Imitation of Life, and even as recently as The Help.

I doubt Dolce & Gabbana intended to say, "Slavery was great, let's celebrate it!" But I still think they were being pretty careless if not woefully indifferent in this case. It's pretty hard to ignore the history and implications behind an image like that, particularly one so famous.

Last edited by chickadee; 27-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.
27-09-2012
V.I.P.

This mammy memorabilia is all over the south in America...there's even a huge restaurant in Louisiana built into the shape of a mammy, but in the north it's not cool. I've heard it's also very "in" in Haiti and Cuba. Nevertheless, I don't know why anyone at Dolce would think this was a good idea. Really? All "yes" people around...what's going on?

27-09-2012
chaos reigns

I highly recommend the " The Use of Cultural Appropriation in Fashion" thread on the "Fashion In depth" forums.

There someone mentioned something along the lines "Is there any culture which is safe from fashion appropriation?" which to me, was genius.

About the scandal. Those heads are moorish. I know this scandal will hit big in the US regardless of what D&G say because over there the news think that the world revolve around then them and their history (which is not the case, its sicilian inspired .. still it may seem racist, but the US clearly was not in mind)

Find the article explaining it here:

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/09/...ry-inspiration

V.I.P.

A sincere question to the authors of these articles - why do they just offhandedly mention they're modeled on Moors but then focus on the "parallel" between Aunt Jemima dolls and the issue of slavery? It's a very simple step to just Google and find out that there is no connection at all between these things. Not only does the term 'Moors' not exlusively refer to Africans (although there is great debate about this) but it's not even from the same time period as the issue of slavery. Not to mention that Moors were never slaves but indeed very powerful and made a big impact on European history (especially Spain).

Do I wish they didn't use this? Yes. They're internationally famous designers so with these sort of things it's always better to be safe than sorry. I can't speak to their intent but it probably wasn't meant in the way most people are taking it due to the misinformation what the inspiration behind this was and as it's quite a normal thing in Italy (and even in my country in parts which are heavily populated by people of Italian descent) to have Moors on jewelry such as earrings, brooches etc. People are of course allowed to still be offended and think it's wrong as long as they're making that judgement based on the correct facts.

Last edited by fadedcolours; 27-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
27-09-2012
backstage pass

Right, be can depicts Latins, Italians, et cetera as "exotic" and nobody blinks an eye. I think people are hyper-sensitive. I honestly see nothing wrong with this; it is a Sicilian culture thing. My grandparents have these statues in their house and on their lawn...NBD here...And, ironically, I thought the casting was diverse. You don't see many African American models on runways in general. Please, don't single out D&G b/c. they had something culturally based on their runway. There was indeed lot's of Asians, which most designer don't do at all, ever...

God Save McQueen

^It may be no big deal to you, but people are obviously offended by it so some may consider it a big deal.

In briefly reading about the blackamoor sculptures, they seem to have a lot in common with the American Lawn Jockey, which is deeply rooted in American racism.

27-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
^It may be no big deal to you, but people are obviously offended by it so some may consider it a big deal.

In briefly reading about the blackamoor sculptures, they seem to have a lot in common with the American Lawn Jockey, which is deeply rooted in American racism.
And I don't deny that fact, hence the "NBD here"...

tfs star

I find it dismissive and diminishing whenever people say somebody is being "hyper-sensitive" as if they shouldn't feel what they're feeling. It seems to me decidedly insensitive to reduce an involuntary emotional response to illegitimacy because you personally don't find it offensive or because it's culturally acceptable in one place. Don't misunderstand, I'm not calling you as a person insensitive Tiancouture, but maybe consider the other side's perspective just a little bit more. This may be alright in Sicily, but I have a hard time finding the pictures on this model's shirt totally innocuous.

colorlines.com

The exaggerated lips and nose? Come on. The bottom line is this theme was a bad idea. They knew, they had to know--unless D&G has begun hiring five-year-olds to work for them--that some people would not respond well to this and might provoke some type of controversy. I almost wonder if they wanted controversy. I just find it hard to believe it never crossed their mind with all their American clients. Sicilian-inspired or not, somebody had to at least wonder, if only briefly, that this might not go over well particularly in regions with a history of slavery or black oppression, even beyond America. The Dominican Republic, Haiti, hell, what about Britain with all its African immigrants? My point is they are not blameless. I just don't buy this as some honest mistake that people are blowing out of proportion.

Last edited by Psylocke; 28-09-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added image source
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dolce, earring, gabbana, racist, scandal