"Fashion and Religion" rumored to be the theme for MET Gala 2018 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-08-2017
fashion elite

"Fashion and Religion" rumored to be the theme for MET Gala 2018
Since it hasn't been confirmed yet by the museum I decided to post it in the Rumor has it... thread.

Quote:
The theme of next year's Met Gala has been revealed. According to WWD, 2018's exhibition will be focused around 'Fashion and Religion'.

Although the museum has not confirmed the rumours, WWD reports that multiple sources close the Met ‚€“ including a number who have been privy to preliminary discussions ‚€“ have revealed the news.

While planning for the exhibition is very much in the early stages, sources say that the "serious and ambitious" project was thought up long ago.

Numerous designers including Dolce & Gabbana, Christopher Kane, Jeremy Scott and Jean Paul Gaultier have referenced religion in their work, which could make for a very interesting exhibition. The nature of the subject, however, could make for a controversial theme when it comes to celebrity dressing at the gala.
harpersbazaar.co.uk

I think this is pretty exciting! There are many designers who have been inspired by religion and collections that are even more relevant today than they were back then (Hussein Chalayan S/S '98 anyone?). Which pieces do you guys think would make it to the exhibition if this is indeed the theme?

Last edited by dodencebt; 08-08-2017 at 04:18 AM.
08-08-2017
V.I.P.

Do they pick themes that result in offensive outfits, each year, on purpose?

Not excited about this, at all!

08-08-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Do they pick themes that result in offensive outfits, each year, on purpose?

Not excited about this, at all!
This time around, expect Katy Perry as Shiva with her body painted bright blue and with gaudy gold covering her naughty bits all in the name of 'art'. Or D&G working overtime to regurgitate their collections over the past 5 years to reflect 'Roman Catholicism'.

Totally agree with you! I think Bolton must think that they're 'reflecting the times we are in' with these themes. So lazy! Art is so much more than that! Where's the progression? I wonder who is brainstorming these themes.....

08-08-2017
front row

If this is true, they should just call it the Madonna theme.
Her brilliant mix of catholicism, fashion and sexuality are just three of the things that make her legendary....and then there's her name.

Everyone else will just show up playing dress up. zzz

08-08-2017
fashion elite

If it's true that Riccardo might still be going to Versace, I can imagine him and Madonna being the hosts. Riccardo has been very influenced by religion, apparently moving to a house that has also been heavily influenced by it and Madonna is.. well, Madonna. She is the embodiment of religion in pop culture if you ask me.

08-08-2017
fashion elite

Not really excited about this as this will be more about catholicism than religion as a whole.
I don't think that the world of 2017 with all that conservative-easily offended mind could handle this kind of subject.

What will it be all about? Lace and the idea of chastity? Not really for this.

I don't understand the issue with celebs. At least, for once, they'll be covered-up. Designers are more and more conscious about whether something will be controversial or not.

Yes, they should dedicate something to Madonna or even Karl. I think he is at the stage where he should receive all his accolades while he is around. But religion? Really? No!
I would love something on American designers working for french couture brands.

08-08-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps View Post
If this is true, they should just call it the Madonna theme.
Her brilliant mix of catholicism, fashion and sexuality are just three of the things that make her legendary....and then there's her name.

Everyone else will just show up playing dress up. zzz
I rolled my eyes at you injecting Madonna into this discussion, BUT, that would be a really cool exhibition, tbh! I'm expecting more cosplay than anything, but still!

08-08-2017
rising star

First thing that came to mind when I saw this is the Chanel dress from 1994 and we all know how that turned out...
(For those who don't know: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-1409011.html)

I personally think it's kind of a cool theme because I see a few amazing old school outfits from back in the day making an appearance (Lacroix mainly) but I can already see this theme being absolutely canned for being offensive to religious people etc etc.

08-08-2017
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiejbob View Post

I personally think it's kind of a cool theme because I see a few amazing old school outfits from back in the day making an appearance (Lacroix mainly) but I can already see this theme being absolutely canned for being offensive to religious people etc etc.

I couldn't help myself.

source: americasbestracing.net

Last edited by dfl-001; 08-08-2017 at 03:19 PM.
08-08-2017
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

So, it's not even been officially announced and everyone is already over the theme, and pinpointing exactly what it will be??

I think, if done well, it could be quite fantastic. There are so many religions to explore and historical articles of clothing that can be included and mixed in with modern interpretations.

Side-note, and perhaps this is a different topic altogether, but since everyone else knows best, what should the next theme be?

08-08-2017
backstage pass

I think we're gonna see Dior HC F/W 06.07, Prada F/W 08.09 and quite a lot of McQueens. My mind doesn't comprehend how is it that a cultural institution is suppoused to comment on culture if so many topics are seen as politically incorrect. The MET cannot be held accountable for the outfits celebrities choose for the gala.

Anyways I'm 90 % sure it's gonna be about Catholicicism, since they're probably afraid of the backlash. I'm sure that Bolton will find an interesting angle for the exhibition, I'm dumbfounded by how some members are already sure that this is gonna be all about lace and rosaries when in fact western art has been shaped so extensively by religion and viceversa.

09-08-2017
fashion insider

If true the exhibit will be exceptional, there are loads of extraordinary looks inspired by religion. The red carpet is another thing, I can imagine all the offense attire now. I don't know which to more excited for, I love a scandal.

09-08-2017
fashion icon

There's going to be a lot of lace and bare asses on the red carpet next year. I honestly wouldn't mind if conservatism made a comeback. Im sick and tired of all these see through dresses. It's a trend that's getting long in the tooth. I wonder if Givenchy will be loaning some of Ricardo's archives, It's a gold mine for this theme.

front row

Lets just make it a free for all and this have the theme be "Cultural Appropriation"...

4 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

Every outfit will be deemed discriminatory or offensive by someone.
If I were invited I wouldnít go. Some group will be offended by anything you wear.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, fashion and religion, gala, met, rumored, theme