How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2010
V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson Eats Endangered Rhinoceros Horn
Elle Macpherson has told the Times Of London that she eats powdered rhinoceros horn:
Witter: You're said to be a great fan of Chinese medicine. What does powdered rhino horn taste like? E MacP: A little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though.
Witter: How do you know that it works? A lot of people say Chinese medicine is quackery.
E MacP: Put it this way, works for me.

Some think rhino horn can reduce fever, detect poison and act as an aphrodisiac. However, according to preservation site Mongabay.com, "rhino horn has no curative properties." In fact, the rhino slowly dies after the horn is removed and four of its five species are endangered.
That, and it's pricey. Powdered rhino horn goes for $60,000 per kilo.

huffingtonpost via times online

06-07-2010
In Bloom

Uhm. WTF? Let the rhinos be, Elle

we were in love

06-07-2010
fashion icon

Why can't she eat non-endangered Rhinos like normal people!

V.I.P.

Doesn't she live in London? Isn't it illegal? Should be investigated.

06-07-2010
backstage pass

Thats just nasty

V.I.P.

i think it should be investigated as well.

its reprehensible. in the begining of the interview she talks about how she only drinks fair trade coffee. has she no sense of irony?

little soul

She also boycotted Nobu for serving blue fish tuna which is also extremely rare and rapidly being wiped out Hateful woman Am I missing something? Because I can't see anything in the comment which suggests she didn't know what she was eating?

Quote:
ELLE Macpherson has apologised for appearing to advocate the use of powdered rhino horn, a traditional Chinese medicine that is banned worldwide.
During a recent interview with The Sunday Times Magazine, the Australian model said that she had tasted rhino horn and that it had done the job.
Her comments were condemned by animal rights activists, more so because Macpherson had publicly boycotted a posh London restaurant for serving bluefin tuna, an animal that is as endangered as the white rhino.
However, the model told news.com.au today that she had "never knowingly consumed or encouraged the use or consumption of any products which contain material derived from endangered species".

She said that she regreted "any distress or offence that her banter with an interviewer might have caused".
Macpherson, 47, who is in Britain hosting the TV show Britain's Next Top Model, said that although she had great respect for Chinese medicine she was "fundamentally opposed to any activity which is detrimental to the protection of endangered animals".Rhino horns sell for up to $60,000 a kilo, and has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine to cure a variety of ailments including fevers, pain, arthritis and a host of other serious diseases. The World Wildlife Fund says rhino poaching worldwide hit a 15-year high in 2009, driven by the demand for rhino horn products. The International Fund for Animal Welfare said that it was so shocked by the supermodel's comments that it had prepared an information package to send to her to educate her on the plight of the rhino and the use of alternative traditional medicines."Elle has been a successful businesswoman with a high public profile for decades and people do listen to what she says," said spokeswoman Erica Martin.

The Elle interview
The Sunday Times You’re said to be a great fan of Chinese medicine. What does powdered rhino horn taste like?
Elle Macpherson A little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though.
The Sunday Times How do you know that it works? A lot of people say Chinese medicine is quackery.
Macpherson Put it this way, works for me.
news.com.au

V.I.P.

why would anyone want to eat it in the first place? it would be like eating crunched up fingernails.

on the come up

Hey, who said Chinese medicine was quackery?!!

06-07-2010
tfs star

make sure you know what you're putting on your plate before you pass judgement.

06-07-2010
chaos reigns

Even though I absolutely do not support MacPhersons eating habits ... it seems a bit annoying that papers and news and tabloids pretend people to be 100% politically correct NO ONE is that good .. blah!

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
Even though I absolutely do not support MacPhersons eating habits ... it seems a bit annoying that papers and news and tabloids pretend people to be 100% politically correct NO ONE is that good .. blah!
"Not politically correct" is a lot of things, but tiger's bone and rhino horn are horrific. Tigers and rhinos will probably be extinct in our lifetime. I'm not sure how she can be so insanely stupid.

jezebel.com

06-07-2010
fashion insider

Mostly everyone in fashion likes wearing fur, why can't Elle eat some powdered Rhinoceros Horn?

V.I.P.

This thread is hilarious. And Elle is an idiot for saying / doing that.

07-07-2010
fashion insider

On one hand its sad cause its endangered.

On the other hand it annoys me that others culturre is potrayed as savagery while the western thought is supposed to be ideal and just.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eats, elle, endangered, horn, macpherson, rhinoceros