How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2014
V.I.P.

Dylan Farrow (daughter of Mia Farrow) accuses Woody Allen of sexual abuse
On another note, I've mainly avoided this material on this thread, since it's meant to be about his work primarily, there are some recent pieces on Allen's life that people might want to read. "The Daily Beast" article is illuminating in terms of misconceptions; it's written by the director of the recent documentary on Allen's work, so he's coming from a well-researched place:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-so-fast.html

The "Criticwire" article responds to recent allegations and news items and asks people where they stand. The comments are worth reading in addition to the article:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwir...ow-open-letter

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 03-02-2014 at 07:08 AM.

02-02-2014
backstage pass

^ Adding to the allegations is Cate Blanchett's and Alec Baldwin's response:

http://www.justjared.com/2014/02/02/...s-open-letter/

02-02-2014
fashion insider

I think if we post those articles, it's important to post Dylan Farrow's very harrowing op-ed. I find the Daily Beast article problematic as it uses Mia Farrow's actions as a way to discredit the claims against Allen and that makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Trigger Warning

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-dylan-farrow/

This article I think is also interesting as it shows the danger in attempts to undermine Dylan's brave account.

http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/zungu...ens-good-name/

02-02-2014
fashion insider

I find it difficult to acknowledge the fact that I adored Blue Jasmine and Midnight in Paris in light of these allegations. I know in theory separating art from the artist can be achieved but I find it difficult to understand my own position as a member of the audience who truly loved these films despite it being created by someone I despise and completely disagree with. This then poses the question, is art worth that much that it negates all human cost? Is enjoying an artist's talent worth ignoring the plight of those people they leave behind? I think what I'm trying to say is that this event raises bigger questions about the position of the artist and what they are allowed to do.

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 02-02-2014 at 06:40 PM.
02-02-2014
V.I.P.

^ I have read those; thanks for posting Pixie. Remember that what someone creates, they put out into the world. I have written stories that have absolutely nothing to do with me. So if you like someone's art, it doesn't mean you support them in their personal actions. I love Picasso too, and he was horrible to the women in his life. There are just so many examples of this that you'd have to boycott half the art out there. Humans - not just artists - do bad things. Sometimes they do bad things and create great art. Sometimes they do good things and create nothing. This is a reflection of our flawed humanity. It's not a reflection of how good or bad you are as a person if you like a piece of art.

I'd say anyone should read "The Daily Beast" piece though. It's illuminating.

Thanks Rose n Toast. Baldwin, as usual, does not mince words.

I really do believe this is NOT an issue especially for tweets, and I agree with Baldwin about that, but it's a shame it's being aired out in places like "the daily beast", "vanity fair" or the "new york times".

I also believe it has nothing to do with his work being honoured at the GG's either. But that's my take.

This matter should be between the family and the court, and like Cate Blanchett I wish nothing but personal peace for all of the family.

Moses Farrow is no longer associating with Mia (he feels he was brainwashed) and is now friendly with Woody and Soon-Yi again. He's a photographer; you can see his work here:

http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/moses+farrow/all

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 02-02-2014 at 06:46 PM.
02-02-2014
fashion insider

^ I think it's difficult that is for sure. Obviously I do not know you personally but you seem like a nice person. If I were to read your stories I can't imagine I would have to separate you, as the author, from them as there is nothing wrong with you or what you have done.
Also my mind knows that my enjoyment of his films is not me endorsing his disgusting actions but it's like my heart thinks differently, as cheesy as that sound.

I think if we did start holding more of our artists to account for moral transgressions, perhaps society as a whole would stop being so lenient to those who carry out sexual offences and treat people appallingly. It's a very thin line. What makes artists so above being prosecuted? If a Doctor or a Teacher did something like Allen is being accused of, they would be fired and action would be taken. Why is a director not?

Again, I'm slightly weary of trying to discredit Dylan Farrow's account because I am aware of the bravery it takes to speak out about abuse. I can't imagine the courage it took to speak out against a powerful man like Woody. Also accounts of courts throwing out her claims don't really stand as the law treats sex abuse victims shockingly bad.

Moses may have discredited Mia, but her other children haven't. Ronan Farrow seems like a very clever, well grounded young man and that is down to Mia's parenting.

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 02-02-2014 at 06:59 PM.
02-02-2014
V.I.P.

I understand your concerns. I have some doubts about what really happened. It's a complicated issue and there are grey areas. Other children were estranged from Mia and at least one died of a drug overdose. Anyhow, I'll leave it at that. "The Daily Beast" article made me uncomfortable in other ways.

Just trying to say, don't beat yourself up about liking a few of his films, OR if it's really bothering you, boycott them maybe?

p.s. thanks awww. you seem like a nice person too!

p.p.s. we would have to start holding a lot of people to their moral transgressions, not just artists, but politicians, preachers/popes, doctors, businesses executives, the list never ends.many powerful people get away with horrible things. and many not powerful people too! we are a very flawed species! ALAS.

p.p.p.s. accused vs convicted is different. i know it is a shaky distinction, but it's an important one. have you watched "the hunt"? it's freaky but really fits in this discussion at least for some of the issues it raises. it makes us think.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 02-02-2014 at 07:11 PM.
02-02-2014
fashion insider

I think I'm gonna have to read into it a bit more. The true victims are the children I think. I have my problems with Mia as well but they are not as severe as my problems with Woody but neither are the victims of this.

I'm not going to watch his films anymore. I had managed to get to a point where I acknowledged I disagreed with him but I could watch his films but I don't think I can justify it anymore. In a perverse way I'm glad I got to see Blue Jasmine before all this came out though. It is one heck of a film.

02-02-2014
V.I.P.

Yeah, you have to follow your heart, and if it makes you uncomfortable, why put yourself through it.

It is worth reading about and I agree with you, that above all, it was the children who were at the centre of this. I definitely think Mia is culpable too. It's weird for example that she approved the use of a clip with her in it for the Woody Allen tribute at the GG's! Why would she do that and then tweet about the indignity of the whole tribute? it's very confusing. Arrrgh.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 02-02-2014 at 07:15 PM.
02-02-2014
tfs star

Dylan Farrow (daughter of Mia Farrow) accuses Woody Allen of sexual abuse
*Don't know how this is not a topic yet*

Quote:
(A note from Nicholas Kristof: In 1993, accusations that Woody Allen had abused his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, filled the headlines, part of a sensational story about the celebrity split between Allen and his girlfriend, Mia Farrow. This is a case that has been written about endlessly, but this is the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public. It’s important to note that Woody Allen was never prosecuted in this case and has consistently denied wrongdoing; he deserves the presumption of innocence. So why publish an account of an old case on my blog? Partly because the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen ignited a debate about the propriety of the award. Partly because the root issue here isn’t celebrity but sex abuse. And partly because countless people on all sides have written passionately about these events, but we haven’t fully heard from the young woman who was at the heart of them. I’ve written a column about this, but it’s time for the world to hear Dylan’s story in her own words.)

What’s your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house. He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me. He talked to me while he did it, whispering that I was a good girl, that this was our secret, promising that we’d go to Paris and I’d be a star in his movies. I remember staring at that toy train, focusing on it as it traveled in its circle around the attic. To this day, I find it difficult to look at toy trains.

For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like. I didn’t like how often he would take me away from my mom, siblings and friends to be alone with him. I didn’t like it when he would stick his thumb in my mouth. I didn’t like it when I had to get in bed with him under the sheets when he was in his underwear. I didn’t like it when he would place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out. I would hide under beds or lock myself in the bathroom to avoid these encounters, but he always found me. These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal. I thought this was how fathers doted on their daughters. But what he did to me in the attic felt different. I couldn’t keep the secret anymore.

When I asked my mother if her dad did to her what Woody Allen did to me, I honestly did not know the answer. I also didn’t know the firestorm it would trigger. I didn’t know that my father would use his sexual relationship with my sister to cover up the abuse he inflicted on me. I didn’t know that he would accuse my mother of planting the abuse in my head and call her a liar for defending me. I didn’t know that I would be made to recount my story over and over again, to doctor after doctor, pushed to see if I’d admit I was lying as part of a legal battle I couldn’t possibly understand. At one point, my mother sat me down and told me that I wouldn’t be in trouble if I was lying – that I could take it all back. I couldn’t. It was all true. But sexual abuse claims against the powerful stall more easily. There were experts willing to attack my credibility. There were doctors willing to gaslight an abused child.

After a custody hearing denied my father visitation rights, my mother declined to pursue criminal charges, despite findings of probable cause by the State of Connecticut – due to, in the words of the prosecutor, the fragility of the “child victim.” Woody Allen was never convicted of any crime. That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself. That torment was made worse by Hollywood. All but a precious few (my heroes) turned a blind eye. Most found it easier to accept the ambiguity, to say, “who can say what happened,” to pretend that nothing was wrong. Actors praised him at awards shows. Networks put him on TV. Critics put him in magazines. Each time I saw my abuser’s face – on a poster, on a t-shirt, on television – I could only hide my panic until I found a place to be alone and fall apart.

Last week, Woody Allen was nominated for his latest Oscar. But this time, I refuse to fall apart. For so long, Woody Allen’s acceptance silenced me. It felt like a personal rebuke, like the awards and accolades were a way to tell me to shut up and go away. But the survivors of sexual abuse who have reached out to me – to support me and to share their fears of coming forward, of being called a liar, of being told their memories aren’t their memories – have given me a reason to not be silent, if only so others know that they don’t have to be silent either.

Today, I consider myself lucky. I am happily married. I have the support of my amazing brothers and sisters. I have a mother who found within herself a well of fortitude that saved us from the chaos a predator brought into our home.

But others are still scared, vulnerable, and struggling for the courage to tell the truth. The message that Hollywood sends matters for them.

What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?

Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse.

So imagine your seven-year-old daughter being led into an attic by Woody Allen. Imagine she spends a lifetime stricken with nausea at the mention of his name. Imagine a world that celebrates her tormenter.

Are you imagining that? Now, what’s your favorite Woody Allen movie?
source: The New York Times

Definitely on her side here. And I think it's indicative of the kind of sick, monstrous culture Hollywood breeds that so few (including my former favorite Cate Blanchett) are willing to speak out against him, and so many are still tripping over themselves to work with him. smh

02-02-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust1603 View Post
I think if we post those articles, it's important to post Dylan Farrow's very harrowing op-ed. I find the Daily Beast article problematic as it uses Mia Farrow's actions as a way to discredit the claims against Allen and that makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Trigger Warning

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-dylan-farrow/

This article I think is also interesting as it shows the danger in attempts to undermine Dylan's brave account.

http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/zungu...ens-good-name/
Thank you so much for this. The Daily Beast article is incredibly biased and nauseating. I just posted this in the Rumor Has It section, but since it's here it might get deleted. I'll leave it to mods to decide.

02-02-2014
tfs star

I don't think I can edit my last comment, but it's difficult to separate the art from the artist in Woody's case because he is such a pervasive and inescapable presence in his own art. He has written, directed, and starred in so many of his own films. And it's not just that, but the fact that if you look at quite a few of them closely they mimic his life rather uncomfortably. Obviously Blue Jasmine is meant to be a modernization of A Streetcar Named Desire, but it's difficult to ignore how closely the film mirrors his own life and his relationship with Mia.

I just don't know how anyone can side with Woody in this case. Yes, none of us was there, but to me, defending Woody is akin to saying Dylan is lying. Even if she is lying, I'd always rather stand with the victim than the accused. I also think it's worth it to say that false accusations are extremely rare. You're more likely to be hit by a asteroid than falsely accused of rape. I also don't know why people keep bringing Mia into this. It has nothing to do with her unless you're of the belief that she "poisoned her children against Woody" which would play into his own misogynistic narrative about her being a "vengeful lover." I seriously doubt anybody who's had Frank Sinatra is desperate for some more Woody Allen. Please.

02-02-2014
V.I.P.

Ack, I feel like I have made a mistake. This thread is supposed to be about his work and I've started a firestorm by including a couple of links about what's been in the news lately, which has led to more links and more links. Sigh.... it was not my intent.

As for where we each stand, I would hope we can leave personal judgment about posters here out of it. I respect each and everyone of your opinions and I really can see the different points of view here.

Sorry for opening this can of worms.

02-02-2014
backstage pass

I hope the family is able to work through the situation peacefully and quietly.

Whilst I do respect Dylan's bravery in posting the article, (and I by no means wish to come across as on Woody's side - I'd like to think I'm more sympathetic towards Dylan) I'm not sure if asking Cate, Alec, Emma and co. their opinion is the best way to go about it. It's a family matter, there is no need to involve more people than necessary.

The issue does open up the dilemma of how to differentiate a person's work from the personal affairs.

02-02-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose n Toast View Post
I hope the family is able to work through the situation peacefully and quietly.

Whilst I do respect Dylan's bravery in posting the article, (and I by no means wish to come across as on Woody's side - I'd like to think I'm more sympathetic towards Dylan) I'm not sure if asking Cate, Alec, Emma and co. their opinion is the best way to go about it. It's a family matter, there is no need to involve more people than necessary.

The issue does open up the dilemma of how to differentiate a person's work from the personal affairs.
I definitely see what you're saying, but this is precisely why I think it is more than just a family matter. Cheating spouses is a family matter. Divorce is a family matter. Choosing to raise your children Christian, Muslim, atheist, whatever else, that's a family matter. But sexual abuse is abhorrent, and the way society deals with it and responds to it is indicative I think of how healthy we are. And if well-established actors, who don't even need his films to further their careers, are willing to overlook even the
hint of something as monstrous as child sexual abuse associated with the name of a director, just for the sake of prestige or saying I worked with so-and-so, then that's a problem.

That's why I thought it was worth discussing here because even though Dylan's letter has been out since yesterday, she's only had a handful of people in Hollywood publicly support her. Most people are ignoring/dismissing her.

Last edited by chickadee; 02-02-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abuse, accuses, allen, daughter, dylan, farrow, mia, sexual, woody