How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2011
Unveil Yourself....

Hahaha the one on Romee is mine...sorta loving that :p

twitter.com/ErikP87

19-11-2011
V.I.P.

Even Edward Enninful is surprised at how fast tarsha is :p

Quote:
I love how fast the @fashion_spot kids are!! Just tweeted this image 20 mins ago xoxo http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...-153565-6.html
twitter/EdwardEnninful

less is more

A quote from the latest Industrie magazine, posted by honeycombchild:

Quote:
If the fashion industry was a Saturday night TV celebrity, this would be its scurrilous unofficial biography. The site where fashion is dissected by its fans in a free-for-all of endless analysis and no-holds-barred commentary; a place where industry insiders fear to tread (but go there anyway). Its possible liability: given candid and gossipy nature of its forums, and the impunity with which members scan and upload copyrighted content, is it only a matter of time before an industry giant gets litigious?
Personally, I find the sanctimonious nature of the attitude that Industrie has exhibited towards tFS over its few issues rather annoying. Who do think is buying Industrie, you smug fools?! It's not the average American girl who likes celebrities and shopping. It's us and other like minded individuals you find on fashion message boards and communities, so don't pi*s us off too much, or you'll soon find yourselves with a much smaller customer base.

Rant over.

12-12-2011
V.I.P.

I've never cared much for Industrie, usually am more put off by their let's-make-industry-babies-over-50-smile covers than the banality of the content masked as some deep research on fashion worthy of Valerie Steele, is it a serious magazine like say, Encens?... does it have advertisers? if the latter, I would guess then that those that purchase it aren't really their primary financial source.

Besides, considering the clashing of egos, bet they all add a penny and keep it up themselves just for the massage.

Gah, they're so industrie they probably think Napster still exists and oppose it. Industry giant that starts with a C and ends with a T keeps it civil on a regular basis, it's clearly just a matter of catching up with times and learning to be smart enough to make profit out of new forms of advertisement. Don't blame us if your magazine's very ambitious structure can't live up to the content.

Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
A quote from the latest Industrie magazine, posted by honeycombchild:

Personally, I find the sanctimonious nature of the attitude that Industrie has exhibited towards tFS over its few issues rather annoying. Who do think is buying Industrie, you smug fools?! It's not the average American girl who likes celebrities and shopping. It's us and other like minded individuals you find on fashion message boards and communities, so don't pi*s us off too much, or you'll soon find yourselves with a much smaller customer base.

Rant over.

I've said this before in this thread, but seriously, there are nearly seventy-thousand tfs members.. that's quite a lot of people to potentially piss off..

14-12-2011
V.I.P.

Today ... in New York Magazine:
Quote:
There’s One Internet Forum That Won’t Host Threads About Sasha, Malia, or Other Celebrity Children Miracle of miracles, there is restraint on this here Internet. Recently, a thread for Sasha and Malia Obama on the Fashion Spot emerged in my RSS feed (this was before the flurry of publicity over how they looked at the Christmas in Washington concert on Sunday). I clicked into the feed and: access denied.

The Fashion Spot's managing director, Dana Glazer, explains that the ten-year-old site has a strict policy on who gets covered in the user-generated threads, which is arguably the most comprehensive forum resource for magazine editorials, advertising campaigns, and news about industry figures and fashion-forward celebrities.

While those forums might feel completely insane and eerily obsessive, they are carefully policed by the site's moderators. Threads about celebrity children, like the Obama girls, are not allowed. Forum topics are limited to celebrities who are 14 years and older, though exceptions are made for people like Elle Fanning, who regularly wears labels like Rodarte and Louis Vuitton and has established just the sort of style sense the site aims to cover.

The policy came about not just for legal reasons, but also to preserve the privacy of kids who may not have chosen to become fashion people.

Also, Glazer adds, "Fashion is a term that's used really loosely these days." It's true: just think of all the random celebrities with "fashion" lines.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.
14-12-2011
girl who fell to earth

^^that's great, thanks for bringing it in Bette... nice to see that that policy is recognized and applauded by others

14-12-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Nice of Amy Odell to first inquire and secondly proceed to write it up.

Also nice that somebody gives love to us mods for once

19-12-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I've never cared much for Industrie, usually am more put off by their let's-make-industry-babies-over-50-smile covers than the banality of the content masked as some deep research on fashion worthy of Valerie Steele, is it a serious magazine like say, Encens?... does it have advertisers? if the latter, I would guess then that those that purchase it aren't really their primary financial source.

Besides, considering the clashing of egos, bet they all add a penny and keep it up themselves just for the massage.

Gah, they're so industrie they probably think Napster still exists and oppose it. Industry giant that starts with a C and ends with a T keeps it civil on a regular basis, it's clearly just a matter of catching up with times and learning to be smart enough to make profit out of new forms of advertisement. Don't blame us if your magazine's very ambitious structure can't live up to the content.
I sort of like Industrie, but yeah, their last tFS feature pissed me off and obviously, this one as well.

They have no clue about tFS. No-holds-barred? Excuse me? Negative opinions are as accepted as positive ones but continued negativity or personal attacks are NOT permitted. Not even rudish language for heaven's sake.

It's sort of fascinating how the fashion world seems to think it should be exempt from criticism. You have it everywhere else. Everyone who works and puts out their stuff gets criticized. All the time. The only people that have a right to complain are the models who are young, impressionable and criticized based upon their appearance. But the SC mods are very careful to remove hurtful comments as well, so it shouldn't be so much of an issue. Besides, I'm sure criticism from tFS is the least of their problems...

19-12-2011
Mr. Magic

From style.com

Quote:
We first spotted Kati Nescher treading the boards at the Spring ‘12 shows, walking for labels like Marni (where she opened and closed), YSL, Celine, and Stella McCartney and eventually earning her place among our Top Ten Models of the season. Though she’s older than most of her catwalk compatriots (at 27) and, like fellow model Arizona Muse, has a young son, Nescher’s star is undeniably on the rise. She booked the high-profile Louis Vuitton Spring campaign with Steven Meisel (alongside Daria Strokous), and today brought news as well that she’s the Spring face of Pringle of Scotland, shot by David Benjamin Sherry. A recent interview with The Cut revealed that she’s been shooting with Juergen Teller. That could mean just about anything, but on the Fashion Spot forums, model diehards are already speculating it means one of the big coups: a Celine campaign. Time will tell.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
12-03-2012
V.I.P.

Says model on the rise Lara Mullen, ďIíve developed an unhealthy obsession with Googling myself and checking my Fashion Spot page. Generally, people write really nice things, but someone called me plain the other day. I suppose it could be worse.Ē [Telegraph UK] (via nymag)

Mr. Magic

US Elle August 2012
pdf-giant.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stewart.jpg (126.4 KB, 111 views)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
25-10-2012
V.I.P.

Yay for tFS!!

OMMA http://www.mediapost.com/ommaawards/winners/ has named tFS the 2012 Winner for Website Excellence in this category:
Quote:

Fashion/Beauty/CosmeticstheFashionSpot by Evolve Media Corp. for theFashionSpot

The Fashion Spot offers everything from photos of celebrity wardrobe malfunctions, to lists of best discount sites, to advice about which beauty rules to break. A Macy’s sponsored section, The Denim Diaries, features writers for the site posing in different jeans and commenting about what to wear with them. The 11-year-old site, which began as an invitation-only forum for designers and stylists, now draws 2.4 million unique visitors each month.

Credits: Mike Dodge, President, AtomicOnline Dana Glazer, Co-Managing Director, AtomicOnline

13-11-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
As One PR exec told me recently, the designers he works with are more interested to heard what the anonymous commenters on TheFashionSpot.com have to say about their collections than the mighty critics.

Source: Dirk's Tour, Style.com/Print Magazine Spring 2013

15-11-2012
V.I.P.

that's both interesting and scary considering the amount of commenters who don't really know much about fashion or are very biased if their favorite model is in the show or something.

However, I will say that there are a lot of commenters in the runway threads that do bring a lot of interesting discussion to the fashion week collections threads, but it might get hidden amongst the comments like. "eww" or "boring" or "isn't this balenciaga blah blah" you get my drift.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clippings, fashion, mentions, news, snippets, spot